Speed Triple Gearbox Problem.

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Jester Jak, May 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Holty

Holty New Member

May 21, 2018
    USA
    Yeah fair point. Planning on changing the oil this weekend, and if that doesn't clear up the issue I'll probably do that.

2. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Personally I wouldn't do anything to the bike. Let them have it back in the same state as purchased or they could wriggle out of warranty repairs on the basis that someone else has interfered with the machine. Just a thought

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JimmyKudo

JimmyKudo New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Hey man, well you wouldn't freakin believe it but I had the same issue on my 2012 S3; except it went on long enough that it slightly chewed up the 5th gear synchro. Mine was still shifting for a while, don't know how, maybe it was still half in there. It was my first bike so I thought I was the problem and kept riding if it rode.

I knew all of nothing about bike transmissions since this Speedie was my first bike, so I bought the manuals and figured out how it worked from scratch after doing a costing sheet to see if it was worth my time. Once I had a good probability that it was in the gearchange arm/plate and not the tranny, I gutted it and found the missing bearing (had to fish it out of the oil pan just like you; I used some strong magnets and patience to guide it out).

What kind of an engineer decides to press fit a shaft with an offset, torque inducing, IMPULSE load into an eight inch plate? I mean every time you shift you smack that bearing against the next "detent" in the gearchange star with a bunch of shock; over time it's gonna wiggle its way out. If you end up with the bad side of the tolerances like we did, it wiggles out early and destroys the rest of your transmission.

I have an Excel of all the steps, torques, and relevant pages on the Triumph repair manual and relevant Haynes manual to anyone who needs it; just PM me. Jesus Triumph get your stuff together; there was room for a thicker plate, and it could have been welded once it was pressed in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Derek Mcconachie

Derek Mcconachie New Member

May 13, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi,

I have recently purchased a 2017 Speed triple R (registered Sept 16) with 4,600mls with full service history. The bike has the Triumph quick shifter fitted and Arrow cans, when shifting using the quick shifter I experienced a false neutral a few times. Last Thursday I had just pulled off a main road on to a B road and as I went through the gears I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd and hit a false neutral (again) so hit the lever again and the rear wheel locked up (luckily only doing 30 MPH) and the bike started skidding so I pulled the clutch in and nothing happened! . I somehow managed the stay on the bike after so big snake slides and came to a halt, the bike wouldn’t move even with the clutch pulled in so I rocked the bike back and forward a few times (still in the middle of the road!) and pushed it to the side of the road and phoned for recovery. I have been riding high powered bikes for over 30 years and never experienced a gearbox lock up before. This could have been a lot worse and thankfully I never came off or doing a higher speed than 30 mph.. Reading the forums some people has experienced false neutrals as well which points to the quick shifter being an afterthought rather than designed for the gearbox.

5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Glad you got away with that one Derek, must have been a real bum clenching moment. Welcome to the forum, do you plan to investigate this yourself or let someone else strip the motor, either way, please stick around and let us know what went wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Derek Mcconachie

May 13, 2021
    Scotland
    Thanks Yorkshireman, I have emailed Triumph UK and they have replied saying they have opened a case? Whatever that means, The bike is now with Guy Amor ( Ex IOM TT racer Keith Amor’s mechanic) who knows bikes inside out. He is hoping the have a look at it this week so I will keep everyone posted has I think that if this happens to someone else then it could be a lot worse. Guy mentioned the quickshifter break time if not right might put extra load on the gearbox which could cause failure but he said he will have a better idea when he opens it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Case of what? I hope they’re going to do more than have a drink over this issue;) I reckon your bike’s in good hands with Mr Amor, hope you get it sorted soon and can enjoy the summer.

8. Derek Mcconachie

May 13, 2021
    Scotland
    Thankfully I still have my R1 to get out on!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Derek Mcconachie

May 13, 2021
    Scotland
    ADAA842D-B7C3-4519-A205-759CA0ACBAB0.jpeg

02B06E3D-3F9F-42AF-9EC8-A68E4C9A6814.jpeg

40C27AF0-C654-4701-9B79-12B860DCAF06.jpeg

B091987E-DF79-425D-B048-276904E81250.jpeg

found this in the sump today. Looks like the 3rd or 4th output cog

• WTF WTF x 2
  10. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Oh, just a minor problem then

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    #31 Yorkshireman, May 20, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Which gear is that Derek, gear set looks ok from the pic, is it a starter gear ?
    Edit, just read the bottom of your post.
    As you had just tried to change from 2nd to 3rd I’d say 3rd as it would be under load but either way it’s a pretty terminal failure. Put 6 numbers on the lottery Derek, you’re one lucky boy indeed.
    Hope Triumph do something with that case they’ve opened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Wow! You were very lucky there mate. Hope you get sorted quickly.

13. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Yes, but are you absolutely sure its a gearbox issue??? Could be the tyre pressure causing the gearbox to explode somehow??
    Only joking bud.
    As above, you are a lucky chap in lots of respects as that scenario wouldn’t be a good ending for a lot of reasons.
    wowsa.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Derek Mcconachie

May 13, 2021
    Scotland
    For me that’s a part failure issue. Not heard back from Triumph UK yet but a bike with 4,600mls having a gear box failure is poor to say the least. Still think the quickshifter has contributed to this failure.
    Lost any faith in the bike now. Went out on my R1 yesterday and it handles what every you fling at it . Quickshifter up and auto blip down all day long....

5EBCAF87-B35A-4B74-B4FB-680147317926.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  15. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
  16. Richard58

Richard58 New Member

Oct 12, 2023
    Bedford
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if this fault is on the 1200 RS (2021) aswell. I see they have a recall for a spring in the gearbox - once does does that fix it? Thanks