Speed Rs Keyless Shenanigans

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Alan Gilbert, Oct 24, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Just sorned mine as well!
    So it's not the battery (as long as the terminals are nice and tight) and it's not the key. So that leaves the switch, the Keyless ECU (which is separate from the main ECU) or the wiring loom. Is the switch smooth as I have heard of some switches sticking as did my cruise control switch. Also the wiring plugs into the side of the switch cube, secured by a cable tie, and it might be worth checking the connector.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Thanks for the pointers. I think I'm going to have to take this one step at a time. Having ridden the bike today without issue, I need to repeat the power on scenario a few more times to see if I can get it to switch itself off and until it does it regularly and consistently, I probably won't look further because intermittent issues are always harder to find.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Interesting. Well mine definitely turns itself off. I haven't timed it yet. My bike is 3 years old. So maybe the battery is getting a bit tired.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TRIPLE X

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Interesting that some do and some don't. Maybe it's not a bad thing if it still runs ok. Maybe some bikes are cleverer than others and just helping their owners out if they forget to turn it off :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Did you know this all along or just tried it and found out??
    That’s very interesting to know and so thank you for your comment - it reassures me that mine isn’t the only one to do it and means it’s less like there is something wrong.
    I confirm it has nowt to do with the battery as mine did it with a brand new, fully charged battery. It’s the inconsistency that puzzles me. If it was a programmed function, would you not expect it to happen after the same set time. Assuming nothing is touched after switching on???
    I will play some more after the weekend and post if/when I find out anything useful

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    #26 Ducatitotriumph, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    I just tried mine (speed rs 1050) and it didn't turn off after 4 mins.
    I firstly had it on the tender for 4 mins and then 4 mins without. It stayed on for me.
    Only switched it on and left it. Not with pump primed etc.
    It was serviced a month ago and they did a sw update apparently. Not sure if related at all of course but worth a note etc.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    thanks - similarly interesting. I’m not sure how regularly mine turns off because I’ve been killing it after 5 minutes. . . . Probably around half but I’ve only done it once now after my last ride.
    I was wondering if there have been any software updates. Sometimes dealers just come out with this shite to impress but of course, there are sometimes updates and especially with current bikes. I’m not sure Triumph are going to waste their R&D budget on an obsolete machine but my software is pre-July 2019.
    Again, when I get back, I will call the dealer I purchased from and ask specifically and if there is one I will have them install it.
    Again, will post outcome

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    I'm just aware that it has done it before, when I've been moving it about in the garage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    Does it just "blank out" and insta-off, or does it show the power down animation (not sure about 1050, but the 1200 has a goodbye message). My 1200 was still on after 20 minutes. Pretty sure no vehicle has an auto power off ... well, not sure about them new fangled all electric vehicles, but I doubt they are different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    it powers down properly, exactly as it does when hitting the off switch!!. Thanks for checking

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    I left mine on for 5 minutes earlier and it didn't shut down . When it did it before, it did shut down properly. Not just a sudden cutout.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    #32 Alan Gilbert, Nov 7, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Good evening Peeps . . it seems I have some good news for you and perhaps not entirely good news for myself.
    I've been away visiting a friend for the last week or so and then sidetracked helping my elderly mother with a few bits and pieces but now finally home and decided to change the oil in my Tiger whilst "playing" with the Speedy a little more in order to try and get to the bottom of my keyless issues.
    First off . . the good news for you guys but I suspect some kind sole amongst you might like to check and confirm this . . . . . . .
    1. If the bike is powered up (ignition off), it will stay in that state indefinitely unless you either
    a. wander off and take the key with you or
    b. Switch the key off
    It seems that in the power-on state, the bike is constantly asking the key if it is still there and if it gets a "nil-return", it assumes you've buggered off and forgotten to switch it off and so turns itself off. A design feature which I think we could all agree is eminently sensible BUT . . . my bike appeared to do this at different time intervals and after testing to near destruction, I think I have the answer to that too . . . .
    If you power up and leave the key on the seat the bike is clearly checking the key is still there on a regular basis. If it now gets a nil return because the key is removed or switched off, the bike appears to remain on for another 30 seconds before switching off.
    On the other hand, if you power up with a non-smart key, the algorithm assumes you have powered up deliberately and will know that you have used the non-smart key but of course, now has no way of checking whether or not the key is still there and so will give you 3-4 minutes before calling it quits.
    I haven't repeated the tests with the ignition on . . . my assumption would be that key or no key, it won't turn off because to do so could be dangerous.

Please would someone check their bike and report back - perhaps just power up and then after a minute or so, turn the key off and then wait - I suspect you bike will kiss you goodnight and switch itself off.

OK . . . .the other issue was the bike refusing to switch on when using the smart key - this is still happening.
    When I got back, I took the bike off the accumate and attempted a "smart" power up - feck all happened. The bike just didn't want to know. I'm pretty sure the bike was "asking" if the key was about because when you press and release the power button, the red LED on the dash lights for perhaps 2 seconds, then goes off for a few seconds, flashes once, then off again before two flashes in quick succession. I have not yet looked in the manual to see if this flash sequence is documented but it is almost certainly the indication that the bike is looking for the key because I get the same sequence with the key turned off OR with the key turned on when the bike doesn't switch on.
    With the bike totally unresponsive, I placed the key on the top of the shock reservoir, pressed the power button and she came straight on. Thereafter, the bike switched on and off normally and has been responding to the Smart Key until just now . . . . . .
    I was conducting my final test and had powered up using the Smart key before immediately switching the key off and this time, something different happened. Just as the bike decided to switch itself off, I received a message in amber on the dash saying "Smart key is out of range" and the bike then went to sleep. Afterwards, it is now back again to not responding to the smart key.
    I am going to leave it a few hours/days and keep randomly testing the SMART key to see if with time it will switch on OR if the act of turning it on using the "passive" key is the only way to reset its Smart function - I believe this is the case as it has happened enough times for me to pretty much conclude that this fixes it every time.
    What has me baffled is why it randomly decides not to respond to the Smart key and I am wondering if maybe this message has been displayed once or twice before and I've missed it and after displaying this message, maybe the only way to power up again is to reset by turning on with the passive key??? It's a long shot . . . I suspect there is something wrong with the transmitter on my bike so that when it looks for the key, either it doesn't always send the signal or fails to acknowledge the response from the key. I'm pretty sure it's the bike and not the key which is the problem though it's just so weird that after completely ignoring the key, a passive power up will have it back responding normally again . . time after time after time and it seems logical that maybe the mode in which it goes to sleep does in fact influence how it can be subsequently woken up.
    Will look forward to hearing how folks get on but I'm sure you will find your bikes will all "go to bed" when powered up and you either switch the key off or walk off with it out of range.
    I will continue to test the thing to see if I can draw some more consistent conclusions as I really don't want the Stealers messing with the thing if I'm honest

• Like Like x 1
  13. TRIPLE X

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Try powering up with the smart key turned on and parked in the fuel filler cap lock. Shouldn't make any difference but please try it and confirm whether or not you still have an issue. At the moment I cannot run any tests on my bike as the battery is out and the bike tucked up for the winter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    gladly but . . I can predict the answer. If I try it now- it won’t work (it’s not currently responding to the key when held in range (and to eliminate variables, I’ve been placing it on the rider’s seat).
    When it is once again responding to the Smart key - I will try it in the fuel tank lid - as it is almost certainly within range - I expect it will power up but will let you know…
    My next experiment is to keep trying the smart key to power up over the next few days just to make sure the “Smart power up” function is definitely “dead”.
    To eliminate the problem as a “key” issue, I then plan to power up using one of the spare non-smart keys and then power down. If the bike then immediately responds to the smart key and powers up normally, I will know for sure that it’s a bike issue and nowt to do with the smart key itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    Oh, ignition off. The new Speed Triple 1200 will only unlock the steering, but not turn on, with the ignition switch off. I guess they refined the behavior on the newest model. With the key off and out of range, my bike was still on 15 minutes later as you suggested, with ignition on.

I still think you need to adjust the tiny arms that touch the battery in your key fob ... that fixed my bike not responding to my smart key. I don't know what the old smart key looks like, but the new one has a red/green light, and my light was flickering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    it’s not the key for sure. The power switch on the 1200 looks identical to the 1050 RS.
    One press & release forward and it powers on without ignition and the switch springs back to the engine off position. Alternatively, one click back to the run position and then press and release backward and it powers up with ignition and the power button remains in the “run” position.
    Mine won’t respond to either scenario when it randomly decides not to but I have done enough tests to be virtually certain it’s not the key fob at fault but many thanks for your suggestion which I will remain mindful of just in case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TRIPLE X

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Have you got any weird electronic devices in your garage that might be interfering with the smart key turning it into a daft key?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Just the missus’ Bluetooth vibrator in the car glovebox - she always leaves it on “standby”
    No - nothing it could be. I must have a dodgy transmitter on the bike but unless it gets worse, I’m more inclined to live with it rather than have the stealers mess with the thing.
    When/if the fault becomes permanent, it should be far easier to trace. Meanwhile I will continue to experiment.
    Just in from the garage and the bike isn’t responding to the smart key either in my hand, on the seat or in the tank cap.
    Getting the red LED flash sequence as expected - will need to look that up and double check what it means, assuming I can find it documented.
    Will give it a day or two before I power up with the spare key and then just double check the smart key immediately starts working and if so, not the key QED.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    US version we have an On/Off at the side of the bike. Not sure if UK model is the same. That's what I was calling the main ignition switch. I don't follow how you've conclusively ruled out the smart key fob!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Good point - I forgot some export markets have a separate ignition switch.
    The reason I have concluded it isn’t the key is because when it reliably won’t respond to the Snart key and so then start it with the passive key, thereafter, the smart key works even though I’ve done nothing to it and then maybe a few days later, it stops again but can be reset with the spare as before and the cycle repeats.
    I won’t entirely dismiss the idea it could be the key but it doesn’t stack up as being likely

• Agree Agree x 1