Something has happened to the forum...................................

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by thebiglad, Mar 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Decided we need more big guns!!! I think that's the general conclusion :confused::D

• Like Like x 2
  2. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Title............Something has Happened to this forum

Conclusion...Yes it has, It can be settled with Big Guns.

• Like Like x 3
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Will you want a summary of the whole thread, the original thread or of each individual sidetrack? Could take longer to read than the whole thread!

• Like Like x 1
  4. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Conclusion: It's Friday. It's pub night.

• Like Like x 3
  5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Ditto !!!

6. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    And the suns out:)

• Like Like x 2
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

And he clocks go forward Saturday night, so next week will have an hour longer after work to go out for a cheeky run :)

• Like Like x 7
  8. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Me shooting at 1,000 yes at Bisley with open sights. The bull is about 14".

IMG_0009.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    WOW mate, that looks a long, long way. Did you hit the target? If you did "you is deadly" !!!!!!!!

10. desertspeedy

desertspeedy Senior Member

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    That is fantastic stuff to compete in, good on you!! My eyes now require optics to hit at that distance. Which caliber, please?

11. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i had an airgun when i was a teenager and i aimed at a pigeon that was perched on top of a large tree,it must have been 100 yds away ,didn't expect to get it but i hit it right in the head and it dropped like a stone:oops:,i felt really guilty and i only ever shot tin cans after that:(..i did eat the pigeon though;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

I was thinking the same thing. I dont mind patter, not extreme shock and awe. I have started thinking about leaving

13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    When I was living north of Aberdeen I did some 'chassing' for a while. Pidgeons, duck, other wild fowl and rabbits. It got to a stage where I felt I didn't have the right or the need to kill other creatures, so I packed it in.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

When I was involved in field target shooting, I lived on a farm(non working). Had a great big grain silo, which was infested with rats. Loved spending an hour, sat on an old trailer, popping rats off. Could hear the thwump as the pellet hit them, then the jump in the air squealing before landing dead!!!! :D
    Never felt guilty killing rats, even tho we had them as pets years before. :confused:

• Like Like x 4
  15. desertspeedy

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I get it completely. I haven't hunted afield since my Dad passed on. We used to hunt for grouse and woodcock in the overgrown apple orchards on old, abandoned farmsteads. I miss the times with him and the birds were tasty. Now I find I can get whatever I need to eat all conveniently dressed and packaged. I do enjoy my target shooting though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. desertspeedy

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Over here where I grew up the Fall season for woodcock had them hiding in alder thickets. They'd wait until you nearly stepped on them, then fly rapidly upward in that crazy corkscrew pattern. I probably hit 1 out of 5, lol. Tasty eating and all dark meat. Right after I got married I brought only one home, dressed it like a turkey (tied legs and all) and roasted it. My new bride came home and asked what smelled so good. I showed her and told her it was a robin. She nearly lost her mind until I showed her the feathers. Still a good prank all and all.

• Like Like x 4
  17. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Would have been more than your mind you had lost if you hadn't come clean :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    .308 System Gemini. Actually I have only recently sold it.

IMG_1059.JPG

19. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    It's all about reading the wind at those long distances. A strong wind can blow the shot off 5' or more. You only get 2 sighting shots to find the bull. 1,000 yds is fun. The Black aiming mark is about 6' diameter with a 14" bull. I never put them all in the middle but did manage 15 bulls at 900 yds once with 7 in the inner bull. I think I came about 75th out of 1,100. So the competition is tough.

I used open sights but the guys who use scopes have a smaller bull size of 10" with the inner bull of 5". The top shooters can put them all into a 5" group at 1,000 yds.

• Like Like x 2
  20. desertspeedy

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Rooster, that is a sweet chassis you had there. Will you replace / upgrade? Thank-you for the picture :). I am using one of Scott McCree's aluminum chassis on my .22lr trainer and love it. Though I need optics for my "mature" eyes, lol. I am using NightForce scopes on all my distance platforms. How fun to meet another marksman! Some of us do appreciate ALL things mechanical and having Triumphs as a common ground is just fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  21. desertspeedy

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Nothing like a fickle wind to mess with one's shot. I do some 800 yard stuff and have been fortunate enough to shoot some ridiculous distances on steel out in the desert. Cheytac .408 and a McMillan "Big Mac" 50 BMG with friends rifles. These days anything above .308 I find to be too much of a hit to the body to be pleasurable (arthritis) for more than a squeeze or two.

CHEERS,

Chris

• Like Like x 2
  22. desertspeedy

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Asking respectfully, where are you finding the "shock and awe"? Feel free to toss me a private conversation if you'd rather not broach it in this thread. I am trying to wrap my head around some of the sensitivities of members posting "leaving" comments in this thread. Being that "shock and awe" are a Yank creation of verbiage.