Speed Triple 1200 Rs

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by m4ppy, May 3, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    There was a case of this near exactly at the RAT forum, but I can't remember the resolution. It might have been a faulty servo motor for the exhaust valve.

2. toxicnerve

toxicnerve New Member

Jan 31, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Servo motor already been replaced once under warranty.

3. krspykreme

krspykreme New Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Chicago
    #203 krspykreme, Jan 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    Got new Exhaust on. Too much snow to ride though : unamused:.

20220131_150936.jpg

20220131_150820.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    It seems to me that your dealer didn't do a very good job of installing the heated grips then tried to cover up the damage. I've just been looking at Triumph's instructions for fitting the heated grips and it is quite involved requiring removing the headlights and messing with the wiring. It obviously takes time and care to do the job properly and there are numerous warnings in the instructions to be careful not to trap or kink any wires as this may cause electrical problems. Just wondering if a rushed job might have caused your issues?

5. toxicnerve

toxicnerve New Member

Jan 31, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Quick update:

Just got back from the dealership, figured I'd drop by unannounced.

The dealer hooked the bike up to the diagnostics and it's reported the same issue as before. Exhaust valve actuator.

They relayed it to the factory (i.e. HQ), and they asked for some further testing to be done. Dealer sent over the data and it sounds like factory are stumped. They think something else is causing this but can't point to anything off hand.

Apparently, I will be getting a call from Hinkley later.

The bike as of today :expressionless:

35c6a85c-826f-49d7-848d-36d51d16ec38.jpg

6. Rixton

Rixton New Member

Sep 21, 2021
    España
    buenas noches amigo, lamento que tengas estos problemas. Tengo que decir que mi escape dejó caer el protector de la válvula y lo llevé la semana pasada para montarlo. Una vez que la armaron, arranqué la moto, el tablero mostraba "falla de transmisión" y cuando la apagué y encendí nuevamente "falla de motor". La volvieron a llevar adentro y salió sin fallar. Segun me dijeron fue porque tenian que subir una actualizacion y que la moto habia detectado un cambio de inclinacion, no se si es verdad o me dijeron que me callara, pero como andaba apurado No hice hincapié en el tema, trataré de averiguar más esta semana si puedo. Saludos y espero que tu problema se solucione lo más rápido posible. Disculpe mi traductor de google ingles

7. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    Translation: "Good night friend, I'm sorry you're having these problems. I have to say my exhaust dropped the valve guard and I took it in last week to mount it. Once they put it together, I started the bike, the dash showed "transmission failure" and when I turned it off and on again "engine failure". They took her back inside and she got out without fail. According to what they told me it was because they had to upload an update and that the bike had detected a change in inclination, I don't know if it's true or they told me to shut up, but since I was in a hurry I didn't emphasize the issue, I'll try to find out more this week yes I can. Greetings and I hope that your problem is solved as quickly as possible. Excuse my google english translator"

• Useful Useful x 2
  8. toxicnerve

toxicnerve New Member

Jan 31, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Hi Rixton, thank you for the information. Yes, I believe these exhaust valve actuators are VERY sensitive. If they report that they are unable to fully open or fully close or the calibration is not correct the bikes will throw errors like crazy.

If and when my issue is sorted and I am back on a bike the first thing I will be doing is fitting the Healtech ESE.

9. m4ppy

m4ppy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Hi,

I am looking at getting the same exhaust, would you have a wider shot of the complete bike

thanks

10. Neal H

Neal H Active Member

Mar 7, 2021
    England
    Pictures from SC website.

That’s the best looking exhaust I’ve seen on the 1200RS. It seems to come with either a carbon fibre or titanium finish. The titanium would look really good on a silver bike. I’m not usually tempted by after-market exhausts…..
    DD7786A1-4B75-48DA-9517-53B530878E12.jpeg CAB31BA6-CA5F-4BD8-81F5-F5F47B6A8C64.jpeg 11486896-9399-4B15-8B25-1DCB5CE97E30.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. toxicnerve

toxicnerve New Member

Jan 31, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Triumph are ignoring my request for a replacement (despite having had an opportunity to resolve the issue) and instructed the dealer to replace the following:
    • Mid-section of the exhaust which is essentially the silencer box that sits on the underside of the bike. This is the part that the exhaust valve is actually attached to.
    • Exhaust valve actuator (the motor that determines how closed / open the valve is)
    • The Bowden cable assembly that translates the position of the actuator to the actual valve.
    Essentially, the entire group of components that relate to the exhaust valve opening / closing behaviour (apart from the ECU).

12. Bmwjay1000rr

Bmwjay1000rr Member

Jun 23, 2021
    Cambridge uk
    Did you really think they would? Is it on finance? If so take it up with them....apart from the problem your having are you happy with the bike? Or will you get shot of it once the problem gets sorted? All bikes and cars are a pain in the arse......but we still keep buying them....

• Like Like x 1
  13. toxicnerve

toxicnerve New Member

Jan 31, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Not on finance.

I hoped they would, given they've already swapped the exhaust actuator and THE SAME issue presented again under 20 miles later. Going to see what they say tomorrow.

To answer your question:

Yes, other than this, I am indeed happy with the bike. If they sort me out one way or another, and it's trouble-free, great!

If, however, I am back in the dealership with more problems, I'll look to get shot.

14. krspykreme

krspykreme New Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Chicago
    It is winter here in Chicago but I can try and uncover it and shoot more pictures this weekend for you.

15. toxicnerve

toxicnerve New Member

Jan 31, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Quick update on my situation. They're putting me on a new bike with a warranty extension to 4 years.

Never say never :)

• Like Like x 3
  16. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Quite right too. Great result in the end :cool:

17. toxicnerve

toxicnerve New Member

Jan 31, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Yup. Good outcome for sure and can't fault the service from both the dealer or the factory.

I will, of course, be staying with the brand :cool:

Fingers crossed I don't have any major troubles with the new one. Healtech ESE will be going on asap!!!! Done with bloody exhaust valves!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bmwjay1000rr

Bmwjay1000rr Member

Jun 23, 2021
    Cambridge uk
    HAPPY DAY'S FELLA....

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bmwjay1000rr

Bmwjay1000rr Member

Jun 23, 2021
    Cambridge uk
    Also get ya new one in Black look soo much better lol.......

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    Here's a couple of new custom paint jobs, for sale on (dealer) ebay UK
    See ebay for lots of other images

ST1200RSb.jpg

White 1200RS.jpg

• Like Like x 3