Speed Rs...dilemma

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Mr Triple J, Apr 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MattChr

MattChr Member

Apr 23, 2018
    North London
    I've jumped from Street 675 with twin exhausts to Speed R, also after testing a 765 RS.
    765 felt lighter, very agile and a good margin quicker than the 675. Good rush at the top end too which would be fun on quieter back roads.
    Went for Speed R as the extra weight didn't feel much more than the 675 while on the move, while giving it a planted feel. So much torque everywhere means I don't have to keep the revs high to overtake or make "good progress" on my rides ;-) This makes riding at 7/10ths much more relaxing.
    Speed RS looks lovely but couldn't justify the big costs vs R.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Probably doesn’t help but I’ve got a matt Black africa twin and it’s been fine riding through winter, looks new

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    All the talk of the Street RS missed the virtues of the Street R - a much less peaky bike optimised for the road, not track days. The extra displacement of the Speed will always give it a torque advantage but it is a slightly apples and pears comparison to focus on top end bhp in the lighter bike when it's cheaper sibling produces the same torque 1500rpm lower down. The Street RS is the more profitable to sell!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mr Triple J

Mr Triple J Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2018
    UK
    Put the Monster in winter with intent to buy this year.... was thinking anothe Ducati... but costs more as a I got cracking deal on original monster S plus terms.... hence triumph was looked at and now ordered Speed RS matte black plus quick plus tail plus led indicators

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    I test rode the 2 bikes 2 weeks ago the day after the test ride, bought the Speed RS, I feel its the perfect choice. The Carbon, the Arrow system, the handling, with the power, makes it perfect. The cruise is a nice touch, never had it in a bike before but why not. The smoothness of the engine and power delivery really impressed. Mine arrived Sat, so 150 miles only on the clock but a stunning bike and looking forward to summer. Which ever you choose I'm sure you will enjoy.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mr Triple J

Apr 27, 2018
    UK
    Black RS ordered plus screen, indicators, tailtidy, crash bobbins.... can’t wait ! Pick up first week June post Spain

7. Mr Triple J

Apr 27, 2018
    UK
    Changing to Street RS rode both back to back... the Street is so much wow fun ride grin fun factor for me and the egos are perfect....
    You can really ride the Street RS and feel like your riding it.... the speed feels bigger heavier, not in a bad way at all just does more of on it if that make sense...
    Plus my environment and twisty roads the street is just so much fun and sounds wow with Arrow can...
    So Street RS... tail tidy, crash bungs, bobbins, fly screen, tank pad, smaller LED indicators should be just MINT! dated 20th June for Matte grey....last few apparently??

• Like Like x 2
  8. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    I guess its horses for courses. I rode both and preferred the Speed RS..
    But I am over 50 and prefer the solid feel with bottom end thrust to the more revy nature of the smaller bike.
    If you prefer the more sporty ride then the Street has it. I really enjoyed riding the street as it is a great bike but I thought I may get arrested riding it .... Its very tempting to hammer it at every opportunity for the high rev soundtrack as you hit the red-line
    Enjoy it! you won't be disappointed on either if these bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mr Triple J

Apr 27, 2018
    UK
    Yeah I know what you mean... the larger just feels larger and I'm 5'7 just street felt ergos better also.. both mint machines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mr Triple J

Apr 27, 2018
    UK
    Hi, Just for info... picked up new Street Triple RS (matte grey) fantastic machine... ergo's just perfect for me (5'7) all day comfy.... altho running-in, the fun and sound factor is wow... QS is sublime and box is much smoother than I experienced on the speed... so I guess its over to the Street forum... thanks for all your advice and comments.... stay safe.

IMG_0260.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #31 Rich Bryce, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Enjoy the Street mate. In your position I'd've chosen the Street over the Speed, but the Street R rather than RS. More than enough HP for every day riding, lighter and more agile than the Speed. The Street R a better all round everyday bike than it's RS sibling. But if you're a bigger/tall fellow (like Dougie say) then the Speed makes a great choice too and such a planted machine that not only goes like a missile but looks great too. The new engine mods are a definite upgrade on the previous model. I think the new Speed is an interim introduction because the new Street RS out performs the previous Speed power/weight ratio. Expect an upgrade frame and other components in the next year or two.

• Like Like x 1