Small Problems To Overcome, But Sure We Will.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Malcolm Woods, Oct 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Malcolm Woods

Malcolm Woods Noble Member

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Hello all again, had the T100, 8,000mls for a month or so now, small niggley little things sure you have all encounterd,
    Have to say the clocks although very nice seems a bit insecure on there mount, when hot , engaging 1st gear clunks in (is that serious. ???) difficult to check the oil level on my own as have to be of the centre stand, cannot hold the bike straight and check the oil. But she rides great and I love it. please someone tell me the 1st gear clunks in at the traffic lights is ok.
    thanks everybody
    mallywoods

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Malcolm Woods.
    No not right. After running it should slip through sweetly. Start-up if I hold my 865 a minute again it just slips in. My 2018 900 hold it for ages and that initial gear will still clunk but that's it sweet after that. You need to make sure you haven't got sticking plates in the clutch.
    Regards
    Joe.

3. Malcolm Woods

Malcolm Woods Noble Member

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Thanks for that Dozers Dad, I think all the bikes I've had in the past clunk in 1st from neutral, but the idea with a mirror, simple , but I didn't think of that, will sort that tomorrow. Thank You
    mallywoods

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    I have a small mirror on a telescoping shaft, avail at most Auto parts shops

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The curious clunk......

Is a normal feature of multiplate wet clutches. Even correctly adjusted there is drag from the oil film in the plates and most noticeably when cold. Oil ‘attraction’ (my word!) is why some manual car boxes specify lubrication with an auto transmission fluid - its physical properties employ the same slight drag to help synchromesh gears engage.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I check my oil by sitting on the bike to keep it upright then reach down with my phone and take a picture of the sight glass. :grinning: Works perfectly.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    I use my phone now for all sorts of stuff, including tiny text or part numbers and them zoom in. Or to see what's going on in a hard to see location, thanks freck for the reboot.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    1st gear clunk is normal. Has done that on every bike I have ever owned. It's because of the way the gears move, when you pass through neutral.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1