Speed Triple Or Street Triple 765 Rs?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by waynecoluk, Sep 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    And if you gave them two ball bearings they'd break one and lose the other.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. steve59

steve59 Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Well I'm a triumph guy that currently don't have a triumph in the garage. The speed triple is a nice commuter but, not a liter bike by todays standards. I wasn't enjoying my 2013 s3se anymore and was looking to go back to a r3r for my solo bike having traded my previous r3 for a gtl. Anyhow 3 local dlrs and no R3's, I demoed a s1kr amazing bike and a sdr, ridiculous bike! Rode my s3 to and from both demos and I have to say even after the beating I took on the trade my 1290 super duke as everything I thought the s3 would be. I considered an ape, the 1100tv4 until I spent a couple hrs on their forum. My advice? demo them all for as long as you can. The speed had its day in the sun and unless you're looking for an upright with cruiser like power the street is probably more fun and for liter bike fun it's a great time with a bike for just about anybody's taste, just try and get it right cause resale sucks.

3. waynecoluk

waynecoluk New Member

Sep 5, 2017
    Norfolk
    So an update on my position.
    I have tested a few bikes but bizarrely not the triumphs yet. The day I had booked to ride the triumphs it pissed it down.
    I have ridden the kwaka z900, Suzuki gsxs 1000 and the mt10.
    I was really surprised with the z900 it was really good. But the mt10 is epic bordering on too quick for the road.
    I'm put off a bit knowing that the speed is going to be updated for next year as it will be out of date by the time it is delivered.
    We'll see.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  4. steve59

Sep 15, 2013
    How did you like the GSX s1000? There's a new 2016 nearby going for $8500.

5. WesSmith

WesSmith Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2017
    Hastings, East Sussex
    If your worried about residuals...then why buy brand new anyway?
    You know you lose money as soon as you wheel it out the showroom.

There are a number of good deals on low mileage 2017 Speed's, possibly not so much with the new Street.

A lot of your choice comes from the riding you'll do most and the sort of rider you are.

We're heading into the off season now too, so possibly not so much of a rush to buy?

6. waynecoluk

waynecoluk New Member

Sep 5, 2017
    Norfolk
    The gsxs was ok. Very quick but felt big after the z900 and found the throttle to be really snatchy. I liked the dash on it and it was pretty comfortable. As an all round package not as good as the z900.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bartat

Bartat New Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Leeds
    Hi I was in the same situation and dilemma recently should I buy a street or speed, went for the speed r great bike so far. My view is it doesn't really matter if they bring a new model out or not, there may be some improvements but I imagine they won't be drastic for a few more years. Plus it depends how long you keep your bikes for? Get it now enjoy it and by time you change it again you may have included your own mods, plus there will have been a few more models realised so update once all the niggles have been ironed out, especially if they change the engine. Whatever you do I'm sure you will have lots of fun, live for today and don't worry about what rislduals will be like tomorrow?.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    I think don't need to worry about a new Speedy for 2018. MCN and the internet would be posting potty with spy photos etc on such an important model. I think 2020 is the soonest I'd expect a new un'. Triumph have worked on a 4-5 year model cycle in the past

9. steve59

Sep 15, 2013
    If you're looking for a modern sportbike get the street if you're looking for a lazy all day rider get the speed.

10. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Don't keep us in suspense then Wayne, did you every try the Triumphs then? What do you go for in the end or are you still debating what to go for?

• Like Like x 2
  11. waynecoluk

waynecoluk New Member

Sep 5, 2017
    Norfolk
    Hi guys, I ended up buying a Kawasaki z900.
    The deal i was offered was just too good.
    I also traded my other bike in so hot two new bikes.
    I'll have to see how the z900 works out. If it doesn't then I'll be looking at the speed of street again.
    Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Longaz

Longaz New Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Derby
    Street. Picking up tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Longaz

Longaz New Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Derby
    Street. Picking up tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    have you got the clear screen on it.

15. cyberlunartic

cyberlunartic New Member

Mar 30, 2019
    South Africa
    I didn't notice much of a difference from riding the 675 to the 765 back to back (rode my mates 675 straight after).

Yeah i totally agree with the above.

16. Matt1050

Matt1050 New Member

May 29, 2019
    West yorkshire
    My choice was between the Kawasaki Z900 and the Yamaha xsr900.
    Both awesome bikes to ride, but ended up getting a second hand speed triple as the offer was so good. Love it apart from the suspension!