Speed Triple 1050 Throttle Problem

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Mark3092, Jul 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mark3092

Mark3092 New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Uk
    Hi, recently got a 14 plate speedy.
    Great bike, love the low end torque but it seems that comes with a problem.
    The on/off throttle is harsh!
    I'm riding a tight corner off throttle and when start to apply power on exit its like the power starts at 10%
    I have taken most of the slack out of the cable leaving the bare minimum amount and it has the arrow cans with 20251 map. It was installed when I got it. I do have tune ecu with the correct cable but haven't used it yet.
    I understand that this may be a
    Characteristic of a big triple but is there anything I can do to smooth it out? I really don't like it.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I'm guessing you've gone a bit dyslexic with the map number, depends on your vin but my '65 plate 94R SpeedIII with twin Arrows is running 20521 map which runs fine. If you connect TuneECU it's worth checking your throttle body balancing is good as that will help smooth out the pickup. Depends on your previous experience, injected bikes meeting strict emissions do tend to be a bit that way from a closed throttle compared to older carb bikes.

3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I had a snatchy throttle earlier this year, turns out I hadn't connected a sensor properly to the air box thus confusing the engine management system
    If you (or bike shop) have had the tank up recently there may be a sensor not connected properly

4. Mark3092

Mark3092 New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Uk
    Hi, I'm not dyslexic just can't remember a number after looking at a screenshot 3 seconds ago ha! You are correct with the map number you posted. I understand about the emissions issue so thought that there would be a better map available to overcome it. Yes every engine is different but I'm not looking for every bhp just a smoother pickup.
    I haven't checked throttle balancing. I've done carbs before. Any tips on doing it on this bike.

Cheers

Mark

5. Mark3092

Mark3092 New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Uk
    Hi, thanks for the info. Mine is definitely all connected

• Like Like x 1
  6. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Use TuneECU to perform a TPS reset

7. Mark3092

Mark3092 New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Uk
    What was happening there, just run the bike up to temp without touching the throttle?

8. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    In TuneECU, you can select the TPS reset instead of running the bike to temp without touching the throttle

Sorry I posted the video without watching it first as it was the first result for my search of 'TuneECU
    TPS reset'

It may be worth downloading the fuel map you need and loading it into the bike to replace the current one just incase the current one has been messed about with
    Do check O2 sensors and disabled in the map if they have been disconnected and that the Secondary Air Intake (SAI) is also correctly recognised as active or not in the map

Check the fuel filter isn't clogged as this would significantly affect low engine speed

Drop a couple of capfulls of RedX into the tank to clean fuel lines/rails and valves etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mark3092

Mark3092 New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Uk
    Thanks for the info. So this is what I have done so far.
    Checked the throttle balance and it was 630 590 620 so I would think that's way off? I have set them all the same (620) with engine up to temp.
    I then reset adaption with the engine running and at operating temp (fan kicking in) my tps is reading 5.92v so is under the recommended 6v but I'm hoping the rest adaptation will tell the bike where zero throttle is without me physically moving the tps to get the 6v. I'm using the android tune ecu with the cable and. Can't see any tps reset option.
    My map seems to be correct and nothing is removed or disabled on the bike. As soon as its dry I'll take it for a test run and hopefully the balancing will make a difference.
    I'm not sure if I have done the adaptation thing correctly or if it will take quite a few miles to see an improvement if I have done it right.

(The bike has 12k on the clock)

Thanks again

Mark

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mark3092

Mark3092 New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Uk
    Well just been out on the bike and it's just the same. Riding around tight roundabouts turning right requiring no/some throttle is doable but far from ideal. Not smooth in the slightest!

What else can I do? Buy another inline 4 ha. Can't believe I can't find a map to try that has been created on a rolling road

11. Richard pinfield

Richard pinfield New Member

Jun 10, 2022
    Redditch

12. Richard pinfield

Jun 10, 2022
    Redditch
    Hi, did you manage to smooth out your low speed throttle problems, I've just bought a 15 plate speed triple 1050 and it's a bit abrupt, better since I've put new fuel in but certainly not perfect by a long way, I've owned 955i St sprint before and didn't have this problem

13. Richard pinfield

Jun 10, 2022
    Redditch
    Hi, did you manage to smooth out your low speed throttle problems, I've just bought a 15 plate speed triple 1050 and it's a bit abrupt, better since I've put new fuel in but certainly not perfect by a long way, I've owned 955i St sprint before and didn't have this problem

14. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I found the ride by wire throttle on my 16 plate snatchy on pick up, I think this was due to play in the throttle cable due to cable gaps in the throttle
    I took the handle apart and put in some spacers and this helped

I have since gone back to the 2010 Speed Triple as I didn't get on well at all with the ride by wire

• Like Like x 1
  15. Richard pinfield

Jun 10, 2022
    Redditch
    Cheers for the reply, I think I'm either going to put the standard cans back on and get triumph to remap it or take it to a dyno shop and get it remapped to the arrow cans, price will pick which way I go

16. Ridebjj

Ridebjj Member

Aug 4, 2021
    The hot hot desert
    I just recently made the move from a 2011 to a 2019 RS.

On the 2011 I had the exact same phenomenon. Very very hard to get going from low throttle without it coming on too strong right away. It was, as you said like an immediate 10%. It required a very annoyingly precise tiny amount of input to avoid.

On the RS though, it's almost perfect. I can just roll on nice and smooth every time. Some people bash ride by wire, but in my case it's much better.

I think for the cable throttle on the 2011+ that's just how it is. Meh.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Richard pinfield

Jun 10, 2022
    Redditch

18. Richard pinfield

Jun 10, 2022
    Redditch
    Hi, thanks for the reply, I've joined ecu tune and just waiting for the OBD2 link connector to arrive, then I'm going to have a play with the ECU map and try to smooth it out a bit. I will post the results on here when I've had a play

19. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Throttle response is fine on my 2015 Speed 1050 with twin Arrows and associated map so you should be able to achieve a reasonable throttle. I've always used regular petrol until recently, however since they've changed to E10 I noticed it not running so great. So I'm now using the super marked E5 (with a reset), might be worth trying the Super fuel, it does seem to make a difference now the standard has more ethanol.
    Can't remember where, but TuneECU can show percentage throttle (without engine running) so you can check if it shows 0 to 100.
    +1 all @Red Thunder has said.
    Also if the SAI is intended to be active check the connecting hose for a marble inside, if a previous owner deactivated by this method it might still be there.
    Years ago I had a SprintST 1050, changing to a TOR can and map transformed the off throttle connection, so getting it right is certainly possible.

20. Richard pinfield

Jun 10, 2022
    Redditch