Featured Some Guitar Players, Lovers, Addicts?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Hubaxe, Nov 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Agree. They are quality and rock (pardon the pun) solid.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Richard Jolly

Richard Jolly Member

Nov 11, 2020
    CA.
    you made a good score. That's exactly what I was told also. They have a really really unique quality in their tone. Almost a piano like tone to them. Really sweet sounding basses and guitars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    I would not say better but very different. Warwick thumb or Corvette are a standard in heavy rock music. I would claas then is the same scope than Musicman Stringray.

4. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    I'm a bit confused, I bought this amp stand in a flea market for 5 bucks.
    As I started to clean it for a respray, I noticed the blue tape written "John Martyn Band"
    Not sure this was related to the real John Martyn? And can't see how a John Martyn band could exist in France. There John Martyn is absolutely unknown.
    This amp stand will keep it's former life secret and will be resprayed anyway.

IMG_2579.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Here is a travel guitar inspired from the Ibanez Iceman I built now a long time ago. I brought this guitar everywhere I had to go for job purpose (US, and all over Europe) It uses all the stuff I had remaining in boxes, Aside is my LP Deluxe 1979 to compare the scale.
    iceman10.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  6. Richard Jolly

Richard Jolly Member

Nov 11, 2020
    CA.
    I had an early nineties Warwick German made Fortress One RB that had one of the best necks, that I ever played on. I wish I had never sold that bass. I had gotten rid of the MEC's and replaced them with some EMG's, that I hated, Because, ENG's sound to sterile for me and have no real mids to them. Just a great bottom end and Very nice highs, but no mids. IMO. I was getting reddy, to put in some Barts in it . But, I traded that bass along with a Carvin EX five string neck thru bass with pezzios, for my 1996 G&L L2500. Which wouldn't sell that bass, for anything. But I hated losing that Warwick and have since tried to find a replacement Fortress One RB, that's German made also and not one of those Rock Basses either. That G&L bass, is one of the six basses, that I'm keeping out of the twenty, that I'm selling. I'm keeping six of them.like my fenders, a couple of Gibsons, my Hofner and maybe my Lakland 44-64 after I swap out the pickups for Barts. I've got DiMarzio DP 126's in it right now and it sounds good. But I feel that the barts will give me the bottom end and lower mids that I like. Then I'll keep that bass also.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    Looks like he's known in Aix le Bains ;)

John was a tourer so I wouldn't be surprised if he gigged round Europe. Possibly the artist I've seen most often live. Mainly because he seemed to play our local venue (Leas Cliffe Hall in Folkestone) about every six months

In my addled memory Hawkwind used to play there monthly. They are definitely the band I've seen most often. I'm not a huge Hawkwind fan but.... it's a gig. DIdn't see Stacia's tits tho. Before my time @dilligaf ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. GmanJeff

GmanJeff Member

Mar 30, 2020
    Virginia, USA
    My band is on hiatus, for obvious reasons. My six-strings include a ES-335, two Les Pauls, a Strat Ultra, a Tele Deluxe, D-45, B-25N, and others. 4-strings are a Guild Starfire Bass II and a Lakland 44-02.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Richard Jolly

Richard Jolly Member

Nov 11, 2020
    CA.
    I've got a Black Guild Starfire One, thats a fun bass to play. But, out of all my Hollow-bodys. I'd say my Hofner 500/1 is my favorite. I can play anything with that bass. It took me sometime at first, to get that bridge down and it being short scale. But man is it lite to play and I use Pyramid Gold flatwounds on my Hofner. That's the bass everybody always wants me to play too. Because, it has such a deep rich tone to it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Now he is but only by me :) by the way i ve been intrigated and listen some of this songs. Dunno or the amp stand was John Martyn's one, but I m happy to listen him. I Like it a lot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    NGD. Half size for the grandson :)

IMAG5089.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  12. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    I have a Les Paul Tribute in smoked Bourbon and a Parker PM20 with Semour pups. Play mainly my Orange Rocker 32

IMG_20200711_120019-min.jpg

Parker PM20.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    Both absolutely gorgeous guitars. Love that finish.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Which one?
    The Parker is Bubinga, that finish is what made me buy it and the slim neck to to fit my hands and did I say it was light;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    Both, I like darkwood finishes but the Parker is stunning. Is it chambered at all or a solid lump? I've a personal pref for slimmer necks too, is the Gibby neck not a bit fat? I've not played many proper Les Pauls but they've always seemed a bit wide for me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    No the Parker body is solid but thinner and contoured weighs about 5-6lbs I think.
    Les Paul 50's necks are reknowned for being chunky but 60's style necks are slimmer; it is nearly as comfortable as the parker.

I always shied away from Gibsons as I looked on them as being overpriced but the Tribute I have, has won me over;
    Tone is superb but my back feels the difference during 4hr rehearsals:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    Anything over a couple of ton is, if not overpriced, out of reach at the mo so academic. ;) Despite my liking for set necks (just a form and function thing) when I get a 'big brand' guitar I'm erring toward a 'buckered tele variant.

But I'll say again, that Parker and LP are bloody gorgeous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I started playing about 50yrs ago, high school. I bought a used Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, which I had routed and fitted with Seymour Duncan 59's. I played the neck out on this one, so she is retired. Les Pauls are still my faves, I just recently bought a Gibson Firebird. My amp is 100 watt Marshal Plexi, Had it since 1976. I do love my music!

• Like Like x 4
  19. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I saw BJH in Birmingham about 12 years Dundee. The Victims of Circumstance tour. Wishbone Ash play in Holmfirth every year, which is just down the road from me. Still haven't got round to seeing them.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I've got a few guitars that I play to an exceptionally mediocre standard. Treated myself to a Les Paul Standard earlier this year so I could sound more like Gary Moore and Slash. I don't.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3