Speed Triple Rs 2020 -

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Stewcos, Apr 17, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stewcos

Stewcos Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Surrey
    Good morning all!

Recently new to me speed triple rs 2020 - currently 2100 miles. Private sale.

I’ll keep things brief as possible as it could go on a bit.

I am experiencing rattle around the front sprocket area - Internally I believe.

very much like chain rattle.

I have spent a fair few hours messing with the bike over the weekend.

everything externally looks ok.

Questions -

1 - The rear sprocket can be moved back and forth with the rear wheel on the floor. Not a huge amount however it can be moved, it certainly is not locked - Cush drive? Is this normal?

2 - front sprocket - if I rock the front sprocket back and forth in neutral I can hear a knocking inside the transmission area.

If I were to grab the rear wheel when on the Abba stand and very gently rock back and forth then a knock is present behind the sprocket. What I suppose I mean is the arm /shaft that connects to the sprocket can be felt knocking something internal.

I have replicated the knock in all gears not just neutral whilst on the abba stand.

Once again is this a Normal characteristic or a high chance of pointing to the rattle I am hearing?

Simplified - Should the shaft be free when moving or have a knock?

A quick shifter is fitted. It has never false neutraled etc on me since I’ve owned it and Gearbox feels strong, however since I haven’t owned it since new, who knows?

A call to Triumph tomorrow will be made to let them at least listen to the noise and a decision can be made.

I don’t know anyone else with a similar speed to compare.

Are these bikes quite chattery at low speed and low revs? Coming from a 675 it’s a very different ride.

Any info before hand will be good.

If you have managed to get this far then many thanks

2. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Hi Stewcos, never noticed this on my 2019 RS, but never actually tried those actions. No help sorry but hope you get sorted

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stewcos

Stewcos Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Surrey
    Cheers Dawsy, appreciate the reply.

4. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Hi and welcome Stewcos. I'm pretty sure if I rock the gearbox sprocket backwards and forwards I can hear a knock. However I am also pretty sure I have no play on the cush drive. My bike has just clocked up 10k miles. Never had any issue with the gears. I'll double check tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    I have a 2019 Speed Triple RS with just over 12000 miles on the clock (no quickshifter). There is no movement in the cush drive and yours should not have an issue at just 2100 miles? Has the rear wheel been off at all and is it properly torqued to 146Nm?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    I've had a look at my bike tonight. No free play on the cush drive and no knock from the front sprocket when rocking it backwards and forwards.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. Stewcos

Stewcos Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Surrey
    I was out last night. Missed the replies.

I will investigate the rear sprocket further to start.

Wheel off today and an inspection.

I have a visit tomorrow to destination - Fareham. They will take a listen at least.

hopefully I will find something before hand.

I’ll keep the thread updated for anyone that wants to know what’s discovered.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to look at your bikes.

thanks again.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Stewcos

Stewcos Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Surrey
    For anyone following.

Have the week off work which is good. Giving me a bit of time to investigate.

unfortunately still not a great deal found or to report.

cush hub has been removed and rubbers look good, as they should at 2000 miles as Triple x said.

a small bit of play on the main shaft which I would expect to be well within tolerance.

After reassembly today with no findings I made a call to a mechanic at a triumph dealership. They seem to believe that the rubbers are there for that movement and is normal. He did confirm he’s never checked a sprocket/Cush hub for movement however not to be concerned. Make of that what you will. I am concerned ha ha .

There is still movement after refitting
    if I grab the sprocket and move it towards the front and back of the bike. I can confirm the Cush hub is 100% connecting with the Cush rubbers. If I remove the Cush rubbers it takes up the Cush rubber space and moves very freely.

Nothing seems to be wrong to my untrained mechanics eye, bearing is free and spinning without any catching in the Cush hub.

After hearing the other two Cush drives don’t move in this thread I’m far from convinced that it is normal.

i didn’t get in to triumph today, wanted to investigate further. I will be heading down tomorrow, it will be a lot easier with someone in front of me to show/explain.

will keep you updated.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Thanks for the update Stewcos.
    I just want to confirm, when I said no free play, I meant I can move the rear spocket but only on the rubbers just as you'd expect. There is no free play before the rubbers take up the slack.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stewcos

Stewcos Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Surrey
    Hi all, update.

I visited triumph yesterday and am pleased to report that everything is good within the bike. It was taken out and test ridden and a clean bill of health given.

Linx - you are spot on the Cush drive should have movement to the rubbers - i thought it was meant to be fixed. My 675 doesn’t have any movement.

the tech guy got another one out of the showroom and confirmed.

Knocking I heard from behind sprocket nothing to be concerned about also.

New to me bike worries.

fingers crossed everything remains normal.

Time to enjoy!!

thanks again guys, have a great weekend. I heard the summer is meant to be arriving soon :confused:

If anyone knows where its hiding please let me know :)

if anyone visits loomies cafe drop me a message, would be good to meet fellow members.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Good news mucker! Enjoy your Speedy :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Excellent. Enjoy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Enjoy the bike. They are brilliant..!
    Do we have any photos yet….?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Stewcos

Stewcos Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Surrey
    Didn’t get a thread update.

thanks guys, should be a photo attached.

All the best.

IMG_7335.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Very nice! :)

16. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Sweet :grinning:

17. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Here’s mine, out today on it. Loved it..!

IMG_4251.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    I was out on mine yesterday and like you @Oldskool every ride makes you smile!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    They are just brilliant..! Solid, fast comfortable, steer and handle beautifully, brakes are outstanding, sound lovely, fun filled mid range, even the standard exhausts sound beautiful..
    They do everything so well. Infectious motorcycling. I don’t ever want to get off the thing..!
    Just glad to finally get out on it..!

• Agree Agree x 1