Speed Triple - Best Tyres?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Dumpers, Dec 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pat53

Pat53 New Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Uk
    I agree, it is individual choice. Try them out and see which ones you like.

2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

The problem with that, is at £260 a pair, it's not usually an option to change if you dislike them. That's why he's asking for some opinions / experience's.

I doubt you can actually go out and buy a bad tyre nowadays. If you stick to Michelin, Pirelli, etc, and don't buy some ancient tyre that's been sat on a shelf for ten years, as can be found cheap on eBay sometimes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Agree with MrO, I tend to stick with what I know and like, if it ain't broke don't fix it, or it can be a very expensive experiment.
    I changed Pirelli SC's for Michelin Pilot Powers on my 765RS, the Michelin is a good tyre but didn't fill me with the same level of confidence as the SC's, I found turn in didn't feel as sharp, but this was on dry roads, on wet roads they were better, as MrO said horses for courses.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I gotta set of Pilot Powers for free from Michelin rep, part worn but only a couple of laps worth. Loved them around Croft circuit. Hated them on the roads. Anything other than warm day they felt insecure.

5. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    When I went shopping for SUV tires reading the reviews made my mind bleed so I just settled on Long Tour TA's and to hell with it - went thru much the same process with motorcycle tires and settled on Michelin Road 5's. If I was simple minded enough to choose a tire because I thought they were pretty I probably wouldn't miss not having The Best Tire!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Pirelli Angel GT (if I m not mistaking..)

• Like Like x 1
  7. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    I finally settled on Michelin Road 5's, figured I couldn't go wrong.
    Paid $154 for the front tire to get me use to spending too much money on this two wheeler..
    Seems like a lot of weight to balance a bike tire though.

100_9704.jpg

100_9706.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. Arno triple

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    WoW! Did they try to place the tire in a different posisition on the rim? My rim once had a similar amount of weight required, until we turned the tire, then it was almost reduced to none at all.

A bit late to try maybe, but perhaps for the next person...

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    The tyre fitters have done the job correctly, if you look at the pic the circle is in line with the valve, which is the start point

10. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    I thought it was odd that so may weights were added, especially around the valve stem. I took it to a highly regarded mechanic/shop and he said he'd try to rotate the tire as you say but this is what I got...

11. Arno triple

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Crap... bit much maybe, but.... other tire?

12. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    Thanks for your input. Could you explain why this is correct?
    The fitter said he'd try to rotate the tire for a balance with no need for weights but it seems this is a lot of weight for a motorcycle rim and tire, especially given that this part of the rim would be a heavier point already, with the thicker aluminum around the stem and the weight of the stem which would be heavier than the aluminum that was drilled for the stem....

13. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    The original rim and tyre were both damaged, this is a replacement rim. The original rim didn't have any weights on it.

14. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    On the pic between the road lettering and the 20t is a circle which when fitting a tyre is the alignment mark with the valve. This is the mark by the manufacturer of the tyre.
    Regardless of as to whether other members think is crap it’s true, it could be 180 degrees out but I doubt it.
    Sometimes tyres and wheels are subtly unbalanced as long as you have no vibration don’t worry about it

15. Arno triple

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    :confused:

So be it then...

16. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    Never knew that, thanks for the info...still, the fitter SHOULDN'T have said he would try to rotate the tyre when he already knew he was going to index the tire to the valve.

So what are the hazards of NOT indexing the tyre to the valve?

17. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I used to work in a motorcycle workshop :)
    When fitting tyres the manufacturers would put a paint mark on the tyre usually a red dot :)
    This was positioned opposite the valve :)
    Never heard of or seen a mark moulded onto the tyre for this purpose :confused:
    It was over ten years ago so maybe things have changed :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Nothing the mark is the point that should be aligned so the tyre and the valve match at the lightest/ heaviest point .
    It does seem that I’m being doubted on this so call, Michelin ,Pirelli,Bridgestone or anyone else to see if I’m typing rubbish.
    I do expect a load of apologies after though:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    Hey Glyn I didn't doubt you, and your disclaimer ("haven't done this in 10 years") exempts you from criticism. I will do as you suggest and call Michelin tomorrow, then post their response.

20. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:confused: So I’ve been trying to find out by way of tinterweb about the moulded circle on the tyre :confused:
    Can’t find anything about this needing to be next to the valve :confused:
    What I have found is loads of confusing and conflicting information about RED and YELLOW dots :(
    Loads saying red dots next t to the valve stem and plenty saying the opposite :confused:
    @Glyn Phillips sorry mate but you say lightest/heaviest?? How can it be both? and how would a tyre manufacturer know where the heaviest/lightest part is on your bike??