Featured Speed Triple 1050rs 12000 Miles Service

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by TRIPLE X, Nov 8, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    #1 TRIPLE X, Nov 8, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    I've just completed the dreaded 12000 miles service. The following may be useful for anyone else contemplating doing their own service:
    • Greased the rear wheel needle roller bearing. It was not dry but ready for some new grease. Once the wheel, stake nut & brake caliper are removed the axle normally pulls out quite easily with maybe a light tap, but not this time. It took a lot of effort to knock it out & it seems that the axle had bonded to the ball bearing race in the hub. There were signs of something like bearing fit having been used which I cleaned off before reassembly and the axle went back in easily and there is no play at all in the bearings so all good.
    • Greased the rear suspension linkage bearings. Not dry but ready for some new grease.
    • Greased the steering head bearings without issue. Again not dry & would probably have been ok until the next service.
    • Checked the valve clearances. The service manual states to remove the cam cover by moving it to the right then rotating it anti-clockwise before pulling it out to the rear between the frame rails (after first having removed the frame infill panels & throttle bodies). I found it easier to remove it sideways to the right which is possible if the secondary air injection reed valve covers are removed first. Valve clearances were all found to be within tolerance although close to or at their upper limit.
    • Balanced the throttle bodies. They were still in balance (used Dealertool) so did not need adjustment.
    • Everything else was straighforward.

• Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yes, I also wasted half an hour trying to extract the cam cover via the factory instructions without success and ended up removing the same way you have.
    I also found clearances mostly close to maximum which is good as the most common wear of valve recession will close the gap, I recorded gaps for each valve so I can compare next time around (more than you'll get from a dealer service).

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    I had mine done by a dealer back in July.....£781, a good incentive to DIY if you have the tools and skills.....Although Bulldogs were very thorough
    Like your shims, mine were still tolerance...The tech did give me the measurements too

T

• Like Like x 3
  4. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Tony, I'd be interested to know whether that was a pre-arranged fixed price or not.
    Obviously there's quite a few hours in getting to check valve clearances and then reassembling the bike, but if shims need changing then that adds cam shaft removal to the job, which means further hours of labour.
    If that adds to your bill then it's even more frightening!!
    (conversely the dealer makes a killing on in-tolerance bikes if a fixed price)

5. TRIPLE X

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Cost me around £150 for parts etc. My labour was free :cool:
    Be interested to compare valve clearances (see mine attached).
    Speed Triple 1050 RS shim check.jpg

6. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    My valve check sizes....
    upload_2022-11-18_21-17-3.png

• Like Like x 1
  7. TRIPLE X

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    It's reassuring to see that we have both got very similar measurements and all opening up which is better than gaps closing. I suspect the next check at 24000 miles will show the gaps starting to close, but still within tolerance, as the initial wear on the cams and buckets settles down and the valves start to recess into the valve seats?

• Agree Agree x 1