Smart Turn System On A 2019 Bonneville T120 - Which Wires To Cut?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Glen Wamphray, Apr 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Glen Wamphray

Glen Wamphray Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Scotland
    I'm using some of my time in lockdown to install a Smart Turn System on my 2019 Bonneville T120. It should be a relatively straightforward process of cutting a wire or six and installing a box of tricks between the switch and the indicators. Me and electricity aren't the best of friends, so I'm a little nervous about paying serious money for a nice bike, then taking a pair of pliers to the wiring loom.

The instructions say to cut the 'flasher signal wire' but there doesn't appear to be a flasher relay from which to work out the correct wire to cut. I guess the relay is part of the ECU.

I know from the Haynes wiring diagram that the left and right flashers are the green/white and green/red wires but I don't know what serves as the flasher relay wire. Anyone got any ideas?

And if anyone has done this to a new model T120, I'd be interested to know at what point they cut into the wiring. I'm planning to make the connection in the headlamp bowl, and run the wires back down the loom to place the ST2 unit on top of the rear master cylinder. Or is there a better way to do it?

Attached are
    1. the TS2 Instruction sheet
    2. image of the relevant wiring (I think) behind the headlamp
    3. T120 wiring diagram

Any help would be appreciated.

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 15.09.41.jpg

IMG_1507.JPG

Post 2016 T120 Wiring Diagram.JPG

2. Glen Wamphray

Glen Wamphray Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Scotland
    Wow! I've made those images a little large (sorry) - but the wiring diagram is a lot easier to read. They should always be that size!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Glen Wamphray

Glen Wamphray Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Scotland
    In case it helps anyone coming after, I found the answer in an instructional posting elsewhere on the internet. It's a good guide to the whole job, and makes useful suggestions about placement and cable routing.

http://www.mylostinterest.com/sts-pg1.html

• Like Like x 5