Speed Rs Sc Project

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Heyho, Mar 31, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    #1 Heyho, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Hi wonder if any of u guys know? my 2018 RS was due it’s first mot today but the mot man failed it on exhaust noise saying that it’s way louder than a standard system..Does anyone know the dB difference between the two?i stuck with the twin cans.he also decided to fail it on the rear indicator gap on the evotech tail tidy.the gap should be 180mm,and centre to centre it is but this guy said it should be measured stem to stem.i only took it there to get my free pads on recall and thought they could mot at the same time

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Did you take the bike to a dealer to get the MOT done? If you did you would have been better to find a friendly local mechanic who might have been a bit more sympathetic and not so pedantic. Have you got the baffles out of your can? If you do stick them back in, i didn't know about the indicator gap rule.
    Good luck getting your MOT

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    Yeah it was a main dealer..I thought with it going in for its recall they could do that at the same time..save me a trip.baffles were in.
    The indicators is a funny one mine measure 180mm center to center but this guy says the size is stem to stem..if u look on the Gov website it says illuminated surface to illuminated surface..but the measurement does not need to be taken unless it is obviously incorrect..

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Triologist

Triologist New Member

Nov 26, 2019
    Torbay
    Interesting for me - I’ve got a 2018RS due it’s first MOT soon too and recently fitted the Evotech tail tidy. Just had a look and I suppose it is about 110mm between the ‘illuminated surfaces’. Be interesting to know if others have had this issue - at least I’ve got the original but would be a pain to re-fit just for the MOT, especially as I stuck the plate on rather than screws! Kept the plate legal too, just cut it down a little but within law. How big does an indicator have to be? Can we put tape over the central half - thinking laterally !

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    To be honest I think I just got one of they testers..the guy at the desk pretty much said it would probably pass elsewhere...
    I wish it told u where to take a size from..as one guy could say centre to center and the next edge to edge...at my work I’m always center to center...who knows..
    Is the size 110mm from edge to edge?im not with the bike..

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Triologist

Triologist New Member

Nov 26, 2019
    Torbay
    110 mm is between the closest to midline points of the actual light (plastic cover over LED / reflective surface). Think I’ll risk it - have a friendly local garage who look after my old tin box too !

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    You found a right one there. Who was it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Heyho
    Wow you got a real jobs worth there. I not so long ago mot'd my street triple with the arrow cans on now offensive but not quite. All they said was lovely sounding bike.
    Joe.

9. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    I stay in Edinburgh...not many triumph dealers around here:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    Yeah it’s mental..u would think somebody that works on bikes would appreciate it...funny thing is I got in touch with Sc project today and they replied saying the exhaust they supply is based on the original db levels of the original system..so with the standard baffle in the Sc project cans has the same level as the arrows according to them anyway...obviously the tester knows better...:grinning:

11. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Hm - I have yet to fit my Evotech Tail tidy - I was going to mod it slightly anyway and so might be tempted to make my own when the time comes.
    I suspect most testers would have let this through . . . and the SC project.
    Try somewhere else first but loving the idea of taping up the inner faces of the indicator lenses - a great piece of lateral thinking!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Snusmumrik

Snusmumrik Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    SC Project save 3+ kg mass over already light titanium standard Arrow cans, imho it is a 100% certainty that SC is louder than bigger stock Arrows, and with age, as material burns out, they will become even louder.
    Also, do not forget, SC is an Italian brand, look at Italian bikes, Ducati, Aprilia, MV, they are all loud in stock form. When Italians tell you something is not loud, it is relative. ;)

13. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    Yeah I do think they are louder but by that much they should fail it...who knows...anyway it passed today not a question asked...cracking bike that was the testers view...I know were I won’t be going again...