Featured Sold - Thruxton 1200 2016 - 16 Plate For Sale - Kent

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by Bunny, Jul 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    He has! I was very suprised you had it that long. Superb bike at a bargain price.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    I’m on holiday at mo, trying to think of excuses to tell my wife so we can go home early, patience is a virtue though:-/

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Where did you get the trim from?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    I sold my Ducati Monster 1200 on eBay in June, I was surprised to see it in CMC Cannock 2 weeks ago, it was sold, I asked the dealer what it had sold for “8500” he said “We got it from a car dealer that had taken it as trade in against a car”, I sold it in June for 6950 to a guy that swore he’d cherish it, I guess he moved it on so quickly cos it scared him, (that’s why I sold it btw!), anyway what a mark up!!, that’s why I will never ever buy a bike from a dealer!

• Like Like x 3
  5. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Yes some dealers take the piss a bit, often with crap service. Funnily enough I'm hoping to get a Monster in Jan/Feb next year, but an 821 though :D

Congratulations on the Thruxton!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    Thanks , yes I’m looking forward to riding it, I’ve ridden a T120 and liked that so expect the Thruxton to be even better, good choice on the 821, superb handling but without the over the top 1200 engine.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bunny

Bunny Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2018
    Kent
    Can't remember exactly, it's car door trim off ebay, cost about £4.

• Like Like x 1
  8. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    So how's the Thruxton? There's something about the non R I really like, and yours has some great upgrades.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    Really pleased with it Andy, I took it for a service because it hadn’t had one since 2017, not really a problem cos it had only done about 1500 miles since that 2017 service but it had missed the sidestand spring recall and a new map, anyway that was all done and no fault codes had been recorded, ( it’s not having another dealer service unless there are further recalls or new maps, I prefer doing my own servicing and resent paying £159 for what is little more than an oil change!)
    I’ve put the original single seat that Graham gave me back on (I find it more comfortable than the comfort seat :-/), and removed the rear foot pegs.
    I’ve added a Thruxton R tank strap because I like the look and it doubles as a tank protector,
    I really enjoy riding it, here’s my thoughts
    1. Nice amount of power/torque, not mentally quickly as my M1200 was but still more than fast enough for me.
    2. Engine very smooth, gets a little vibey higher up the rev range, but there’s no need to use the higher revs, it’s making max torque at 4950 revs, vib starts around 6.5k.
    3. Handles nicely, stable, little slow to turn in but nothing that a little counter steer doesn’t fix.
    4. Suspension is a bit basic, rear shocks are under damped but not to the degree that I’d want to change them (it’s not going on the track!), front suspension is OK, gives you a bit of a thump on sharp bumps but again not to the degree that I’ll bother changing it.
    5. It’s a tad heavy but that disappears as soon as you’re underway so not an issue.

Love the look of the bike, gets a lot of comments when I’m out and about, including pensioners telling me their old triumph had the same carbs! :), “erm, they are fake mate, it’s injected”.

All in all over the moon with it :)

Would I recommend the Thruxton 1200 to others, 100% yes

• Like Like x 4
  10. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    Fixed the slow turn in by fitting a Pirelli Diablo front tyre, (the original Michelin has a shallow profile and this slows down the “drop in”), definitely recommend Diablo’s at your next tyre change, or another sports profiled tyre.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    #31 Mark9, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    D02B36B6-606D-40EB-88D5-D68ACDD27672.jpeg I’ve had the bike a year now, currently on 7,200 miles, it’s been faultless, thanks again to Bunny, I’ve changed the silencers and fitted a leather seat cover, not felt the need to change anything else, these really are lovely machines, of the more than 50 bikes I’ve had over the years this has to be my favourite.

AE132CF0-6466-44A4-A2E4-9339FFC14F6C.jpeg
    PS the colour photo has the original silencers, added the photo by mistake, but not I can’t remove it!, oh well:)

• Like Like x 2
  12. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Couldn't agree more. I get tempted every now and then by something faster but doubt I would actually go any faster.

Mind you, a non biker stopped to talk to me about it the other day and asked if it was a 400cc!

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    025ED568-CBD3-4752-AB1B-07A66A4F808B.jpeg I just bought a Fireblade Tony, it’s definitely faster :), but do I use the extra performance?, of course not, to use it you need to be up the Rev range, if you’re up the Rev range you’re doing silly speeds in seconds!, so although I’m glad I’ve got the blade it doesn’t detract from the Thruxton at all, let’s face it they are not exactly slow!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Nice! which iteration of Blade is that? Your Thruxton looks spot on in that colour scheme, I have an R but completely get the appeal of this one. It just works. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    It’s a 1997 RRV, 919cc, I had an identical one years ago, so a nostalgia buy really.
    Yes I bought the Thruxton on it’s looks really, looks the part in white with gaitered forks etc, I’ve had plenty of old dodderers telling me they had one back in the day, they are all surprised when I tell them it’s 2016.

• Like Like x 2