Something has happened to the forum...................................

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by thebiglad, Mar 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Over the last 12 months there seems to be a slow but steady change occurring right across the forum and for me it is a trend that I don't like.

There seems to be less and less of subjects where bikers are helping each other to enjoy their bikes and more politics and extreme views.

For me the forum is risking losing it's "specialness" :(:(

Obviously I'm not expecting crowds of peeps to agree with me, but this concern has been building in me for a while. Maybe it's just me and my time here is coming to an end????????

• Like Like x 1
  2. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    I think recently with all the talk of politics that's going on ( I'm guilty of this) is due to the fact of the madness of the last year or so.
    As to talking about bikes and helping each other I'm more than willing to do either of those :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

This is one of the reasons I created the thread to deal with politics, too much spilling over into other stuff. Hope this will take it away from where it is not needed or wanted. I am a guilty as anyone of reaction, so I hope this action will take it out and away.
    I still believe this is a great wee forum, and welcomes newbies and all their questions better than any I have ever been on, and hopefully it does stay that way.
    I hope you can find a way to stay part of this biglad, as you are a mainstay of the forum and helped to create the friendly ethos of the group.

• Like Like x 5
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yeah I've seen the same, I'm hoping it's just down to the winter and peeps not getting out and about on their bikes so much, hopefully with the better weather it'll change a bit. As said we can chose to ignore threads if not interested.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    I'm in the same boat as Smilinjack, in being fairly new and I hope it aint me that made the place go to shit!

Not that I'm paranoid or anything. I'm honestly really not. Please believe me I'm not.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    .. but I have to say, this is one of the best forums Ive ever frequented (true story).

I think I'd still hang about here, even if I didn't have a Triumph.

• Like Like x 6
  7. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Well I have been as guilty as anyone for going off on a tangent, this is the first forum I have ever been on so my naivety and eagerness to contribute may have got the better of me at times.
    What I have witnessed though is a genuine desire for people to help each other and share experiences, good and bad.
    There are plenty of 'sub forums' that have nothing to do with Triumphs or biking so that in itself can encourage differences of opinion.
    I personally enjoy the banter and the vast range of topics covered.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Strangely I have to agree with you Dave (which is odd,.... I/we often don't ;):D), have been thinking the same in recent months and contemplated leaving the forum. But decided instead to just become less involved, I still love my Speed3 (and the missus her Street3) they're both (all 3?) keepers. I've just become more selective in when I post or offer comment/advice, and do my best to ignore the crap.......
    .......Which unfortunately makes the forum less "special" than it once was. IMHO

• Like Like x 1
  9. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Maybe it's me? All my gripes about my T120. Maybe I'm bringing it all down?

Personally, from what I read, I think we're a fairly like minded bunch and I never even noticed politics. Don't get me started on that please

• Like Like x 1
  10. Suffolkbumpkin

Suffolkbumpkin Senior Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Ipswich
    Only read bike threads, not noticed any other stuff, this and triumph rat are my main sources of information. I am part of the America Facebook group and that's fine as well.

Coming from the bike chat forums the behaviour and language on here compared to that, well, just no comparison.

Then I am happy to dip in and out as opposed to being overly active.

P.S Got my next upgrade planned Hagon 2810's due to be fitted next week ;) this bike is a keeper for a long time.

• Like Like x 3
  11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Gentlemen one and all, I find your comments heartwarming.

We have something special here and it seems like we all want it to stay that way.

• Like Like x 8
  12. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Things are going to change. Every new member that becomes active is going to have an effect on the ethos of the site. I too worry about some of the recent content, but hopefully we can get past that and move on.
    I hope that my becoming staff has not altered the feel of the group, as I have tried in my actions is to try and maintain the status quo, because I too feel this is a special little corner of the big Internet world out there.
    If I have been part of this, please let me know, as I took the job on with the best of intentions and not some sort of power trip, as I have witnessed on some Facebook and forum groups.
    Hopefully you can see this from the reactions of people on here tonight, this is a great wee place and long may it stay that way and free from keyboard warriors as witnessed on one thread recently (if you missed it, sorry, cleaned up and sorted quick as I could).
    So, let's have a big group hug and get back to riding the piss out OF BMW owners ;):D

• Like Like x 7
  13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Absolutely spot-on Ron. You're doing a rock-steady job.

Ade, brace yourself mate, there's a shit storm a-comin' !!!!

• Like Like x 3
  14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Maybe that's the secret ingredient!!!

I'll go back on the gixxer forum and tell them they need a short person that never owned a gixxer but owns a BMW to join!

That way they can stop being such a bunch of cnuts and vent it all onto the SBMWR!!! ;):D

• Like Like x 2
  15. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    I think as more people join then it will change a bit.
    If you really want to see a forum that's gone to the dogs look at bike chat forums.
    Need I say any more on that.
    Most of us on here talk a load of cobblers but at least funny cobblers :D

Just noticed I've been here nearly a year, do I get anything special on my birthday :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great forum, I don't think it's any individual more due to its expansion on the number of members thus a larger bucket of sh..... sorry opinions and interests:D.

• Like Like x 2
  17. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Bit late already had one ;)

18. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Crawler :D Creep :D or should that be teachers pet :D

• Like Like x 2
  19. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you secret safe with me ;)
    And that issue with the livestock, will never tell a soul. !!! ;):D:D

• Like Like x 2
  20. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
  21. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Now if I'd started with that line you'd be thinking I was talking about my Scottish pals but a few miles from here ! Hope you realise all my off bike comments are all in good humour from a daft Geordie in the North East tinged by a genuine bit of head scratching about the whole political state of play at the moment

Like a few I'm pretty new on here but I love it and it's still more about bikes, biking folks and our mutual love of a great brand
    Plus we've got mr O to sort out any subversives.....ever thought of becoming one of the Chasers on ITV Ron ?