Speed Triple R Suspension Settings

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Taff Salmon, Oct 23, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Taff Salmon

Taff Salmon Active Member

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    Folks, while I appreciate suspension settings are a very personal thing depending on your weight, (I'm 90 kgs btw) tyre choice (Supercorsas) and riding style (twisties) etc,
    Can anyone share their experiences with the "std" settings in the SPD3R manual namely the std preload on the front at 7 turns in and the damping settings "Comfort" Sport" and "Track"?

I have used "Comfort" and "Sport" and been OK with them probably because I got used to them??? but this summer I went to JHS racing for a "custom" set up.

Front Preload was backed off from 7 turns in to 5 turns in. Rear not changed.
    Damping was altered fromSport settings:-
    Front comp 15 clicks out, rebound 10 clicks out changed to 14 / 11 (very little??)
    Rear comp 17 clicks out and 11 clicks out changed to 12 / 11 (Big change to rear comp)
    Having ridden this for 2 months to get used to it I still think the std Triumph settings were better than the custom settings.
    Is it me?

Sorry I know this is all very subjective and only personal preference will get it "spot on" but I'm curious to know what settings other SPD3R riders find best for them.

Cheers
    Taff

2. Wasp

Wasp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Burnley NWUK
    I have a 94R, and haven't done anything with the settings yet. 1700 miles done and I have to say I don't feel the need to change them. Triumph development riders are very well respected in their field as some of the best around, so no surprise in hearing the standard settings were better.

Atb

Bob

3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    16 ST3 R, standard settings 2 clicks off comp on rear :) Try the settings you have back to back

4. Taff Salmon

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    Thanks guys. I agree that the recommended settings are pretty damned good for road use. Will continue to experiment when I have the inclination

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carter

Carter Member

May 26, 2016
    Brough
    Custom setup on mine was pants... went for comfort setup in the end with the sag set to my weight, think for me that's about as good as it'll get.

• Like Like x 1
  6. subby

subby Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2016
    Basingstoke
    Just changed my settings from road to comfort (Front comp 26, rear comp 23) as it felt a little harsh at the front (for me).
    Nice to say i can actually notice the difference after the change, the ride is er... more comfortable.

• Like Like x 4
  7. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Your tyres will work better on the road as well :)

8. Taff Salmon

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    Agreed.
    Mine is a 2014 SPD3R. I have done 8000 miles on it. Winter set to "comfort" and summer set to "sport" and all good.
    Tried the custom set up in June this yr and toughed it out until now but it definitely wasn't an improvement.
    Back to "comfort" now the rainy season is upon us.
    In my manual for Ohlins shocks thats:-
    Front comp 17 rebound 10 and
    Rear comp 20 rebound 11
    Every time I adjust something I try to make objective notes but I swear half of it is psychological!
    ATB T

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gnasher

Gnasher Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Lancashire
    I got a brand new 2015 model (not the R) last year and, coming from a sweet handling GSXR750, thought the stock handling somewhat disjointed. I took it to KAIS in Atherton for a set up and l have to say that the change in handling was a revelation. I think it only cost around £50. Worth more than ten times that figure for riding enjoyment.
    I got a 2016 R model a couple of months ago and have yet to tinker. On stock settings it feels very competent but, in the spring next year, I will be going back to KAIS for them to sprinkle their magic dust on it and see the difference.
    Unfortunately, l did not note the settings to pass on. I will make notes next time and report back.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wasp

Wasp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Burnley NWUK
    Good man. Knowledge is power and all that.

Atb

Bob

11. Taff Salmon

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    Quite so!
    I've just been reviewing all the adjustments I've made, which are essentially somewhere between sport and comfort in the manual. Handling has been superb in this range but the ride is definitely bumpy at both ends.
    The most dramatic adjustments JHS made was:-
    Dropping the front preload from 7 turns in to 5 turns in. (Front ride height lower)
    Dropping the rear tyre pressure from 42psi to 35psi. (softer ride?)
    Increasing the rear compression damping from 17 clicks out to 12 clicks out. (Back less prone to squatting?)
    These are big changes from Std and presumably raise the rear and drop the front?
    I have to say the front feels much more "squidgy" mid bend now, presumably because the fork angle is much steeper?
    Maybe this set up would be better for hard riding on a track? (JHS is a racing outfit and they know their stuff).
    If I'm honest I like to think I get a move on on the South Wales mountain roads but truth is I'm not riding under track conditions or even close to it.
    I'm reverting back to the triumph recommended settings next, but retaining the JHS front preload to see how it goes.
    Will report back when I have tried a bit more dicking.
    Taff
    (If its got knobs on twiddle them?)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Taff Salmon

Aug 22, 2016
    no

So after much twiddling, riding, measuring reading manuals and

13. Taff Salmon

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    Whoops!
    As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted
    I've twiddled every knob.
    The Jhs set up has corrected the preload to the correct ride height for me (5 turns in on the front and 3 turns down on the shock).
    Damping works best for me when set to the triumph "sport" recommendations. (Well I haven't been able to improve on this but I have been able to make it worse!)
    I will continue experimenting but for me the sport setting is my default.
    Taff

• Like Like x 1