Social Riding?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Kenbro, Mar 22, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Agreed sorry to hear you have have another op. Stay safe @Sandi T.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Sorry to hear that you need more surgery @Sandi T. Hope all goes well! :)
    Our government has told us that we are allowed out of our homes for infrequent essential shopping or to exercise once a day, which can include cycling. Fair enough if it's just a 20 minute jaunt round the block but it seems to have given the green light to the "lycra wanker" and road bike "bell end brigade". I wonder how many will end up in A & E? (That's ER for you sandi!) :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yep, saw a guy yesterday who’d fallen from his bike and gashed his arm, sat at the side of the road tending his wounds. o_O
    Stay safe folks if you’re going out on a treader :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Seems like them there treaders are more dangerous the motorised versions!
    Certainly used to be when we used to strap our feet in with those “Quick release” straps that you couldn’t quite get to when you were falling off!
    Happy days :confused:.
    Ken.
    PS. Don’t know if those fancy clips they use now are more interested in helping you in a fall?

5. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    A couple of years whilst riding my racing bike with the click in shoes, I got lost and ended up down a cul-de-sac. I couldn’t unclick the shoes in time and over I went. It’s a horrible feeling as you go down. Had a similar thing a couple of years back on my VStrom. Something @Tiglet @steve lovatt @Winglad can attest to. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Yes I can confirm that Nikki is pretty good a falling over at very very low speeds whilst on two wheels :(

As she knows it can be very painful :worried:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    I’ve had a lot of practice Dave. You could say I’m the forums expert
    I can definitely say that the VStrom falling on my leg was by far the worst :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    You did it with style though Nikki! :D:heart:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I'm not sure @BonnieCat you are in competition with Rich Bryce :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Tim L

Tim L Active Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Norn Iron
    Buggering off into the wild beyond in your RV sounds like the thing to do to be safe . With a bike as well sounds even better. Some foraging & hunting could mean you didn't have to come back to the madness for ages.

I have been working until yesterday, so I got to ride my bike twice daily . Then I have time off to build a patio - but may not be able to get the stuff required . And not allowed out on the bike!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Yes Waspy did sting you that afternoon ;):)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Nikki. I happen to like your style, too! :cool: Your walks sound very peaceful and grounding (no pun intended). What a bummer on not being able to use your RV. I do remember (I think) you posting a couple of photos of it when you got it. I'm feeling rather the same about my motorcycles right now. I haven't ridden since January 14th. Yep, I even remember the date and the bike--my Speed Triple. Today Mr Sandi backed all three out of the garage into the driveway, aired up the tires, and started them all. He even rode my Triumph around the two cul-de-sacs where we live. He will use any excuse to ride that particular bike of mine. ;):joy: I completely agree with you about wanting to hibernate and wake up when this dam virus is gone. I felt particularly uneasy and anxious today for some reason. But those feelings come and go thank God. Hang in there, Nikki. :heart:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @freck . I did a video consult with my surgeon last Thursday and he instructed me to call his office first thing tomorrow (Monday) morning to book an appointment with him for Tuesday. I should know more after that. He said that normally he'd order a nerve conduction test but that no one is doing them right now. So he will have to make a determination clinically whether I should wait or go ahead with the surgery now. If he's quite sure I'll need it and if I'm likely to have permanent damage then I'd rather have it now than to wait. Who the heck knows what will be going on in the next weeks?!

Thanks for good luck wishes...I truly appreciate them. I know that you really understand quite well what this is like based on your own experiences. I'm glad there wasn't a pandemic when you went through your ordeal!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Wessa! :heart:

15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #155 Sandi T, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Thanks, @steve lovatt! Yes, many of the cyclists around here seem the same. In fact, one nearly ran me down earlier today. I'm a cyclist too, but that group as a whole seems to have more than its fair share of wankers. And this crisis seems to bring out the worst in wankers, doesn't it now?

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Well as you can see I’m not asleep. These days I hardly sleep, it’s a damn nuisance, but I have my trusty iPad to entertain me.
    That must’ve been so frustrating to see hubby starting up your bike and taking it out for a spin. But try to be patient and get yourself fit (easier said than done I know). When I was 18 and riding home from work on my 2 stroke Yamaha 250 a guy pulled out of a side road and I hit him and rolled over the bonnet (hood?). That crash broke my wrist and I ended up with a plaster cast on for 10 weeks, so I know how frustrating it is. But you’ll get there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the moral support and empathy, Nikki. It truly does help! :heart: I know my current woes pale in comparison to those of many, many others these days. I'm trying to remember your words--"you'll get there". Thank you! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  18. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    RV, foraging and hunting seems perfect, and not just at times like these! What’s not to like?
    Ken.

• Like Like x 1