Solo, With A Partner Or In A Group - Which Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Doc Strange, Aug 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?
  1. Solo

32 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. With one other rider

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. In a group

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    This is about riding your motorbike right!

Thought I'd best make that clear at the start knowing what I'm dealing with with you lot :)

Was chatting the other day with a mate ab out how we prefer to ride and I wondered how others felt on the issue.

Now personally, motorbikes have always been my version of the horse Clint rode - a mount for the cool, lone rider.

I can remember as a kid seeing a picture of a Harley on a desert highway and that image of bikes has stuck with me even if a GS on the M25 ain't quite the same thing ;)

I've one mate I ride with a couple of times of year, usually including a Europe trip and we work OK together. He's a generally faster rider, but he knows he won't 'shake me off' and I know I won't lose him.

Hardly ever ride in a group unless it's a charity run, demo or funeral.

Basically, I like riding at my pace and others are either too fast or too slow.

What about you folks?

DS

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    To me it's a strange one. I definitely prefer riding solo but when you reach your destination it's nice to have someone there to shoot the shit with and share the experience and a brew.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    I agree, I prefer to ride either on my own or with one or two, max, other riders, they are normally my son and grandson.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Solo. Riding alone or with my wife as passenger is a selfish pleasure.
    I hate to ride with others, that go too fast, too slow, don't stop where you want to stop, stop every 5 minutes...
    Sometime can do an exception for a good friend

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I have a mate called Gordon who I like to ride with who is an ex policeman :eek:
    He used to be all over the country following the bad lads on normal road bikes keeping his distance so as not to be spotted :)
    He is a much better rider than I am having done loads of police advanced rider courses :confused:
    But we always get somewhere together and I like to watch his lines and braking points :)
    I had a Fazer 1000 and he had a Suzuki cruiser about 6yrs ago :)
    We were having a blast reet up north somewhere in jockistan and I was struggling to keep up as the corners to me were getting more and more difficult :(
    I felt like I was over breaking into the corners and was blown away by his riding skills getting the speeds just right and never touching his brakes :cool:

His Feckin brake light bulb had blown :mad:
    And I nearly Feckin died :mad:

• Funny Funny x 26
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I have yet to find a group that would want to be anywhere near me :confused:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Love riding in big groups. It gets peoples attention, not that I'm a natural show off, it's just saying "here we are, a big group of bikers, behaving but having fun".
    I love riding on my own too, at my own pace. I love riding in small groups too, stopping for tea and ice creams etc and talking shit with other stupid blokes or even sensible women. My wife actually prefers me riding in a group as she worries if i'm on my own and have a crash there'll be nobody on hand to help me.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Lonesome but don't mind meeting at a destination. Too tempting to attempt to keep up or, if in front, too much time spent looking in the mirror...................

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Solo - seen too many accidents caused by riders showing - off out of their abilities. Happy listening to my bike and enjoying the ride.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    #10 JtC, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    I also like riding alone ("alone" includes just me and my lady on the Goldwing) except for funerals and charities.

I have ridden with groups over 300 when I was riding with the Patriot Guard Riders and also 50 or 60 with biker church rides and the CMA for toy runs, etc. -it wasn't what I'd call enjoyable, but the missions involved were always worth it.

• Like Like x 8
  11. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    #11 Don the Don, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    I ride solo, and will meet others at destination for a blather but I prefer it on my own as I just take things easy and would not like to try and keep up with Barry sheen on the rocket ship leading, plus I am an acquired taste anyway and some would find it difficult to understand my mentality.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    When I first started riding back in 1982, there was a whole group of us just learning and hanging around together, so wherever we were going it tended to be in groups of 2 or 3 up to 20 or 30 if we were all going somewhere ( pub, party, bike show)
    For most of us the bike was our sole form of transport so the bike was a functional tool as well as a fun way of getting around
    To this day my bike has to have a purpose (no garage queens here) which is getting me to work in London quickly, efficiently, and nowadays avoiding people on packed trains
    So riding solo for me, but I do miss the days we used to charge off in a group on a Friday night to god knows where to do god knows what:p

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Yeah but Gordon is a moron

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    Yeah, me too - but reckon that's missing being 18 more than missing riding in a group!

These days getting a group of mates together takes military planning months in advance. Then, where we go is all planned to ensure people are contactable, fed at the right time, or have access to a loo! What we get up to, even if reasonably wild, is also carefully planned to be over early enough that we wake up not too shit the next day as we have work/family to deal with or just can't take it any more :)

Or is that just me?

DS

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Your right there DS, anything requires military planning these days, but I’d still enjoy if we could ever arrange the stars into the right alignment:)
    I may be in my fifties to the outside world, but in my head I’m still 18:laughing:

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

On me billy or with a couple of trusted mates. I’ve mates who ride as if overtaking is essential at the nearest hint of a gap... I frustrate them by not riding like them and visa versus... I’ve been on a couple of larger group rides, one for a funeral and one because of an invite. I admit to feeling much more comfortable in my own little world.

• Like Like x 10
  17. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    On my own these days since my main riding buddy of about 25 years retired from biking. Do miss the company though when you pull into a pit stop for a bite to eat and discuss the ride.

Used to ride with a rat pack with anything up to a couple of dozen others. Used to frustrate the hell out of me when we would take up about half a mile of road as most of them rode single file leaving a massive gap to the bike in front. Even on a dual carriageway fer Chriss sake. Pit stops could be a pain too with a large group. The tail end would still be waiting to receive their food while others have finished eating and are ready to move on.

I'm getting used to riding on my own and am starting to enjoy it more.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Streetgirl675

Streetgirl675 ...otherwise known as Streetgirl765

Dec 19, 2019
    Cheshire
    I either ride solo or with my hubby. We have ridden together for so long we just know what speed we will be doing and how we would each react in certain situations. I find riding with others I don’t know pretty frustrating. I enjoy the bends and love to hold a fast, steady constant speed to and through the corner, accelerating out the other side :grinning: I very seldom use brakes for bends. Many riders brake going into bends and it ruins my ride and rhythmo_O Selfish I know but you asked ;)

• Like Like x 7
  19. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I like riding on my own, at my own pace. That's sometimes spirited, or hooning, but can also be a bimble.

I liked last year's Scottish trip, as most seemed to be doing their own thing on the road, and I never felt held up or out of my depth.
    But that was an exception.

If all stays as it is with Covid-19 I'll be off on a tour of the French Alps for a week in three weeks time, on my own - the GMU and the Spanish trip fell through as a result of the virus. I'm going to enjoy that - riding by day and reading my book at night with a couple of beers.

• Like Like x 7
  20. David A Wright

David A Wright New Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Preston
    I used to ride very quickly, particularly when in Europe. My favourite is high speed long distance, once you get into that groove, where nothing else matters except the 1/2 mile in front of you. So solo was the normal practice for me. But I agree that once you stop its nice to share the experience.

• Like Like x 2