Featured Some Guitar Players, Lovers, Addicts?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Hubaxe, Nov 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I like the Taylor. Lovely tone. I have a 316ce.

upload_2022-1-28_0-49-15.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    What is that in the middle? A guitar with a bass like body? Custom made?
    I know, 3 questions in a row, but I need to know :)

3. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Nice eclectic collection! A Strat and a Tele can't be wrong in a collection.

I ordered the new Marshall Origin 50W Head as spare rehearsal amp, they are below 500 euros (made in Vietnam :worried:) and are full tube, based on the 59 plexi design. Will have it mid march.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheBeardedPunk

TheBeardedPunk Senior Member

Oct 7, 2021
    Belgium
    It's just a small electric guitar that I bought when I went to the States as a Kid, some 25 years ago. It's actually the oldest guitar in my collection. I came with a tiny fully functional Marshall amp.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Ok, it's a 3/4 guitar. Like the Chiquita from "Back to the future". Nice.

6. JD_Lincs

JD_Lincs Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    I'm a big David Gilmour fan - have been since Meddle - I didn't intend to do electric at all when I learned to play on that Spanish nylon-strung you can see closest. The Fenders were inevitable!
    Marshall is very good kit, but I always wished I could afford the valve stuff.

Unfortunately, my playing has deteriorated over the years and I neglect it too much.

Edit: btw when I bought that Strat, about 20 years ago, they were just £500. Gobsmacking that you can't get one for under £1,000 these days.

• Like Like x 1
  7. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I've never got on well with strats for some reason. Had a few including some really nice ones! Always end up selling them. I do love and own a tele though.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Took me 20 years to find a Strat I could play.
    Almost gave up owning one. During a work travel to USA in 2011, there was a Guitar Centre on the way to the office.
    After 2 hours trying all of them (the guys were lovely and carried on all guitars I wanted), ended buying an US American Special over all others. Maybe the jumbo frets, the hot pickups, don't know. Strats are so different each others.
    Have a now rare Squier Telecaster Japan from 91 I guess. Refretted once with jumbo frets too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    I’ve a couple of guitars I’d like refretting (one has neck binding) and I’d like to up the fret size… never really sure where to send them. The guitars aren’t high value, but I like them.

10. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Do it yourself then. Not that difficult if you take your time. If guitars are not high value, a luthier will often charge more than the guitar value.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
    refrets are usually in the $200+ range

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
    and on the bass side of the house , 2 more I built : lined fretless birdseye redwood burl over walnut and lacewood , and my fretted Curly Koa over Claro Walnut

my fretless.jpg

20190105  keilani.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  13. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I love the tone from a strat, never found one with a bridge pickup I liked though. I don't know if it's the control layout or I just haven't found 'the one'. I tend to knock the toggle switch and volume on them. When I don't have a strat, I want a strat. When I have a strat, it annoys me and I sell it. Probably had 5 or 6 of them altogether and no doubt will have another in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. JD_Lincs

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    Yes, they do have an awesome sound - especially in the hands of someone like Mr Gilmour.

I realy wanted the plate and pick-up you could get that mimicked his set-up but it was far too expensive.

When I bought my first "Strat" - the Squier learner one - the first thing I did was decide to learn Shine On you Crazy Diamond. Took me 10 months just to remember the entire piece and get through it without needing to look at the tab - but one part I couldn't play with a pick was the double time arpeggio at various parts of the tune. (That's me with it in the photo, about 17 years ago)

When I bought that American Standard Strat it all came together. Maybe it was a psychological thing, but suddenly I could do it. For me it has the perfect neck profile, fret size/shape and string distance. I prefer wider nuts and string spacing.

edit: that DG20 has got a little cheaper now...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/emg_dg20_david_gilmour.htm

The Tele is now a Frankentele - put a different neck on it (a Strat neck) with different machine heads etc and now I've fitted a couple of Entwistle pick-ups as well. I must admit I'm not 100% happy with how it plays, but it does sound very nice.

JohnStrat.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  15. JD_Lincs

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    Talking of basses - here's one I bought a few years ago when I first switched - a Crafter Acoustic bass - I'll upload a video fo me trying to play it later...

Also, my favourite hollowbody - it was a special edition Ibanez AFS-77T and I loved it, but sold it when I was hard up for cash once. Really regret selling that guitar.

Crafter BA400EQ.JPG

Ibanez AFS-77T.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  16. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    just received this gizmo allowing to detune from E to D in a flip. Really clever, perfect tuning stability. The best 25 euros spent from a long time in a guitar stuff. Will use it on stage next Friday.
    There on my Gibson SG ri61

PitchK_D.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  17. JD_Lincs

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    Well time to embarass myself with that promised video of me attempting to play the Crafter acoustic bass!

It's a Tallstrom piece (it sounds awesome when he plays it) and I just could not get the hang of non-buzzing slides on that bass. It was my first ever bass guitar, so that's my excuse.
    I bought it cos a guy had approached me to play in his "acoustic band" and wanted me to play bass. Turned out he meant busking! I ended up selling it soon after.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9...=sharing&resourcekey=0-0C3ADMZuBk30EeLfflc8iw

edit: the original:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Don't be embarrassed, nice piece of music, and the dog seems captivated. (Mine runs away as I practice o_O)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    I enjoyed it, better than the shite I scratch out! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. JD_Lincs

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    Thanks, I guess we're all probably our own biggest critics but I always cringe when I hear those buzzes - any buzzes.

• Like Like x 1