Social Riding?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Kenbro, Mar 22, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    As always confusion. Until the government locks it down you are going to see people going out and about, and even after that decision has been taken they still will :skull::skull:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    That’s a good point, and I applaud anyone who chooses to self isolate to protect themselves and their loved ones.
    I unfortunately cannot currently isolate myself as my job involves supporting national defence so I can only follow the guidelines, obviously until such time that I may be forced into isolation if I fall ill.

• Like Like x 2
  3. fzr162

fzr162 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Keighley west yorkSHIRE
    If I go out for a short ride being extra careful the risk of me using the NHS is minimal. Given that in the past I have suffered with depression locking me away for 3 months will probably be a much bigger risk of me using the NHS.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. fzr162

fzr162 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Keighley west yorkSHIRE
    If I go out for a short ride being extra careful the risk of me using the NHS is minimal. Given that in the past I have suffered with depression locking me away for 3 months will probably be a much bigger risk of me using the NHS.

5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    No, just a crashing bore and your conscience is starting to prick!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    And what has that got to do with going for a solitary ride, where you have ZERO contact with anyone else? :rolleyes:

Like I suggested previously, you could potentially have more contact with others by actually staying at home.

I went for a ride today and thoughly enjoyed myself :), I filled up with petrol wearing gloves, paid at the pump, I had absolutely no contact with anyone else. And washed my hands thoroughly on my return ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I'll also add, that for the last 15 years I've worked from home, so I'm not joking when I say I really do need to get out of the house, and what better way in the current situation than on a motorcycle in solitude :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

No I wouldn’t because of what’s happening :confused:
    In theory I could like others be self isolated on my bike and could go out without stopping and do about 150miles:)
    But I haven’t :)
    I want to :sob:
    But I won’t :(

• Like Like x 2
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    By which you acknowledge there is a contact risk but there is no risk. Nah, you’ve lost me.......

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Sorry what?

I said it twice... "ZERO contact" and "I had absolutely no contact with anyone else" :rolleyes:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  12. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

You do not NEED to get out of the house :(
    You WANT to :confused:
    It’s good that you say you had no contact with anyone :)
    But if you had an accident then you would have contact with other people if another vehicle was involved :skull:
    Contact with the police dealing with it :skull:
    Paramedics :skull:
    Ambulance staff :skull:
    Air ambulance?:skull:
    A&E:skull:
    Doctors and nurses:skull:
    Other patients who are probably there for something more serious than your NEED to get out :mad::skull:
    Something like Coronavirus :eek::skull:
    Stay in mate and stay safe :p

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Yes I wanted to get out of the house, and yes should I have an accident then yes there is an impact on emergency service etc. But I am a responsible adult, with some common sense, and I ride with care.

So I assume everyone who is criticising and being judgmental, are all conducting themselves in a manner above reproach and are all living risk free and totally healthy lives, giving up all unheathly vices like drinking and smoking so that they do not potentially make a burden on the health and emergercy services?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    And that’s the problem with woolly advice. A contact risk is the tiny speck of viral spit you sat on to carefully eat the ice cream you bought or when you moved your gloves when you self fuelled, that you transfer to your seat then your hand when you park up back home and leave on the door handle...... you don’t need someone to cough on you. Just someone passing within a few hours previously.

And I am NOT being judgmental. Just pointing out the bug is much like a nerve agent.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I’m sure you are a responsible adult :confused:
    But the accident scenario I used involved another vehicle :eek:
    Something you have no control over :poop:
    I have a drink in my hand right now :yum
    I will not require an ambulance :p

16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    This is getting serious. I am accusing Dilli of being sensible.

• Funny Funny x 6
  17. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    You are however being very preachy ;)

I am aware of how the virus can be transmitted, and as I stated previously the risk of exposure is less than going to a shop.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Well said Cal. This article shows it all too clearly.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/the-story-of-a-coronavirus-infection.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Intelligencer - March 21, 2020&utm_term=Subscription List - Daily Intelligencer (1 Year)

• Like Like x 1
  20. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    But it isn’t zero. And it isn’t just a risk to you either. If this was bubonic plague would you be doing this? If it was smallpox would you be doing this? If it was Ebola would you be doing this?
    If it was your daughter or granddaughter who had even a 1% chance of dying as a consequence would you be doing this?

So why are you doing this?

• Agree Agree x 1