Speed Triple Rs 4th Gear Problems

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Albi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Well, good luck.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Trippy Tripple

Trippy Tripple Senior Member

Nov 23, 2019
    London
    Hey Albi, having the same issue with my RS. Was this fixed in the end? Did they say what exactly was the problem?

Thanks

3. Trippy Tripple

Nov 23, 2019
    London
    Hey guys,

Seem to be having the same problem as some of the posts in this thread. I had the QS issue fixed after the recall. I do tend to use my clutch a lot more, but when I use the shifter and blipper, no longer seem to have an issue...

However, now there seems to be an issue in 4th gear, when I accelerate, the rear wheel seems to skip / jerk. Similar to some of the issues a few of you have had.

Have reached out to after sales to see if they can help during lockdown and believe should be under warranty.

Did anyone get this problem resolved? If so, can you let me know what the problem was and what needed to be fixed. Also, did it fall under warranty?

Thanks a lot

4. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Triumph doesn’t know what the problem is unfortunately. I’ve talked to everyone I could from Triumph. They have left me high and dry with the replacement bike, as it false neutraled on me while riding it home after picking it up from the dealer.

5. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    The 4th gear issue has the bike reving up in that gear when hard on the throttle. So shift into 4th and then start accelerating hard and most of the time the bike will rev up without putting the power down. That can be a very dangerous situation. This has happened to a number of us after experiencing the false neutrals resulting in the gear dogs smashing into one another. The dealer said mine were damaged pretty bad when they pulled it apart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Trippy Tripple

Nov 23, 2019
    London
    Yep. That's what's happening to mine now. Thanks for letting me know. Did triumph do anything about it? Was it fixed in the end?

I'm waiting for a response from aftersales and will let you all know the outcome...

7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Have you read through this thread from the beginning, because this has been discussed at length here. To fix my bike they were waiting on parts to rebuild the gearbox, no other way to fix the issue. I wrote the CEO and received a replacement bike. Mine sat in the shop for over three weeks with nothing being done. Unacceptable. Your gearbox will most likely need to be repaired or completely rebuilt by the sounds of it.

As far as the quickshifter issue, aftersales and the dealer can’t help, as they have no idea as to what the real malfunction is. Their BS fix is the shift arm replacement, which did not fix the issue on either of my bikes. If you have a bike that doesn’t have a malfunctioning quickshifter, you’re lucky. If you do, you’re $h/t out of luck.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Trippy Tripple

Nov 23, 2019
    London
    That's helpful. Thanks for summarising. Sorry, I didn't read every post in the thread. 22 pages...!

Yep, I know about the QS problem. Mine seems to be fine since the recall, but I barely use it now and opt for the clutch in most cases. My issue now is with the skipping wheel in 4th, which by the sounds of it seems to be a gearing problem as a result of the original QS issue. So I guess a new gearbox or gears seems to be the necessary fix.

Thanks again. Appreciate you explaining. And sorry triumph have been so sh*t - to you and everyone that owns a Speed... Which by the way is supposed to be one of (if not the) their showpiece bikes...

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Well they did give me a replacement bike, which was the right thing to do, it’s just too bad they can’t fix the malfunctioning quickshifter issue. Cheers and good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kazzz

kazzz New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Belgium
    Little update from our side:

We drove yesterday 500km's and guess what:
    - 0 false neutrals for both our bikes

We are mild optimistic they solved our issue. What they told us was they changed the gearbox completely.

I'll keep you updated.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dickie

Dickie Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    Are the QS & 4th gear issues related or separate?

I'm thinking of px'ing my 09 Aprilia RSV1000R & 15 Speed R for a 19 Speed RS (without QS) but I'm nervous although the none Triumph dealer is offering 2 years or 5k miles warranty.

What do you unfortunate people think?

12. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Senior Member
    Subscriber

Apr 25, 2019
    Kettering
    go for it. BUT....
    I'd like to keep the aprillia though if I had the choice though.
    Just take it out (or a loaner) to see if it's worth it first though.
    Not sure about the 5k mileage warranty?
    I thought it was 2 year, unlimited mileage as standard???

13. Dickie

Dickie Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks

2 year/ 5000 mile warranty on a used bike from a non Triumph dealer.

14. kazzz

kazzz New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Belgium
    Again little update: drove another 100km without false neutrals.
    Could it be the gearbox was the issue, and not the QS???

15. Rspete

Rspete Noble Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    If it's an older 19 plate colour scheme definitely, the rs is a great bike, without the q's.
    The new colour schemes are absolutely disgusting imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dickie

Dickie Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    Yes, its old white - I'm with you on the new colours, I wonder if it effected sales?

• Like Like x 2
  17. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I’m unaware of anyone having fourth gear issues without having the quick shifter issue prior. The fourth gear issue is a result of damaged dogs in the gearbox from the quick shifter issue. So it should be a safe bet if you get one that’s never had a quick shifter on it.

18. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Sounds good. How have you been using the quick shifter? Any full throttle very high rpm shifts? These are the shifts that I had problems with. Low RPM shifting was never an issue.

19. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Senior Member
    Subscriber

Apr 25, 2019
    Kettering
    Hi @SteveRS,
    I've had this ONCE on a st-rs when giving it gas in forth.
    Only the once but horrible sound and crunch.
    I bought the bike with just 680 miles on it from a triumph main dealer.
    I'm now on 4850 without further incident but its a horrible sound.
    I can't tell if it had a qs on it before I bought it but I did mention it to the dealers when it was in for a service and the two triumph engineers looked at each other....
    They didn't notice that i'd seen them....

20. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I didn’t know Street triples were also having the quickshifter issue.