Speed Triple Rs 4th Gear Problems

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Albi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Like I said “everything brand new”. Whole new gearbox including part 13, new arm, new quickshifter and new “hope” that it was resolved. :pensive:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Sorry, when I said new arm I mean new revised arm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    I cant explain that then unless it wasn't set up right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    With everything replaced besides the top of the engine, it really is a new bike. Getting another bike, that could potentially have the same issue, would be very disappointing and something I wouldn’t want to entertain at this point. Triumph really needs to sort this bloody issue. I really love this damn bike, but with all the problems and time lost, I wish I bought something else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    Spoke to my triumph dealer yesterday..it’s due a service and mentioned the prob with the shifter..funny enough said he wasn’t aware..anyway he said any probs they have had with them was due to set up and fitting and they’ve fixed them by recalibration and correct fitting.funny when he already said he wasn’t aware off any probs.also mentioned gear linkage.
    Iv e mailed triumph uk aswell and waiting for reply to show dealer..see what happens..

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #246 Glyn Phillips, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Hi Steve, after you gave me a telling off on another thread I thought I’d read the thread you are talking about and yes you’ve all suffered problems resulting from a poor installation from Triumph of the QS load sensor.

Although I also read that you were using it as a QS at 8000 rpm and that will cause a bumpy shift as the ignition delay is too short to match those revs, 9500 rpm and above is where the QS should be at its optimal.

I do appreciate your pain with this issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    9500 rpm or above...... dude I'd be going to prison at those rpm's, i do agree with what you've just said, they should only be used in the higher rev range, a qs on the road is completely pointless and I've got one fitted, wished i didnt bother with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #248 Glyn Phillips, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    The problem with QuickShifters is that they’re made for race bikes, if they’re not used correctly they’re gonna destroy the gearbox..

If the rpm is too low the delay in ignition cut means the engine has loaded the gearbox before the change has been completed and bang, metal breaking.

Not a fault of the shifter, but looking at these problems there does seem to be manufacturing issues if the load sensor fouls the linkage and user error which equals catastrophic failure.

If you’re not at massive revs change with the throttle closed

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    #249 SteveRS, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    It’s not an “installation” issue Glyn, why would you assume that all of us that are having quickshifter issues had the quickshifter installed incorrectly, and where are you getting this BS from? That was the first thing that was checked. And for the record, I wasn’t telling you off, I was informing you of a major problem that Triumph has, that you were not aware of. I ride my bike hard and shift at close to and at red line on most rides. It failed randomly at all of those rpm’s. Myself and others who have had this problem are well aware that it has to be a deliberate shift and at higher rpm’s, but that is “not” the issue here. In fact Triumph still has no fix as of yet. I’m in constant contact with Triumph and my dealer, and they still have no answers for me. I apologize if I’m passionate about this issue, but after spending over $20,000 on a bike that is advertising to have a working quickshifter, but gernades my gearbox inside of two weeks then leaves me without a bike for three more to then have the second gearbox do the same thing again, infuriates me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #250 Glyn Phillips, Aug 10, 2019
    The reason I said installation issue if the body of the QS is catching the linkage that’s an installation issue.if Triumph installed it like that,it’s incorrect, and you seem to think I’m having a pop at you, but I’m only pointing out issues that you guys have put on here.

But I’ll refrain from pointing out this BS that you posted pictures oft

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Englishbandit

Englishbandit Active Member

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    #251 Englishbandit, Aug 10, 2019
    Sorry to say i never here good things about Triumph, starting to wish i never bought another one (had one before for a very short time) I swap one or two of my bikes every year. In last 10 years had around 40 bike. from xt660 to gsxr, cbr z1000 and so on. I have all sorts of bikes i always have 3 or 4 in the garage. I must say the only bikes i have had bloody problems with is the Triumph. Bloody pain they are. Once i get rid of the new one i have bought (6 to 12 months if i can live with it) i will not ever get anther one. I have just bought a 2011 Speed Triple,4800 mile one owner as new really is in show room condition (and i love the look and build quality of the bike and intended to keep it for a long time ). never been ridden hard bloke was over 50 chicken strips were 3" and still on oem tyres (i had to change ) So far i have done 3 miles then it had to go back to shop for a new clutch (bike had only done 28 miles in 3 years) plates all stuck (any other bike would have been fine sick of hearing Triumphs are like that REALLY). got bike back went out for first proper ride only to find after 20 miles or so when discs had wormed up the bloody things are warped ? and after doing some checking lots of triumph riders have had discs replaced under warranty for this problem My bike has now been picked up by Triumph and they are trying to tell me it will be a month before they can check and sort it out. that means i will have bought the bike almost 4 weeks ago and they have had the bike 3 of those weeks (clutch which i could have done in 2 hours) and are telling me i might not get the bike back for another month (wankers if not done in 2 weeks i am going to get it and will fit Brembo discs and pads myself then fight them for the money) . If Triumph are going to over price there bikes at least make sure the parts are the best they can be and work as they should to justify the price of the bikes...... I knew i should have bought a CB1000r instead lol .I have a cbr 929 that is 19 years old never skipped a beat and rides better ?. and never had the valves checked that triumph seam to think must be done or the bike will fall apart as soon as it hits 12.000 miles. REALLY Then try to justify £600 bills. I know a lad that has 50.000 miles on his tiger with only home servicing at least its done right then. And no valve check done (still had other problems with the bike). I went to a big well known main Triumph dealer to fit a new cam chain tensioner on my tiger 800 last year (at there cost or i would have fitted it). the lad that did the work was at the main desk giving the keys and left over bits back to the man on the desk and did not know i had walked up behind him only to hear the man on the desk say why has this gasket not been used and the lad replied i just rammed a screw driver down it to hold it? Not what you want to hear from a main dealer. Triumph seam to be over priced have lots of problems. that most the time from what I hear they tell there customers its not a fault with the bike its the way you ride.......I know this is nothing to do with the QS but I hear lots and lots of people having problems with the QS even if only half of them are not working right Triumph should stop fitting them till its sorted. In my opinion there is no need for a QS on a bloody road bike. Me and my mates ride very fast (you know the sort that piss you off if they come up behind you and you have not moved over for them to pass) I have no need for a QS at all on the road .Think my speed triple will be my last Triumph sadly. Oh and i rode the 2019 speed triple last week on a test ride with the QS even as fast as we ride there was no need for me to red line the bike on the road. my fz1n will do 150mph easy at 9000 rpms.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Sort of agree with ya mate, think triumphs now are built to last as long as the pcp deals.
    Its weird cos every time i go out i always end up grabbing the keys for my old thunderbird, now those were built to last.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Englishbandit

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    #253 Englishbandit, Aug 10, 2019
    Yes that’s the annoying thing I do all my own work on my bikes. I strip cbr 929s for a living. Been working on bikes sins I was 14 so can do most jobs. Because bike is under the shops warranty. I have to let some other numpty try and tell me what I already know. Pissing me off big time. Triumph like to talk the talk but can not walk the walk expensive show rooms to make the new bike/novice or people that like there cock to be held when they are over paying or getting ripped off, feel special?. Talk a load of bollocks to them then charge them way over the top for a bike then kill them on service bills. but they will come away saying i got a free cup of tea when i was there such nice lads ? All they want is your money then you can feck off they are just sales men now. I am an old school bike .You stop and help any bike on the side of the road. I have lost count of how many times I have picked up bikers and there bikes in my van and got them home. Gone are the days your local shop owner is a real biker and in business for the love of bikes and to make money of coarse. I was riding home last year on my bike and i came up on a lad that had broke down. stopped of coarse to help (un like the new riders that know feck all about real biking) bike was not going to be fixed and he had no AA cover. I was only 10 miles from home and was on way back anyway i went home got my van then went back for him picked him up and took him the 15 miles or so home (no charge or money taken). that's what biking is about. not riding 10 mile to your local meet sit there for 5 fecking hours talking bollocks then ride the 10 miles home. when we go out we ride 100 to 150 miles every time half way out quick drink / sandwich then on home..... better stop I think i have been ranting a bit. role on next year when i do Lochness on the bikes again

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    No one has said it’s an installation issue. With the linkage arm contacting the quickshifter, that’s a manufacturing issue. The arm was not made correctly for the application. There is only one correct way to install the arm and shifter, so it comes down to a gearbox or quickshifter issue, or both perhaps. Sorry for saying BS, but this whole thing is really pissing me off. At this point, all I want from Triumph is a refund for the quickshifter and a shift rod installed. Anyways I apologize for coming off like a grumpy old man, I’m really not that old or grumpy, yet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Englishbandit

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    No worries mate by the time you finish with Triumph you will be and you will never buy another one. Just hand pumps the lot of them. If there is a problem with a bike it should be fixed they should not try everything they can to get out of it.They know there is a fault but bike only has to get passed the warranty period then we can all go feck ourselves. Bikers do not take there bikes back for fun, we want to ride them not have them in a shop for no reason

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I agree with what you said, except for the no need to red line remark ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I’ve only owned two Triumphs.
    So far no issues to report, a recall was carried out on my fairing a few weeks ago, other than that they’ve been really good rewarding bikes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Fancy110

Fancy110 New Member

Aug 13, 2019
    Germany
    Dear all,

i am from germany and have the same issue as you described with my new speedy with new linkage arm installed.

If i shift from the 3rd to the 4th gear with the quickshifter, i partially have "false neutrals". The rpm is about 6000 to 8000.... If i realize this quickly i can pull the clutch lever to avoid some gearbox "crunches". This happens about 5 times for now..... Bike got 3000km on the engine.

Do you have any more informations from Triumph UK about this issue? Maybe some hints to communicate to my dealer.

Thanks and best greetings

Patrick

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. IlaOblomow

IlaOblomow New Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Berlin
    I never had Problems between 3-4th Gear even with the old linkage. I wonder if those are separate problems. My only problems were a bit resistance by switching the gears, especially the 6th gear. Now with the new linkage the problems disappeared. I have the feeling that the QS works better in the sport mode then in the road mode.

20. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I suggest you read this thread and the other thread titled “quickshifter problems”. It’s all in there. So far nothing from Triumph to resolve the issue for all of us. Some have said the new linkage has resolved the issue for them personally. I’ve had no luck. My advice is to STOP using your quickshifter or your gearbox will be toast. Wait for Triumph to release an actual fix. Personally they have lost my trust. I won’t be using the quickshifter on my bike ever again. I want a refund for the value of the quickshifter, and a shift rod to replace it.