Speed Triple 1200 Rs - The Revolution Is Coming

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SuperHans, Jan 12, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    #121 xorbe, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    No, the 1160 makes more torque at 7150, and goes on to peak at 9000.

Indulge me of blasting both threads with my reddit page of Speed 1200 info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SpeedTriple1200/comments/lbj71b/speed_triple_1200_rs_details/

https://www.reddit.com/r/SpeedTriple1200/comments/lduew4/web_links/

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Maybe. But it still isn’t going to be faster until you reach the top end of the rev range, which most people will never be able to use. Don’t get me wrong I’d take the extra 30 hp for sure, but torque is virtually unchanged for daily riding. All in all it looks like it will be a very nice bike.

3. Levertoon

Levertoon Well-Known Member

Maybe if you are not considering the weight loss as well, which will also help for cornering and stopping. So even if the motor was the same, and spun up at the same rate which it does not, it will still handle, and brake better than the outgoing models. with that drastic of a weight loss.

4. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That is a good point as the weight will make a difference. From this review and others, it appears that slower cornering is not as good as the out going bike, due to geometry changes. The ride is said to be much stiffer and makes it less comfortable as a road bike compared to the out going model due to a stiffer chassis, less weight and stiffer suspension spring rates. Looks like a great bike, but not one that’s as compliant for the road anymore. Certainly springs could be swapped to rectify ride quality, it’s just too bad that out of the box it’s setup for the track and not the road. Looking forward for a test ride though, if I can get one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    The all-up weight wrt acceleration from a stop is not that big of a change, about 3.5%. Where the weight was removed (or moved to) is a bigger factor for handling.

Peak torque is up 7% and engine size is up 10.5%, but 1st gear is something like 25-26% longer. I don't see how this plays into the 1200's favor for launching from a stop. Probably why MCN said the bike isn't as lively.

6. Levertoon

Where did you find the gear ratios?

7. Levertoon

..and Imagine how much hp/ tq and weight there is to be released once you remove the euro 5 exhaust and cat. After looking at how similar the old and the new dyno graphs are, i'm sure after uncorking it'll be a bigger jump after a tune, (compared to uncorking earlier gen bikes)
    I'm assuming by "street" you guys are referring to city riding, I could see track bais suspension being too wound up on potholes and bridges (as would 180 hp IMO), I live and ride in the mountains and could not be more excited about a more sport oriented suspension.
    Different bikes for sure, that's what makes it fun right?

8. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I live where there are mountain roads to ride at blinding speeds as well, but not all the roads are in race track condition, so a compliant bike is necessary. With the old bike, unless you are a feather weight, you can have both setups. Soften the suspension when needed and firm it up when riding aggressively. With the new bike that doesn’t look like the case without suspension work. Oh and I should mention I’m 53 not 30 anymore, makes a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  9. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    #129 xorbe, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    In the Owner's Manual available freely on Triumph's website. Use primary ratio 1.572 instead of what's in the manual (1.85), to approx match what we've actually seen in Speed Triple 1200 videos.

Then, use GearingCommander, and pull up the latest Speed Triple, but note that you have to manually change the 2018 sprockets to 17/44 as it defaults to 18/43. And then open a second window, and punch in the new numbers, and compare at 10000 rpms for both.

All of this puts the Speed 1200 at 76.5 at 10K and the Speed 1050 at 60.6, so 76.5/60.6 is 26.2% taller 1st gear. I checked TMF's 1050 video, and this seems in the ballpark.

Under 7K the power is very similar (1050 vs 1200) per Triumph's chart, so ... I don't see how a 26% gearing change is anything other than slower / more sedate in 1st gear under 7K rpms. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious. Here's the data roughly grabbed from Triumph's chart, and then adjusted for gearing.

What am I missing. That's a 30 hp deficit at 40 mph. Was the 1050 electronically limited in 1st? It's the same story 2nd through 6th gear, the 1050 matches or exceeds under 1200's 7K. I must be off by a metric mile somewhere.

1050vs1200.png

10. Levertoon

I got totally different calcs, where first gear tops out at roughly 50 mph. I didn't use a pre existing model, I entered the ratios straight from Triumph. On mine the top end is obviously not correct though...

Screenshot_20210427-194626_Chrome.jpg

11. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    #131 xorbe, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    You are almost there. Your rpm limit is 13570 instead of 11400 per Triumph data. Also you accidentally used the same number twice (44/17 = 2.588). The "1.85" primary listed in the manual is obviously wrong, try 1.588 instead to match Speed 1200 speedo/tach from videos. At that point, your numbers will be just slightly less than mine, a difference in how tire size estimation was done, because that's the only other variable left.

Actually I was more interested in what an '18-20 Speed Triple 1050 does in 1st gear at 10K rpms. Because Triumph has made little adjustments over the years, and then didn't update the manual, and there's disagreement about 6th gear now, etc etc etc. So I'm not clear about the 1st gear rpm:mph ratio for the latest 1050. The manual+GC did give results close to what I saw in TMF's video but not exactly. I did not get lucky by stumbling upon any videos of 1st up high with a clear shot of the console.

The two videos I saw (at 4K rpms) actually suggest the 1050 does 56-57 mph in 1st at 10K. Which paints an even more extreme pic of the 1200 being 33% longer in 1st, which is ridiculous, you can see why I'm scratching my head over these numbers.

Edit: video proof for 1200, 4th gear 9K 116.0 mph gives 6th gear 11.4K 174.6 mph

speedo.jpg

12. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    Of all the posts to spike my interest, it's the one about gearing!

Quick debrief. Newbie on the forum, I own a Street 765RS (the Second I've owned)
    Had a Divael for a while (hated it)

And then in my younger days, R1, ZX10 wheelbarrow edition, some BMW 1200 muscle bike thingy and others.

Alas. So on the hunt for a new bike. I love my Street, but it never felt as good as the first time. And looking for that Street RS + if you will.

I've been looking at a new R1, Ducati V2, Thruxton RS, Indian FTR, MV Aug Brutale 800RR and pretty much everything in between.

And the R1 was a goer, because. It just looks badass. However....gearing. Seeing it do 70mph in second at 3,000rpm. Is it ever actually going to feel 'exciting' on the road without going silly silly speeds?

I had ignored the new Speed 1200 on the basis that it was too expensive, however, my dealer has offered me a good deal.

So now I start the 'research (watching every youtube video and online review.
    And I stumble upon this post.

How long is the gearing! For a bike, from what I've read 'needs to be rev'd out (much like the ST RS), to feel the upper limits of the performance. It seems a shame, you'll only need one gear?

13. Neal H

Neal H Active Member

Mar 7, 2021
    England
    You’re never going to reach the “upper limits of the performance” of a litre+ bike with 180hp on the road. It’s the age old argument about is it better to have a lower power bike that you can ring out, or a high power one that is effortlessly fast. In reality, every gear above 2nd is going to be an ‘overdrive’.

There’s always track days if you want to explore it’s full potential.

• Like Like x 2
  14. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Thats why I love the superduke so much. Power is always there without having to reach for the upper rev range

15. Carl556

Carl556 Senior Member

Nov 13, 2019
    Durham Uk
    I test rode the Speed 1200 RS and the Streetfighter V4S a day apart so that I could get a accurate comparison. In my opinion the Ducati is in another league. Fit, finish, power and handling. Yes it is £5k more but it felt like £5k more bike I’m sorry to say.
    The RS dash was so slow to respond and couldn’t get it into to neutral. The Ducati felt like I was riding on a magic carpet in comparison and felt a lot more bike for the money.
    I may sacrifice cruise control and a fuel gauge but it seems the Italians are building better bikes than Thailand. My deposit is with Bologna. I just need to shuffle finances in order to keep my Speed Twin as I really like the bike. I always want a triumph in the garage if a I can afford to keep her.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    I could wring the 765 out in 2nd, but the 1200 dishes out more than I can use ... I can't imagine spending even more (on the Ducati SF) to get even more power, lol. I don't have any real complaint about the suspension though it is a bit stiff, but I am enjoying the bike no problem. Dash UI is the #1 thing I'd ask for improvements first -- no idea how the current UI got approved.

• Like Like x 1
  17. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I've begun to realise that power figures mean f all! Its how and where it delivers the power that counts on a road bike

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Neal H

Neal H Active Member

Mar 7, 2021
    England
    At this price point, £5k is a lot of money, 33% more in fact, which moves the SF onto a different price level, so it needs to be significantly better.

19. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    I suppose, even on my ST RS. 3rd takes you way over.

Saying that. And granted, if compared to the KTM / ZH2 / V4 then (Clarify, I've not ridden any, so total internet speculation), maybe the 1200 feels weaker in the mid-range. But compared to my ST RS, I am sure I'll feel plenty meaty, with a top-end fizz.

When I owned a Diavel for a few years, I missed the top end of ST RS, that excitement. I rode it around pinging it off the red line, as I couldn't get used to riding a 'gear higher' - so I used to find it strange, everyone would tell me it's 'faster' - but to me, it never felt exciting. Hence I ended up with another 765RS! And round Donington, well. Not the natural environment

I love forward to testing riding one, a shame there aren't any new MV Brutale 800rr in the country. As I suspect that would have been 'the one' or a FTR 1200, if only that had a quick shifter. The KTM, was on the list, but a little expensive. So many bikes. So much choice.

Feel like I'm complaining about a bike I've not ridden, that it has too much power to enjoy it on the road. Facepalm crazy emoji!

MLT36122.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  20. Neal H

Neal H Active Member

Mar 7, 2021
    England
    I prefer the effortlessly fast approach to bikes rather than the ring it’s neck approach on the basis the throttle works both ways. It’s nice knowing that no matter how fast you want to go, the bike will deliver with plenty to spare, even if that means never exploring the red line in anything above 2nd!

I have a ST 1200RS coming tomorrow and I’m really looking forward to it. Others I considered were: Ducati Streetfighter V4 (too expensive), BMW S1000R (just not as nice as the ST), Yamaha MT10SP (too ugly). I never considered the Superduke because I have never liked Twins, but it would have failed the ugly test anyway.

• Like Like x 4