Something Was Missing ...

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Chris Chadwick, Aug 3, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    ... from my life. I didn't really know what it was, it was just a slightly empty feeling. Then I got headhunted by another company and my own company dramatically upped my pay to keep me. Things like this don't happen very often but having some extra money for once made me think about what I could buy (as it does). Suddenly I realised what the missing thing was: a motorcycle. I last had one (a 1998 Speed Triple 955i which I'd had for 8 years) in 2010 but sold it to fund my obsession with scuba diving. Several years of cycling and public transport later and I have just ordered a brand new khaki green Triumph Explorer XCA from Jack Lilley in Ashford (the bike had already come in from the factory when I went to pay my finance deposit yesterday although it won't be ready for a couple of weeks and was missing a few bits still) Having hit 50 last year I thought that this may be the last time I splurge on anything so I've made the most of it. Being single with no kids, there is nothing stopping me! :)
    My plan is to use the TEX (as it appears to have been nicknamed - I'm a bit behind the times - although I prefer Nora the Explorer, or maybe Laura?) to go touring around the UK and Ireland, to begin with, hopefully camping if I can get my camping head back on, but maybe with the odd B&B thrown in. I'll also be commuting to work on it each day (I live in Kingston and work in Wimbledon so it's not a particularly long ride to work). It's an exciting time and I'm really looking forward to it. I don't want to sound cheesy but I'm really happy to feel part of the biking community again (almost) as I've spent the last few years admiring the sound of bikes as they overtake my bus - I'm still able to detect the exhaust note of the triple! - or pull up at the lights as I walk across in front of them, often admiring but always forlorn! I almost felt guilty wearing my Triumph T-shirt but not actually having a bike! I had got quite out of touch but it's amazing how quickly it all comes back.
    I hope to be an active contributor on here and even though I'm usually quite a solitary person I would be very happy to get acquainted with other local bikers in due course, especially if anyone fancies ride-outs and so on.
    All the best everyone and safe riding!
    Chris

• Like Like x 7
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Hi & welcome in. Couple of weeks - tell to get it sorted you need it Saturday !!!!:p:laughing::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    Thank you Mr Orange. I'm quite enjoying the anticipation as it happens! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    Ha! Dora is another option! I haven't decided yet. :)

5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Bought our house off a Chris Chadwick strangely enough. Anyway you've done the correct move to have your bike freedom back and you know it! Welcome in

6. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    Cheers Tigcraft. Yep, I know it alright!! :blush:. I can't afford a house, not down here anyway. Still, I've always got me tent! :sun:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Chris and welcome to the forum :)

There's one or two nut cases on here,,,,,,, no not really there's lots :imp:;):)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Chris and welcome into the Triumph Asylum - Nursie will be round soon with your meds :p:p:p:p

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    #9 Chris Chadwick, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Ha Ha! Tiglet and Tigcraft? Are you related? :)
    Couple of pics from yesterday's visit attached. :blush: Check out my explorer streetfighter! Who needs a screen or mirrors?

Explorer 2.jpg

Explorer.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  10. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    Cheers Biglad!

11. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum Chris.

12. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    Cheers Mick!

13. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum Chris.
    Great looking bike.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    That is a fine looking bike, nice choice and I am sure you will enjoy. All the best.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    Cheers Gary. Yeah I'm definitely getting excited now! :)

16. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    Incidentally, I feel obliged to say I'm originally from Sheffield so a special hello to all my fellow Yorkshiremen (and women). But I do feel very welcome daan Saarf having been here a few years. My mum doesn't know I've bought this yet so I plan on surprising her by rumbling up her drive in Sheffield later this month! Ha Ha! I don't visit her often enough, so she tells me etc. She'll be sick of the sight of me soon! Any excuse to check out the cruise control on the M1 :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Welcome in here, Chris.:)

May I humbly suggest Aurora the Explorer?

Yes indeed, I do have too much time on my hands:rolleyes:. Pass the Kia-ora, Flora.o_O

This is too much!:confused:

Oh god, I need help:eek:. NURSEY, more meds:yum, and the screens please!!:worried:

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    Thanks Steve, I'll add your suggestions to the list! Ha Ha!

• Like Like x 1
  19. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome
    The bike looks great....enjoy :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    Thanks dilli! I stroked the seat when I first met her. Sad? :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1