Speed Rr Comfort.

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by BT81, May 26, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    I have had my RR since Christmas. And I have to say. I've hated every single moment on it.

I'll be keeping hold as I've just bought it new

The main reason. Comfort or lack thereof.
    The prior bike was a Thruxton RS with the cafe racer fairing. IE low clip ons.

I never had an issue on this. Found it pretty comfortable.
    On the RR. I could never imagine it'd be worse than the Thruxton RS.
    How wrong was I. After only a few minutes my wrists are in pain.

Have anyone made changes on the RR for the better. Not sure why they would. But the easiest thing to change is rearsets. Would a change in foot position alter my upper body position??

2. Phill748

Phill748 New Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Newbury
    When I was doing my rather considerable research I did find a company who make a set of adjustable height bars, which might help with some of your issues. They are £300-400 ish I think, but would probably be cheaper than either hating the bike, or chopping it in.

In terms of the foot peg heights, surely there is no reason you couldn't just fit Speed Triple RS ones?

• Like Like x 1
  3. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I had a go on one and instantly thought, wow this is a bit extreme for what Triumph call a road bike! Very long reach to the bars. Bikes like this make sense when you ride them hard and fast, but you just can't be doing that all the time on the roads. I'm waiting for Triumph to fit the electronic Ohlins to the RS (and the electronics of the new street triple) and then we will have a really good road bike!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Sounds like the BMW R ninet Racer I used to have. Pretty sure it was designed by the Spanish Inquisition to extract confessions :joy:

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    I had a test ride on a 1200RR. Engine was amazing. Very fast but riding position killed my neck. I was very disappointed. Looks great but I couldn't wait to get it back to the shop and get on my 1050RS.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I rode one for all of 20 miles and any further and I would need a trip to an Osteopath, I recall saying when it came out that I could foresee struggling sales due to the extreme riding position, some dealers are discounting them by as much as 5K to get them out of the showroom. I ride my sons Panigale 1299s on a regular basis and honestly it makes it look like a sports tourer by comparison. It will be interesting to see in the future how people get on with the Street Triple Moto 2 version for longer trips.

7. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Had the same issues with my 1050, found the suspension way too hard and the foot pegs too high, it all seems to come together when riding fast but in reality how often do we do that?
    Got round most of the problems by backing the compression damping off and fitting some lower foot pegs.
    Still makes my wrists ache though.
    I had a royal Enfield interceptor for a year and to be honest the triumph hardly got used while l had it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    I did 120miles of motorway riding today. My hands were tingling and the ache in the wrists. Ouch.

I see there is a company called ABM that do new clip ons. Has anyone used them?

Short of new clip ons. Is there anything less extreme to deal with the vibrations though the bars.

Such an odd bike. As during the miles, in every other way, it's such a comfy bike! The suspension. Woah!

9. jimrr

jimrr New Member

Feb 16, 2023
    Bristol
    Hi BT81,

I sold my last bike a 2001 GSXR1000 around 2010. The RR is identical geometry so I can't say it was unexpected but I am also 13 year older and less fit.

I didn't get out on it much this year due to circumstances, and when I finally got around to attempting my favourite route to Aberystwyth I fell over before we reached the good roads because my right leg went into spasm when I tried to put my weight on it !

Anyway, this winter I plan to lose some weight, get fitter, do some mods to the bike, and then be less of a wuss next year.

I'm considering those riser clip-ons, but will wait until I've done a few proper rides next year to decide if they are needed..

10. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    To be fair. They really have been a game change for me. If anything at the moment, they are probably a bit too higher, but the great thing is. You can adjust them.

11. jimrr

jimrr New Member

Feb 16, 2023
    Bristol
    That's good to know, that what sounds like a small change can make a difference. Are they about 45mm higher?

12. Carl556

Carl556 Senior Member

Nov 13, 2019
    Durham Uk
    Ive always been a gixxer boy ;I’ve got 2017 GSXR1000R and have spent a small fortune on it so I’ve had to do a couple of mods to help me keep riding it. Helibars, Mcruise cruise control and a comfy seat. Yoga for flexibility helps also. Keep supple and it’s a lot easier. I’ll do all I can until I have to bring myself to buy one of those fugly god awful BMW GS haha ! Don’t follow the sheep !

13. Carl556

Carl556 Senior Member

Nov 13, 2019
    Durham Uk
    Ive always been a gixxer boy ;I’ve got 2017 GSXR1000R and have spent a small fortune on it so I’ve had to do a couple of mods to help me keep riding it. Helibars, Mcruise cruise control and a comfy seat. Yoga for flexibility helps also. Keep supple and it’s a lot easier. I’ll do all I can until I have to bring myself to buy one of those fugly god awful BMW GS haha ! Don’t follow the sheep !

14. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I have just seen a 2023 model 1200rr with 550 miles on it in a dealers showroom for under £11,000, my sons Ducati Panigale 12999s is by far a lot more comfortable, and a heck of a lot lighter, his previous Gixer was not as extreme as the 1200rr, but not as good overall regarding the handling, suspension, and the electronic aids, the BMW 1000r is a better bet in my opinion than the 1200rr, put it in rain mode and it would in all honesty be suitable for a newish rider, the electronics are up there with the best there is, but place it in full power mode and you have to really hang on. Given the UK weather and roads I don't really need much over 100bhp, especially on the twisties. I have noticed that an awful lot of sports bike riders tend to go for shorter rides, I often get chatting to people and inevitably it comes up "how far have you come", and it is usually no more than 100/150 mile round trip maximum. Those riding none sports bikes say they have come further, and often travel solo as opposed to group riding. Decades of winter mountaineering and white water kayaking have taken it's toll on my body, and now into my 70s I have adapted, no longer the rebel of the 60s but still enjoy those spirited rides and some track days. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

• Like Like x 3
  15. jimrr

jimrr New Member

Feb 16, 2023
    Bristol
    That's the truth iceman, I nearly bought the 100bhp Aprillia RS660 twin, but my neighbour (diavel 1300) said it was too small. I figured Go Big now and then trade down if need be. At least with the RR I will never be thinking "Should I have got a sportier bike?".

• Like Like x 1
  16. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Do you have a link to the risers you bought?

17. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    They are adjustable. I have them on the standard setting as per the manual. For me, they are maybe a bit high..but I'll just loosen them and lower to suit when I get round to it.
    Below are some after photos.

Company is ABM who make them, and in the UK, it's bikermart you get them from

https://www.bikermart.co.uk/Triumph...-ABM-Multiclip-Adjustable-Clip-On-Comfort-Kit

Personally. Highly recommended. Expensive. But to be honest. I've gone from really disliking the bike, to finding it incredibly comfy.

2023-11-01_07-29-23.jpg

2023-11-01_07-28-31.jpg

2023-11-01_07-28-10.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Blue1

Blue1 New Member

May 2, 2023
    Earth
    I test rode an RR prior to buying by RS and the motor and chassis is excellent, but the riding position seemed less comfortable than my '07 'busa as stock. And I was in my forties when I bought that.

I put on slightly lower bend 'bars, but added 3/4" risers to the 'bar clamps. As delivered, the RS has a slightly extreme riding position for a naked class bike.

The RR was pure sport bike riding position to me.

19. Marco Wikstrom

Sep 28, 2023
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Just saw an RR today with a normal handlebar. Not sure what was required, but the owner told me it took some doing and he's pretty comfortable now. He had the dealership do it and it cost him about $3K.

20. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    I'd just put the same bars on as I did. Certainly wouldn't cost that much!!!
    There is more than enough adjustability to get the bars even higher than I have them,.

• Like Like x 1