Speed Triple R Ohlins Suspension - Compliant And Handles!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MattChr, Mar 7, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MattChr

MattChr Member

Apr 23, 2018
    North London
    With the numerous threads covering Speed Triple R suspension being rock hard, I've changed a few bits front and rear, and wanted to share to help others out. Bear in mind I'm lightweight, around 70kg fully geared, and UK roads are garbage with potholes, bumps and ruts everywhere.

The shock had a spring swap, one lighter than standard, to better match my weight, and both ends professionally setup. With preload adjusted, I finally had movement in the rear shock!

The forks needed a lot more work, with first diagnosis implying they are very under-sprung and over-damped. This felt hard through the bars, but also upset the chassis. Changing preload and revising the damping settings were simply not enough. Following my suspension experts, went for stiffer fork springs and less preload to begin with, which helped immensely with potholes (forks need to extend quickly first), bumps (forks compress quickly first), fast corners and reducing the pogo-bouncing with my previous compromised setup.

The final problem was high-speed compression was still too harsh, felt with the big bumps on the compression stroke. At 12k miles, thought I'd get them fully serviced, fresh oil and change the compression stack. Suffolk Motorcycle Suspension (review in the workshop forum) changed the clamp shim for a smaller shim and used fresh K-Tech oil - it's pretty close to Ohlins R&T spec, K-Tech is very high quality and rated around 17cst. There's enough room with the clickers to adjust the low-speed compression either way.

FINALLY the bike handles well around the faster twisties, it's sporty firm but no longer crashy and jolting over the tiniest imperfections, and feeling fine after a 2hr ride I can enjoy the bike properly!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2