Speed Triple - Best Tyres?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Dumpers, Dec 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

These are the type of marks that I remember D87795C9-9299-430C-B79C-A3268E7E0D60.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    They are checked as part of the production process. When the tyre has come out of the mould it is checked to see where the heaviest part is and marked accordingly with a dot of paint. In that pic with the weights all around the valve I’d suspect if the tyre was rotated 180 degrees a lot of that weight wouldn’t be needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    I didn't see any paint marks on this tire, just the moulded in circle, but how is it known that this would be the heaviest or lightest part of the tire prior to making the tire? I'll call Michelin and find out. And probably take the wheel to another shop to be balanced. If I find the new balance changes the weights I'll sure not go back to that supposed "highly regarded". Mechanic...And I'll tell you, I've had problems with too many bike mechanics in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

In the garage now working on NUDGERS wiring at the moment so thought I’d have a look :)
    These are the tyres that came with the bike Avon’s :)
    Hopefully you’ll be able to see paint marks in the picture and that they are lined up with the valve on both the front and back tyres :) 50A80A72-24C0-4972-A662-1B199FA46892.jpeg 7ADF7B00-5094-4A24-8C92-D11548F4981A.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Michelin don’t put paint spots on their tyres they say they’re as close to balanced from the factory, Holbeach tyres said if you use the circle as a guide you’re on the ball

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    I have to laugh. I just called Michelin, a multi-billion dollar international company, and could hardly make out what the receptionist was saying the connection was so bad. She sounded like a a young, shall we say "amateur" at her job and she transferred me 2 times, each time the call dropped. The last time I called she wanted my name, address, phone number and e-mail address so that someone could call me back - after she asked for my home addressed I got exasperated and told her I just wanted someone to call me back and not have to give out all my personal information...What do you wanna bet I don't get that call back??

After this experience I will NEVER buy a Michelin tire ever again!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    AVONs next time - you can actually speak to (or communicate with) a sensible, rational and experienced human being from the factory if you wish! I know this because I've done it.

My twopenn'orth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    Boy oh boy - customer service means a lot. Don't know about Avon but the next time I'm shopping for tires I'll shop for manufacturers customer service first!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Dilligaf don’t take my word for it give Mark Holbeach a bell, he’ll confirm what I’ve said, we had Michelin product support in the 2016 season and he supplied all the tyres which we fitted ourselves.
    We we told align the circle with the valve as Michelin say their tyres are balanced as you get them from the factory.
    You can take this as I’m talking total shite if you wish but that’s the way it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

No problem mate like I said I’m only going with what I (sort of) remember :confused:
    Can’t remember if all the manufacturers used paint marks or not :confused:
    Like I said NUDGER (2018speedmaster) has the original Avon tyres on and there is visible paint marks inline with the valves on both wheels :)

11. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    My Pirelli’s have two red dots too, it’s only Michelin that have nothing, some have two colours lightest and heaviest, it depends totally on the manufacturer

• Like Like x 1
  12. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    Got hold of Michelin. Their tires NOW come balanced from the factory and there's no need to index the tire to the rim. So there ya go -

13. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Go back three..

• Like Like x 2
  14. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Alright.... well.... drove 4,5k now, back tyre has 2.7 mm, front has 2.0 left. So am afraid I need a new set of tyres. All of the above suddenly becomes relevant. :confused:

I can always fit pirellis again, never let me down so far and quit happy with them. Except mileages. I mean... 4500 kilometers with a single set:(?

Anybody that has fitted Michelin’s? Pilot road or power?

15. Captain Trips

Captain Trips Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Surrey, UK
    Hi Arno, I have just fitted a pair of Road 5's and after a couple of hundred miles I'm quite impressed. They seem to be quite good on damp surfaces (I've avoided the rain so far!) and give plenty of grip. I had Pilot Road 4's on my last bike and thought they were excellent, so if these are an improvement I'm sure I'll stay happy.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    My new GT250 in 1976 was fitted with new Avon Roadrunners before it left the showroom because it came out of factory with plastic tyres

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I actually don’t think it’s a fault of the tyre more the application, if you’re riding the bike at a speed where the tyres are not in their operating range then they won’t work

At the track the amount of “scrubs” that are sold is ridiculous, they’re already finished the people buy them expecting them to work on the road.
    The heat range they need to run at is miles away from what’s achievable on the road.

You’re 207rr’s may have been perfect on track at a higher temp, but not on a cold road wherever.

The point at the end is most tyres these days are brilliant but you need the correct tyre for the application

• Like Like x 3
  18. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Daily rider at 5000km and my Avon cobras are like new :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Arno triple

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Have an appointment in 2 weeks for a couple of Bridgestone S22’s. Will keep you posted!

20. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Bloody he'll that's me that is!
    I was happy with the Pilots over the last 5 years so put them on this. So far, in winter, I've had them squirm on brakes and into and out of tight slow corners with tc operating so need to sèe how we go.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Arno triple

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Fitted, first couple of Km’s Very nice!

1B9C4913-6882-4B7B-B261-419A1033A9EB.jpeg

• Like Like x 2