Speed Triple 1200 Rs - The Revolution Is Coming

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SuperHans, Jan 12, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'm thinking that over my lifetime I've at time been the victim of unprofessional marketing, too! :eek::laughing:

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Snusmumrik

Snusmumrik Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    Well, that is also an experience, maybe even useful one, and in the end that is what life is all about

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    We humans do seem to learn some of our best lessons from our mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA

Yep, me too. The 2018 release seemed like Triumph had fully sorted an already terrific bike; 148 hp is plenty; and I really like the underseat Arrow cans on the RS.

To top it off, because mine was the last 2020 RS that my dealer sold they gave me $2,000 off the price. Seriously, I could not resist. Plus they are top people and it's a pleasure to shop there.

Now they are taking orders for the 2021, of course, but they are done selling the 2020 model.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    Yes, sir.
    I also got good discount. :)
    And I bought the last pearly white one, it was on the exhibition stand in the dealer showroom. :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 4
  6. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    IMO my 2019 RS has more than enough performance for the road. I get it, they have to complete with the HP increases with all the other bikes or be left in the dust. Performance aside, I was comparing looks to the new bike, and have to say I like mine better. The frame on the new bike doesn’t have the same chiseled look where it meets the subframe. The pre 2021 frame is IMO a work of art. Have a look at the two and you will see what I mean. The new design just doesn’t look as upscale by comparison, at least in the photos anyway. I’m looking forward to seeing the new bike in person, and maybe even a test ride, just for fun.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    #87 Ducatitotriumph, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    The only thing i'm really interested in is upgrading the brakes to the newer ones tbh.
    Nothing "wrong" with the old ones but i've always preferred the strret triple one's calipers looks.
    I'll be on the look out for a second hand pair but, apart from that, i'm fine with my bike.
    I very rarely go above 7k anyway and thats when the newer one gets it's legs and goes on with torque and hp.
    Those days are over (for me) but maybe thats just my 50 years talking.
    Like you, i'll have a test ride but it'd have to be earth shattering to make me move over.
    As others have said on other threads, as soon as you lose the "look back at your bike" when you close the garage/shed, time to move on.
    No where near that. At all.
    It's not "sour grapes" thats there's a new one either btw! I genuinely prefer the look of mine!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. a-tomic

a-tomic Member

Mar 15, 2020
    Trieste
    Fun just start at 7K :p and as much i liked my 2020 RS this new bruiser is nicer...:cool:

IMG_20201028_094926.jpg

IMG_20210127_192018.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Ok, promised myself not to even consider the new speed triple...but....I mean, its ok to look at details right?!

So....did any of you notice the odd looking nut on the rear wheel?

upload_2021-2-22_13-27-0.png

Never seen anything like it.
    Another special tool/socket that needs to be ordered?

10. Zaico

Zaico Member

Jul 10, 2020
    Sweden
    Looks like a pretty normal centerlock wheel nut. Thought they were standard on most bikes with a single sided swingarm. Never really thought about the fact that the old Speed Triple didn't seem to have one. I know the Super Duke and Ducati V4s and V2 has them. High-performance cars sometimes use them too.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Yea, this is a change to this bike, never seen that type of wheel nut before. But googled Ducati and you are right @Zaico they do have these.
    I wonder what the reason for it is other than a funkier design.

12. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    My superduke has a conventional nut for the rear wheel. Still had to buy a socket for it though since its 60mm or something around that size.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    No, but what I did notice is a rather large and unattractive end can. Unlike the previous model that came with Arrows.

14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    From the photos I honestly think the previous model looks better. Nicer frame at the subframe connection, where the previous model has a very chiseled multi angled design, the new bike has none of that detail at all. The new model appears to not have raised badging on the tank. The new model has a plain handlebar clamp versus the more upscale one on the previous model. These are minor details for some, but for me it’s what separates premium bikes from the rest. The thing that most concerns me is the lack of linkage for the rear shock. It’s hard to tell from the photos, but if that’s the case, then that’s not good. Also, let’s hope the IED (quickshifter) has been sorted out. I’m looking forward to having a side by side comparison when they arrive.

15. Zaico

Zaico Member

Jul 10, 2020
    Sweden
    Agreed on the quickshifter. It does have a linkage though so no need to worry about that!

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/thr...riple-1160-yes-or-no.21001/page-8#post-516065

• Like Like x 2
  16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
  17. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    OK, an update. I managed to get a test ride on 1290R SuperDuke and the Triumph 2.5L Rocket.
    I went to the test ride on my 2020 Speed RS.
    The ride was over nice mountainous hairpins and fast curves.

First, I love my Speed RS.
    Second, Rocket feels exactly like sitting in a jet that is taking off - wall of sound and gentle but serious push forward.

Third, I have never ridden a more fun supernaked than 1290R SuperDuke. I did try Tuono 1100 a couple of years back and do not really remember the feeling, probably will retest this spring, but...the first impression when I sat on the Superduke coming from my Speed RS is "wow, I sit on the back and the front wheel at the same time!".
    The way the front is built, with the very flat headlight and everything sloping down, it looks like there is nothing in front of you, unlike Speed RS, where you have the instrumentation and lights cluster protruding a fair distance forward of the handlebar.
    Important though, first impression of SuperDuke on the road, very agile, more aggressive than Speed (more torque, clearly, and 2-pot), sounds very fruity with stock exhaust, feels very light (and surely lighter than Speed), extremely fun to ride actively.
    The Beast is definitely more fun bike when you ride it for fun, compared to Speed RS.
    The quickshifter/blipper is just as jerky as on the Speed RS. BTW, I have used my Speed for 2600km and I have not had false neutrals or other problems. I use qs/b constantly, qs from 2 up, b from 6 down to 2, sometimes to 1. Blipper works better than QS, QS has very long switching times and it is noticeable, not perfect, but I am also OK with switching manually and the gearbox is absolutely fine for that, so I have no complains.
    Beast costs more but looks cheaper, some kind of bluish plastic on the front mudguard etc, Speed looks and feels premium. Same goes for instrumentation, the way it sits on the Beast, it looks a bit cheap compared to Speed RS, but it is functional.
    Overall 1290R looks business, I am surprised but I have been converted to the looks of the front light, pretty sleek and nicely designed. 1290R needs to have that thick plastic stick of the numberplate holder removed, and also passenger footpegs and passenger seat, otherwise it looks fine, even the stock exhaust can. It sounds absolutely fine through the helmet.
    OK, the 2-pot needs more revs to become civilized, compared to Speed's 3-pot, in the slow traffic jams Speed is more refined, no question. Superduke becomes refined above 4000 rpm.
    Overall, Speed is more versatile, it can do fun but it can also do slow traffic, but SuperDuke R can do fun better, imho.
    I was very very impressed, it was 0C degrees, 1290R had no heated grips and I was about to get gangrene in my hands, but I turned around and did the hills a second time, which is first one for me, just to enjoy that bike again, it is fun and licence loser potentially. When I came back I could not stop smiling like an idiot, the salespeople were looking at me. :)
    I am smitten by SuperDuke R, but going back home over the same hills I appreciated the Speed RS on a new level, it is freaking great, but there is no perfect bike, that is what I learned again that day. Very difficult to choose, I would have them both if I were a collector (I try to get away from this, I had 7 bikes at the same time, now just 2), and I need one sportsbike in my life as well, currently it is GSXR1000R (but would switch to M-Package S1000RR if I had "free" cash).
    Outstanding now, and very much looking forward to, is test of new Speed RS, test of new S1000R, and retest of Tuono 1100. I may rent SuperDuke R for a weekend though, I am hooked. :-(

• Like Like x 8
  18. Magneto

Magneto New Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Glasgow
    Jeez, we'll be taking them to a dealer to get the tyre pressures checked next! I'm not sold on the looks of this either. Front end looks unfinished with that oddly shaped tft screen sticking up. I'll stick with my 2018 thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Yea, the fact that I will be even more depending on a decent Triumph garage is why I am hesitating a buy (we have ONE in the capital of Sweden that is renowned for being crap).
    And the fact that its impossible to get a decent Haynes or workshop manual for speed triples 2016 and onwards makes me lean towards other brands such as the Tuono. To have to pay and login to Triumphs website everytime I need to find a torque value is just sad.

I saw the Haynes manual for a Speed Twin the other day, not sure why they can't make one for the later Speed Triples.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    It's only a bihexagon nut, which a lot of sockets will be by default anyway, Ducati have been using them for years.

However I agree with the general sentiments regarding being able to self service/maintain our bikes (you'll find I've posted such many times before) and is the reason I made sure I got a 2015 Speedy just before they started adding a load more electronics. I can do all the maintenance and resets via TuneECU myself - and is a keeper.
    Having spent the previous two years with a Ducati Multistrada with all the toys I found riding modes etc added little to the enjoyment (rarely found the need to change modes) but made the bike unreliable and dealer servicable only.
    The simple pleasures for me. :)

• Like Like x 3