Speed Triple Rs 4th Gear Problems

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Albi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Ah, so you had a major quickshifter / gearbox issue prior. Makes sense that the 4th gear problem is happening now. Sure be nice if Triumph would fix the forking issue. Pardon my culinary language :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. kazzz

kazzz New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Belgium
    Hey Steve, since we are in “testing phase” we use it as before.
    So I shift at all kind of ranges and load.
    Before the GB replacement I would already had several misshifts.
    Again, I keep testing. Next weekend another big run.

But again: me and my friend drove the speeds from km 0 as we do now and we had almost from the start this issue. When we drove it with the clutch manually, no issue at all.

So by changing the GB and not the QS, I was thinking the problem would not be solved. But it seems it did. So if I’m not wrong, the issue is the gearbox and not the QS?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yes it makes perfect sense that it’s there is some inconsistencies with the gearbox’s. Some are ok and others not. Good luck, sounds like you’re going to be fine though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. David solowitz

David solowitz New Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Durham north carolina
    My bike is missing 4-5 aka false neutrals so my mechanic told me stop using it. He wanted to open up the gearbox because he thinks it's the input shaft that causes this problem with qs between 4 and 5. I didnt let him do it because even though my bike is under warranty, if he opens up the gear box and finds nothing wrong then I'm stuck with the bill... and it's a BIG BILL!

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Is it out of warranty? If not it should be covered.

6. David solowitz

Apr 12, 2020
    Durham north carolina
    No it's still in warranty, the bike doesnt have any issues with 4th gear.... yet.... its giving me false neutrals even with new shift linkage and I know if it keeps happening damage will result. The mechanic at my shop wanted crack the gearbox open to see if maybe we could preemptively solve the problem before the QS ruins the gearbox. Sadly, the way warranties work here is that if the mechanic is doing work trying to diagnose a problem, and no problem can be found, then I'm stuck paying for the labor because there is no problem that "needs" to be warrantied.
    Hope that makes sense

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I get what you are saying, but there is a problem. The bike is false neutraling and not working as advertised. Oh well, just destroy the damn gearbox and give it back to them at the end of the riding year, if it lasts that long, and tell them to fix it. Very frustrating for the owners of bikes that are experiencing this issue.

8. David solowitz

Apr 12, 2020
    Durham north carolina
    True but it isnt guaranteed that the gear box is messed up "yet!" So until it is broken they wont pay!
    I agree though, I'm not too happy about it especially considering I just came from an mv agusta that spent MONTHS in the shop

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That sucks. Best of luck.

10. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    From a safety point of view I'd get the dealer to take the bike out and risk there lives making it miss gears...... When I had mine I considered it to be completely dangerous, lack of control even for a few seconds could be catastrophic, especially the speeds them things can go.
    Just reject the bike and get another, without the sodding qs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. David solowitz

Apr 12, 2020
    Durham north carolina
    I would... but I cant exactly ask the dealer to go out and make 60mph hard passes on city streets. I posted about another issue about how the bike would shake pretty bad coming from a stop if i only tried slipping the clutch with little to no gas. I complained do a few different dealers since I had the bike. Luckily the dealer I go to now ACTUALLY listens to me and pulled the clutch. 5 burnt plates! And since the clutch is a wear item I'm paying the bill even though its had the issue since new.
    Just the way "warranty" work is in my neck of the woods.

12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Absolute BS!

13. kazzz

kazzz New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Belgium
    Just for your understanding:

I had like 5 to 8 misshifts, and my 4th cog was already severely damaged.
    So even with some misshifts, it goes very fast. But the most dangerous in my opinion was that there were a lot of particles in the oil (because of the damage)... so the longer you wait...

You can maybe ask them for an oil swap, cost you a lot less and look at the oil together with them. If any particles are in there... you can be sure the swap will be under warranty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    You are correct. It doesn’t take many false neutrals to destroy the gearbox. I had lots of chunks of metal in my oil as well. That really concerned me because the potential for that to circulate through to the top end of the engine is quite good.

• Like Like x 1
  15. David solowitz

Apr 12, 2020
    Durham north carolina
    They did just change the oil but he didnt seem concerned about the amount of metal flaking within the old oil... which is good?!

16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That’s probably because it’s not there own personal bike. If there is damage to the dogs then there will most likely be chunks in the oil, not just flakes. That was one of the reasons I didn’t want to keep the bike. When I did my first oil change I strained the oil and there were a few good size chunks in the oil. I kept the pieces of metal and showed the dealer. They did an oil change as well and found more pieces of metal. Not good. They gave me the bike back and said just keep riding it and they would fix any damage under warranty. After it started slipping in 4th gear it was dangerous to ride and I gave the bike back to them for replacement or to be repaired.

17. kazzz

kazzz New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Belgium
    And another 600km extra.

I dear to say our problem is solved. We both hadn’t 1 false neutral after + 1000km.

Only thing we noticed: clutchlever is “loose”. When we ride, it is wobbling in the air. Also with you guys?

2nd: we both feel a noticeably dib when shifting from 4th to 5th. It feels like they added some extra ms to the shift timing so it has an increased delay (or longer power cut) between 4th and 5th.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. David solowitz

Apr 12, 2020
    Durham north carolina
    I asked them if they could change cut but they said only factory can do it.
    Did you ask the opinion of your mechanic what he thinks the original problem with the gearbox was?
    My mechanic test road mine and got a false neutral on normal driving conditions and now he wants to break open the gearbox even though 4th gear hasnt broken yet. The only problem is that if he opens it up and finds nothing wrong then I'm stuck with the bill even though he is highly recommending we split the case.

19. kazzz

kazzz New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Belgium
    If he also had a false neutral, he will find a broken 4th gear :)

20. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    It's the shaft and selector that will be faulty, the tolerances are so precise, little bits had sheared off mine through faulseys.

They were replaced, he had a look at the gear itself and it was fine....... I was actually watching him do the job, so I know first hand, I did take pics but can I hell find them sorry.

I didn't have the bike long after that so can't comment but I believe the bike has had no other issue with it's gear box, my only advice is to get rid of the qs all together, get your money back and spend it on something else for your bike.

Screenshot_20200531-083337.jpg

• Like Like x 2