Rocket Smoking New Rocket 3r

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Dobbo, Mar 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I’m tired :sleeping::zzz:

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Apologies to @Dobbo for slightly hijacking your thread mate, please let us all know what becomes of the over oiling cock up once picked up and sorted to your full satisfaction :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    @Dobbo Sorry I came to this late, but yes, my first thought was oil, and it's great you've confirmed that, I've not had any issues with this myself ... but maybe I'll go check my oil level :-/

Blue smoke - burning oil (bad)
    Black smoke - fuel in exhaust (bad)
    White smoke - steam (expected)

That's really shocking they'd overfill it so much, it won't go anywhere to assuaging your concerns, but after so few miles, I'd imagine there won't have been any damage. But if it was me, I'd certainly be disinclined to take the dealer's word on that!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    That's a shocker for an established dealership, sounds like they got the teaboy to fill the oil, probably to the brim. :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    In some cases the tea boy maybe better skilled.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dobbo

Dobbo Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Cornwall UK
    **** Update *****
    I contacted Triumph UK and sent them videos and photo in order to have “it noted” what had apparently happened to my bike and make them aware in case this was sent out from the factory overfilled.
    My dealer collected bike yesterday.
    Triumph UK emailed to acknowledge me informing them but assuring me that no damage was likely caused. They said the bikes are filled with precisely - machine dispensed amount of oil at the factory but would investigate with the dealer.
    Dealer rang me later in the day. It had been considerably overfilled - by a technician - who also hadn’t set up my TPMS properly. (another minor issue I had reported when the bike went back) They said they have “dealt with” him.
    They have adjusted the level down and will re check this morning with the full oil check process from stone cold - which apparently is critical to get accurate reading. Then road test and if all ok return bike this afternoon. so fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Lets hope its fixed and the weather stays fine for you.
    Alfie

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good to hear that you have a positive outcome from the dealer. I would ask them to complete your next service for free given the stress caused

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    PDI = Pre Delivery Inspection......... That's a joke right??:eek::p:D:D
    Just a stealers way of adding £££'s to the initial bill

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dobbo

Dobbo Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Cornwall UK
    ***I forgot to add***
    I have asked for something in writing to acknowledge the overfilling problem and how it was rectified. So i have something documented should I have any future engine issues - that could be somehow related - especially out of warranty period. They will provide this and my dealer has already offered me a free 1st Service ( which i think is worth a fair bit?) and a T shirt.

I think they have been very good really - doing everything to explain, reassure and get it dealt with quickly. I just hope it’s ok on the road test this morning.

The key thing with checking the oil is that it must be completely cold, on the side stand - then start and idle for 90s then off,and leave for 3 mins before checking.

My other Triumphs have both needed to have been checked when fully warm and then switch off, wait and then check when bike is level - But the Rocket 3 has a dry sump set up hence the very different check process.

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    Good news Dobbo, The Dealer seems to have been quite concerned about the cock up, and dealt with it quickly, I think they've handled it well. The last thing they need is bad publicity on an International Triumph forum, and getting it in writing gives you a bit of a guarantee. Plus a free service and a T-shirt, is a nice gesture for your trouble. I hope it was a R3 T-shirt. Hope it all runs smoothly from now on. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    If it is a dry sump motor , there is little likely hood of engine damage , the crank can't hit sump oil as it's not present ! But not knowing how the oil tank and pump system operates , can't say if filtration system and oil line's aren't compromised .

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dobbo

Dobbo Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Cornwall UK
    *** Update ***
    My Rocket was delivered back to me yesterday morning - all sorted, fully valeted and looking superb. I rode about 150 miles yesterday as I resumed my running in and getting myself used to the bike. I loved every minute - it is a truly amazing machine (and no sign of any smoke at all).
    Plymouth Triumph have really gone the extra mile to get it sorted quickly and do everything they can for me. They liaised with Triumph UK to check and double check everything. They will provide something in writing to acknowledge what happened and what was done to sort it.
    So I am happy it’s sorted and am back on track enjoying my Rocket 3 ownership!

• Like Like x 14
  14. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    That's great news Dobbo, Hold out for the what they done in writing bit, just for peace of mind mate.
    Well done to all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

That’s brilliant @Dobbo :grinning:
    It’s a fantastic bike :cool:
    I can’t wait to get back out on mine :imp:

• Like Like x 3
  16. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    Well in Dobbo, Glad Plymouth Triumph came good. Their reputation is back in tact.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    You are so mean @littleade

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    I just had my first service done on the TFC, they had it from 11:30 on Friday, but then called and said they wanted it overnight. They made reference to checking the oil and the procedure being very different to other bikes, so they want it to cool down and follow the procedure to the letter in the morning.

When I picked it up, I meant (but unfortunately forgot) to ask whether or not the 'extra care' they were taking was due to some ... 'mishap' that may have happened on a Rocket somewhere else in the country.

I do presume that following your experience, Triumph has sent out a notice to all dealers to RTFM with the new Rockets in relation to oil :laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Daytonastar

Daytonastar New Member

May 4, 2019
    London
    Was that at Romford? I need to get mine done as well, I was wondering if they would do it while I waited but doesn’t sound likely then.

20. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Agree mate it's not "rocket" science is it. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2