Speed Triple Rs 4th Gear Problems

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Albi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thinking about this a little more, if they find any damage to the gears or anything that would cause bits of metal to be free to circulate throughout the engine, then I think a new engine or a new bike is the only acceptable option as those bits of metal could have done additional damage to other parts of the engine.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Albi

Albi Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Richmond
    Still waiting for a reply to my email (stating I want a replacement bike) I should of got my repaired bike back today. No contact from them yet. I will keep you posted.

3. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    So did they repaired the gearbox and put a new quickshifter on and try to give it back to you?

4. Albi

Albi Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Richmond

Nah, QS went within two months. Just stopped working whilst out riding. Took it in and got a new one fitted. Still had false neutrals though. Then had a really harsh false neutral shortly before my resent problem. And turns out that 4th gear is damaged.

5. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yes I’m aware of your problem, as I have them to. What I meant was, you said you should of had your bike back yesterday. Does that mean they repaired the gearbox and tried to give you the bike back?

6. Albi

Albi Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Richmond
    Not heard from them since Saturday. Should of had a call to organise the swop yesterday/today. Was pretty much guaranteed the bike would be sorted today

7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Oh, ok.

8. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Sounds like you guys are carrying out Triumphs research & development :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yes it would appear that way :mad:. If I don’t get a new engine or a replacement bike, I’m going to ask for double the warranty to have some assurance against possible future problems that were caused by the quickshifter.

10. Albi

Albi Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Richmond

The dealer has agreed to a replacement bike.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That’s great news. Did that come from triumph or your dealership?

12. Albi

Albi Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Richmond
    I believe the dealership.

13. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    When do you get it?

14. Albi

Albi Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Richmond
    7 to 14 days time

• Like Like x 3
  15. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Have you or has anyone reading this heard anything about Triumph sorting this out on a broad(er) scale? I'm going to talk to the guys at my dealership and see what--if anything--they know about this quick shifter deal.

16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    My dealer said triumph didn’t confirm nor deny there’s an issue.

17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hmmm... Well, the Tucson dealership may have the same response. We shall see. What your dealer said sounds like a pat response recommended by a legal team. Or maybe Triumph just simply doesn't know what's up. I probably won't be able to ride over to my dealer until later this week and I think this discussion probably would be best in person and face-to-face rather than on the phone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, I haven't made it to my Triumph dealership yet but I did manage to get out on my bike yesterday morning for a 40 mile ride. I specifically and intently paid attention to the performance of my quick shifter. As instructed by the manual, I always use the clutch when "stopping and pulling away". And I typically use the clutch when going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to first but experimented with that, too. I was able to run through all the gears a bunch the route I rode was varied--some city, some suburbia, and some frontage roads with freeway-like speed limits. I am relieved and glad to report that I experienced nary a hiccup and my bike shifted beautifully using the quick shifter. I got a pretty good "clunk" one time when downshifting from 3rd down to 2nd and I was probably doing something "off"--a bit too fast, closing the throttle too much, etc. But I was really pleased with how my quick shifter worked throughout the ride. No high revving followed by the dreaded slamming into gear. And my shifting seems the most smooth both upshifting and downshifting from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th. When I pulled back into my garage after my ride I checked my odometer which indicated 1,720 miles. I still plan to pick the brains of the guys at my local "Triumph World" and will share what they tell me. Any new news from anyone else following this thread??

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Well I heard from the dealer today and after dropping the oil pan they found some small flakes of metal, so they are going to remove the transmission for a complete inspection. It’s been there 9 days so far and it’s not looking like it’s coming home any time soon :confused:. The new bike purchase experience has definitely turned sour.

20. V.L.

V.L. New Member

May 10, 2019
    Latvia
    So better don't buy QS ?

• Agree Agree x 1