Speed Triple Rs 4th Gear Problems

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Albi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stewart mccann

stewart mccann New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Aberdeen
    This has been happening to me from when I bought mine last year! Been in to the local dealer 4 times now and still happening.

2. David solowitz

David solowitz New Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Durham north carolina
    What all work had been done?

3. stewart mccann

stewart mccann New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Aberdeen
    Reset something twice then reset again and then apparently my quickshifter was fitted from new with the wrong measurement so that was adjusted which seemed to be a lot better but it happened again on Sunday, staring to think it’s me that’s the problem

4. David solowitz

Apr 12, 2020
    Durham north carolina
    Its not... too many people having this problem

5. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Hi Guys . . . I've been busy with other stuff for a while and not been on the forum. Jeez . . the false neutral story has netted yet more with the same problem. I've not ridden my new S3 yet because I want to get the clearcoat sorted before my first ride and of course, lockdown intervened and so it's been sitting in my garage looking all forlorn. Hoping to get the parts taken to the paintshop one day next week. . .
    The number of folks with this issue, you have got to think the penny will start to dawn with Triumph that they have a problem and can't remain in denial for ever. I note a number of owners with the slipping gearbox problem after a history of false neutrals. I have had a number on my 1050 Tiger over the years but of course, this has only ever happened with the clutch pulled and that is bad enough . . . I hate to think what it is like with the engine pushing out the ponies and the gears slam under load. I suspect that each and every incident will damage the box to some degree. I feel for you guys - it is most unsatisfactory!!! Hopefully all the affected bikes will get fixed by your dealers but yeh . . I would lay off the IEDs for sure - not worth the risk IMHO

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. White-Vador

White-Vador Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2019
    South of France
    Hello

excuse me for my English because I am French :p
    I have been interested in the QS gate for more than a year now.
    since I've been on a real QS (HM SABS PRO), all the problems have disappeared ;)

the destruction of the box is due to a whole bunch of technical problems which together trigger the famous IED ....

1 kill time at high rev are too short

2the clamp problem that causes the cut to be made before the gear is engaged

3 the spring of the selector cylinder too hard

4 the famous 146.7mm setting, not at all adapted to the morphology of some like me, which doesn't allow a good gear shift

5 I also suspect that in some cases the clutch cable is still a bit stuck (after removing the lever, lightly sand the bearings and lubricate it's ok).

My return to the HM :

3000 to 5000 rpm = 72ms
    5000 to 6500 rpm = 76ms
    I must have significantly increased the cut-off time from 6500 to 10000 rpm to 80ms.
    but especially from 10,000 to 11,500 to 88 ms.

if I use the average setting which is 65ms on most bikes, I get the feeling of the oem.

finally the last point the sensitivity, I had to lower it to 40% which is very low and shows that the selection is hard.

with that settings i don't have a seamless gear box but all the shifting are smooth (3;4;5;6 never used in 1;2)

for info the HM cuts the "ride by wire" not the ignition ;)

• Like Like x 3
  7. David solowitz

Apr 12, 2020
    Durham north carolina
    This is a great rundown of the issue that I'm going to show my mechanic!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    Blimey, not got up to date on this, it’s gone on a bit!

9. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    Are you still using the settings which I sent over?

10. NZTriumph

NZTriumph New Member

Jul 20, 2020
    New Zealand
    #470 NZTriumph, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Hi Guys,
    New to the forums and unfortunately joining because I found this thread!
    Have a 2018 RS and encountered this problem several times yesterday. I'm not a regular user of the quickshifter but was doing some track riding yesterday and decided to use it. I wasn't hammering it, but was riding "briskly" as they say.
    I got consistent false neutrals between 4th and 5th, then a clunk into gear, several times over the day. Also had delayed gear change indication on the TFT, seemed to go into 4th, then change to 5th, wouldn't change to sixth, but 4th indicated on the TFT, then It would jump straight to 6 on the TFT.
    It was incredibly off putting, and even more so now I've fornd out its a common problem for a lot of us owners.
    Rang the dealer this morning, and aside from the linkage recall, he knew "of no other issues in New Zealand" with quickshifters on the RS. I'll drop it in for an inspection in the next week or so & update.

11. David solowitz

Apr 12, 2020
    Durham north carolina
    I'll add that my dealer replaced the input shaft with all the gears attached as well as 4th gear on the output shaft. He suspected that the tolerances are very specific from factory and that if set incorrectly can lead to the false neutrals which cause damage to the gear box. I can say with certainty that the transmission and the quickshifter are working MUCH better since the replacement.

• Like Like x 2
  12. kazzz

kazzz New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Belgium
    Update:

Problem is solved for my friend and me. No more false neutrals after +2000km's in various riding conditions...
    So they changed the gearbox (new one warranty) and my guess is also they adjusted the timing between 4th and 5th. We feel the shift from 4th to 5th has a slight delay in contrast to the others...

But very pleased to issue is solved!

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    #473 Ducatitotriumph, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    i've had the qs fitted to mine (speed rs '18) a few months ago and there is definitely a longer electronic delay between 4-5 than the other gears.
    Not sure if thats a new thing (the timing) but I have the newer arm on too.
    Ironically , I had this WITHOUT a qs fitted (under hard acceleration) and the big clunk when it slotted in.
    Only had it once but wowsa, what a bang when it clunked in.
    Not had it with the qs BUT i'm definitely more aware of changing gear with the qs on 4 to 5.
    One thing I did notice is that the round connecting rod/pivot was extremely loose (foot pedal end) and only had a few turns left.
    As this is behind a "foam" washer, it's VERY hard to spot. 8mm spanner to tighten.
    It's alot more of a positive shift now and well worth a look.
    Others have had the same issue with that which is why I looked.

• Like Like x 2
  14. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    I had exact same happen to my 2019 RS over the weekend, on a 1000 mile round trip to Scotland. only about 2800 miles on clock when it started
    started with the gear shift issue from 4th top 5th, hitting false neutrals, then a few hundred miles later started getting issues in 4th gear under acceleration.
    one of the other guys on the ride out had similar issues with his and warned me likely to the gearbox.
    got it booked in with dealer for next week, now reading this thread can see it really is a common problem.

15. AtomicGarden

AtomicGarden New Member

Sep 9, 2020
    Belgium
    I just read through this thread.
    I am considering buying an 2020 rs at the dealer that has been used as a demo bike with the QS installed.

Does the 2020 model have the same problems?

16. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    took the triumph mechanic all of 10mins to confirm it was a new gearbox job. they need to go through warranty process, but are not expecting any problems with triumph uk.
    so now just waiting for the call to confirm when they will come collect it.
    the mechanic explained there was some part of the old quick shifter that was catching, causing the timing issues when changing between 4/5th.
    the recall should have resolved, but he seems to think that some were already damaged.
    curious to see if there is any noticeable difference between shifting once i get it back

• Like Like x 1
  17. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    i would like to think so! they are clearly aware of the problem hence the QS recall.
    but i wouldnt like to say for certain

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Sounds like that mechanic deserves the Nobel prize, because Triumphs well paid engineers still can’t resolve the issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Snusmumrik

Snusmumrik Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    #479 Snusmumrik, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Hi, all

This is my first post here.
    I guess it will be a little long-winded, but it is introduction + topic discussion, so please bear with me. :)

I've read through the whole thread, very good that I have done it, because I think I am about to buy a new Speed Triple RS in white/red (mat black/neon is not a looker).
    I was about to order it with QS/B, but now I think I will exclude that part, but, I must say, it is a shame!

Currently I possess 2014 Daytona 675 with QS and it works quite good for being so old, a little jerky in gears 1 and 2 at lower rpms.

I also have 2017 GSX-R1000R with QS/B and that works perfectly, also from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 1, even in low rpms. I use qs/b quite often, especially 1 to 2, never a false neutral, never any problem, and since these are my street bikes I do not shift at 10k rpm (that would be licence gone).

Last week I took Speed RS out for a test ride, then Street RS and then Speed RS again. Street RS is exciting, but it makes me go faster than Speed RS, even though I preferred to ride Speed in 2nd and Street in 3rd for some reason! In the end I feel Speed fits me better, also, it is the last classic-looking big naked, the next Speed RS will be lighter, more powerful, etc but it will look like everything else on the street and who knows what teething problems it will have, I would not want to be a test bunny.

When I was riding Speed RS, which had QS/B, I, of course, used the function, expecting it to behave as the one on Suzuki. I was very surprised by very strong bangs blipping from 2nd to 1st at lower rpms, the whole bike shuddered. The QS/B on the Street RS seemed much more smooth.

The QS/B on Speed seems to be an afterthought, the "reworked" gearbox is too ancient for that technology.

Given that Triumph is about to release the next supernaked, and discontinue 1050 Speed RS, I doubt they will waste time searching for solutions. Speed RS owners are out of luck, imho.

Still, it seems at least two of the forumites on this thread had their bikes fixed good, the gentlemen from Belgium, who had gearbox changed and timings adjusted.

I am really on the fence about QS/B. I doubt Triumph will fix the gearbox and adjust timing for the new Speed RS bikes they still will produce. :-(

Shame, to be honest, that a 2020 bike cannot handle a QS/B.

So, the final suggestion here is to NOT buy QS/B for Speed RS, am I correct?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    i must admit i took everything he said with a pinch of salt, ultimately he works for a triumph dealer so not exactly impartial.
    that combined with fact that almost everyone who has had the recall is still getting issues.

• Agree Agree x 1