Featured Speedmaster Something For Growler Part One

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by brown mouse, Jan 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    So, after 4 attempts at making a final seat cover I finally have something I'm happy to call 'job done', I'm well chuffed :grinning::grinning::grinning:, and especially pleased with how the proportions complement my seat :grinning:.

bike-front.jpg
    bike-side.jpg

Family photo of baby seat, mummy seat and daddy seat (Stock seat, Triumph 'comfort seat', and brown mouse special).

sizes.jpg

I found Triumph's 'comfort' seat whilst being 3cm wider than stock, still uses the same base pan, so has no more support in the width :(

For my final seat version the base was made from varnished ply and the brackets painted so they don't stand out when bike viewed from side...

bottom.jpg

The piping on the Triumph seats is light grey and very thin and I couldn't find anything close to buy, So I ended up taking apart some I bought and used a Sharpie on the inside to darken it, together with some thin black insulation from electrical wire, this ended up been a fair match.

piping.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

That’s brilliant mate :cool:
    A job well done and looks like you could’ve bought it from Triumph :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Agree a lovely job, well done @brown mouse

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Cracking job, excellent results, excellent work well done that man,:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Final result looks very professional @brown mouse, wifey will be pleased, well done :party::heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Malcvtr

Malcvtr New Member

Aug 5, 2021
    England
    That is just stunning! You have done a fantastic job there. Well done. If you had the time, I'm sure many people would very much welcome a step-by-step instructional with measurements on how to make their own. It's the best home-made addition to a bike I've ever seen! Thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

He’s a very clever mouse!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. SpeedMasterPete

SpeedMasterPete New Member

Jun 9, 2022
    Nottinghamshire
    It would be nice if you could start producing them, I know there would be a market for them. How much would the mouse want, to make one for me?

9. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Sorry, it was done out of necessity and far too much faff to want to do again.

10. SpeedMasterPete

Jun 9, 2022
    Nottinghamshire
    That's a shame, but I get it!
    You could make a fortune though, as there would be a big demand, due to riders getting nagged about partners numb -bums, and Triumphs failing to make a 'comfort seat", bigger than a small child's lunchbox!
    Would you be able to posts dimensions of seat base, and further instructions at all?

11. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    Very Nice job. I'm sure the receiver of all this effort is appreciative.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. SpeedMasterPete

Jun 9, 2022
    Nottinghamshire
    So.... I though I'd have a go at this myself, as Mrs SMP found everytime she used the "comfort seat", it nearly crippled her.
    I'm not as technically gifted as Mr Mouse, so bribed the guys in our Prosthetics Laboratory with a big bag of biscuits, and their vacuum moulding kit produced the following, using the standard seat base. IMG-20220705-WA0001.jpg IMG-20220705-WA0000.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. SpeedMasterPete

Jun 9, 2022
    Nottinghamshire
    The "toilet seat" the got attacked by the foam monster IMG-20220707-WA0004.jpeg IMG-20220707-WA0002.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  14. SpeedMasterPete

Jun 9, 2022
    Nottinghamshire
    "Duct-tape' covered test ride! IMG-20220703-WA0002.jpeg IMG-20220703-WA0000.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  15. SpeedMasterPete

Jun 9, 2022
    Nottinghamshire
    1 1/2 hour test ride, with ZERO complaints from the good lady, so onto winner here, I think.
    It's currently with a mate, who does upholstery as a hobby (weirdo!! ) so will update with finished product, when I get it back.

• Like Like x 3
  16. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Great work :grinning: Very handy having friends with the right equipment and know-how.

17. SpeedMasterPete

Jun 9, 2022
    Nottinghamshire
    Thanks, but I can't take all the credit!
    I tried to make a wooden base, like yours... but after numerous attempts, sacked it as I didn't have the patience!
    It's a shame Triumph UK don't read this, take the hint, and actually produce a comfortable "comfort seat", as they could make an absolute fortune!

18. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Well, for the 2022 model they did change the pillion seat. Still looks very narrow though and I don't know if the base pan is any different of they just perched more foam on top.

They also made the riders 'comfort seat' the standard seat. It was taking the piss charging extra for comfortable seats.

19. SpeedMasterPete

Jun 9, 2022
    Nottinghamshire
    So you think they had a lot of complaints about the riders seat, too?

20. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    No idea. Perhaps they just realised it wasn't good marketing to have a 'cruiser' with optional 'comfort' seat, or perhaps only having one seat makes manufacturing and stocking process cheaper.