Featured So Called Long Haul Screen

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Chainbiter, Aug 22, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chainbiter

Chainbiter Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2021
    North Yorkshire
    Triumph's so called "Long Haul Windscreen" for the Bonnie, hmmph !

Well I'd just had enough of it, enough I say, because it was terrible and the only place I wanted to haul it was the dustbin. Glad it came with the bike and I didn't buy it afterwards.

I'm 5'9 ish so average ish height but the buffeting I got from that screen was that bad that I could barely read a road sign at 70mph so I decided to do something about it.

I didn't feel like attacking it myself so I got a nice fellow called Martin from Bay Plastics to attack it for me.

https://www.bayplastics.co.uk

And what a cracking job he did too.

After using some top secret experimention techniques to determine the best height and width for my height and sack of taters riding position I knew what I wanted, (ok, read silly arse taped bits of cardboard to the front of the bike and rode round the block a few times). I then handed the screen over to Martin and hoped it didn't crack while it was being cut.

What I got back was perfect, high enough to flick the wind off my chest but low enough to leave my head in clean air so no buffeting. Plus the finishing they put on the edges was better than Triumph had managed when they made it.

Cost me 50 quid but buying another screen would have cost me more so I'm well happy.

Some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

Brilliant piece of kit. I'd be interested in a field review after you take it out through the paces in some rougher weather.

3. Chainbiter

Aug 6, 2021
    North Yorkshire
    Oh I know what will happen in rough weather, I'll get wet !

But the screen as it originally was didn't keep me dry either. Should be better in a crosswind though.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

By it's sheer design there's no way that thing's keeping you dry. I was referring more to being tucked up and giving it spurs dealing with rain spray coming off trucks, heavy pelting rain, sand/dust, bugs, etc.

I've had faringed-out cruiser riders tell me all that blingy sheilding keeps them dry as a bone all day long. I call BS, You ride in anything heavier than a sprinkle for any length of time on pretty much any bike configuration, you're getting wet. The only thing that can save you from being soaked to the undies is personal rain gear.

5. MEM62

MEM62 Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2020
    Basingstoke, Hampshire

On my 1200RT, I only got wet when I stopped moving forwards :)

6. Chainbiter

Aug 6, 2021
    North Yorkshire
    The only thing that kept me reasonably dry was the rather nutty Gilera Fuoco three wheel scooter I bought after another round of surgury a few years ago.

Two front wheels, leant like bike but front suspension could be locked below 6 mph which meant I didn't have to take the weight of it which was a good thing as I'd been unzipped from sternum to groin.

Feet, legs and midriff would stay dry but shoulders, arms and gloves would still get soggy.

My Pan Euro 1300 would keep me drier than most bikes but after prolonged riding in torrential rain you still got wet.

Being in the UK I don't have to deal with sand, but spray from trucks will get you anyway because the air is so full of moisture. I'll head for the back roads where there's no trucks in that circumstance.

Being retired means I ride purely for pleasure, if its chucking it down the bike stays in the garage and I'll go sulk with a sandwich and do something else.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I would bin or sell the screen,you'll find it's a lot quieter and more comfortable without any screen

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Chainbiter

Aug 6, 2021
    North Yorkshire
    Been riding for over forty years, sometimes use screens and sometimes don't.

But, more comfortable without any screen ?

Hogwash !

Get the screen right and it's both quiet and comfortable, get the screen wrong and your on a hiding to nowhere.

Your GS1250 has a screen ;)

9. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I took the original screen of my GS as i couldn't bear the noise and all it did was deflect all the wind onto my crash helmet like other screens I've had on bikes! i fitted a small sports one, more for looks than anything else. the only screen i found that "worked" was the one i got with a 2nd hand Harley, it was huge and because i didn't feel any wind it felt like i was in a car! so that got taken off after the first ride. imo it also looked horrendous, but each to their own i guess

10. Chainbiter

Aug 6, 2021
    North Yorkshire
    A general but not gospel rule of thumb is that the top of the screen should be below your nip nops or above the tip of your shnozz.

Don't go for wide screens or the air will come under the sides of the screen and react with the air coming over the top causing buffeting.

Your riding position and even the crash helmet you wear can make a difference so it can be a long winded arse about to get the right screen for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Michael McDonough

Aug 13, 2020
    Windsor, CA.
    Put lower race bars and set back pegs will lower head profile so you don't get drenched.

12. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    that's the best looking screen ive seen on a Bonney

• Like Like x 1
  13. MPTriumph

MPTriumph Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2021
    Commiefornia, USA
    Yeah! I really like that...I have a larger screen that I used briefly but had the same problem. I might try to find a plastic fabrication company here in California and see if they can do anything. Otherwise it just sits in a box in the garage.

14. Michael McDonough

Aug 13, 2020
    Windsor, CA.
    Triumph used to make an OEM "Summer Shield" as opposed to the long haul option, but was discontinued. A lot of OEM gear was shelved due to COVID.