Slow Development Of Speed Triple Rs Accessories?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Fitz Brundage, Oct 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    I have enjoyed mt Speed Triple RS since I received it in May. I have swapped out the turn indicators, added an Evotech tail tidy (which is a work of engineering art) and, most recently, Barkbuster hand guards (since I ride through the winter). But I have been frustrated by the slow appearance of aftermarket exhausts and other accessories. I recognize that I was spoiled by the range of accessories that were available for my previous bike, a Yamaha MT-09. I am now wondering whether the comparatively small market for 2018+ Speed Triple accessories is discouraging some manufacturers from even bothering to develop products. (The Street Triple is a different story.) For example, why hasn't Arrow offered a new Three-into-One exhaust for the Speed Triple? In any case, I'm just wondering whether you long-time Triumph hands have any sense of the likelihood of more exhausts, etc., appearing in the near-term.

2. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Hi fitz

I look on eBay every day for new parts etc, sp offer a range of exhausts 3-1 at a cheap price, for just the link pipe and can.
    AR also have brought out a range single cans........ but very pricey.
    Hope this helps.

3. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    I’m the same. Looking for shorty levers but no one does them. I snapped my clutch lever last week and wanted shortys anyway but looks like I’ll have to get a genuine long one

4. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Same here I wanted engine protection but am worried that some of the 100+ improvements may make it slightly different to the 2016 model. Its a popular bike with good press so hopefully they will come through soon, or the suppliers can confirm which 2016 parts fit the 2018 model.... I don't think you can easily replace the front brake lever with aftermarket due to the adjuster....

5. Badkarma

Badkarma Member

May 15, 2018
    Kansas City, KS USA
    I've been looking at these, https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Triumph/Speed_Triple_R/2018/ECS0021BK/ I think someone on here swapped them over from a previous bike so I'm fairly certain that they fit.

6. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    #8 Richard Neale, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Nice looking can ! I assume this would affect warranty? Are you getting the bike dyno tuned to suit? Dumping the twin cans is high on my list but thought I best wait til warranty finished .. (especially with all the RS issues..) can you get new headers too ? I read somewhere that the CAT in the RS is in the headers so a new link pipe/can does not remove cat like my old S3 did.. ??

9. Spspeed

Spspeed Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Michigan
    I'll second on the R&G engine protection sliders - I bought and installed those and they do fit.

10. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #10 MrTriple, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    You raise some good questions Richard...

Let's start with RS issues; I'm aware of screeching front brakes, troublesome switchgear, sticky clutch levers, my own brake lever was replaced (stuck modulation adjuster) and there have been saggy dipstick o-rings that cause a slight leak. There may be other faults that I haven't picked up, but in my view, nothing serious, or in any way related to engine performance. So unless there's other stuff...it appears to apply to peripheral parts.

Fitting a slip-on cat-back can is by no means an extreme modification. I've checked with my dealer and as far as they are concerned, the overall bike warranty isn't compromised in any way...and problems like the 'RS issues' we've mentioned, remain fully covered. If the engine blew up and I pitched up with an aftermarket can, then maybe there's an issue - but they helpfully advised keeping the original exhaust in case it's needed, which doesn't need much reading between the lines to understand why.

I've been advised to see how it runs, but I'll consider a trip to Hilltop, as I hear that it's a worthwhile exercise regardless.

For comparison, my son has an AR cat-back can on his Daytona 675R which has caused no issue with the dealer and has a piggy-back remap (can't remember which one). He also has an AR de-cat system on his MT-10, and again, the Yamaha dealer shows no concern, has replaced other parts under warranty, and suggested seeing how it ran, before considering remap options.

No one makes headers for the 2018 Speed (yet) - AR told me that they'd considered it, but the price would be in the region of £2,500+ and they didn't feel there would be demand. For clarity, you can't fit 2016 Lowboy headers to the 2018 bikes, as they're a different diameter.

As far as I can see, the cat is in exactly the same place as it always was on the 2018 Speed - right behind the heat shield. The short link pipe on the AR attaches to the pipe exiting the cat, and it has a bracket that bolts to the lower mounting point at the bottom of the frame. This is enough to support it, without a further bracket half way up - so it's a nice clean look, but still very solid.

Finally, if anyone has had severe issues with their RS that I've glossed over...I apologise!

11. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    That is very interesting Mr Triple ! I did contact Hilltop a while back and they said they could improve the set-up on the 2018 bike but without a full system not to expect more peak power. TBH a better torque spread is always welcome! I guess there is always the option to swap back the original exhaust if the engine has an issue. I already rasied the issue with dealer that my heaters are VERY discoloured though heat and it seemed to be running hot. Hopefully a Hiltop tune would richen it a little. I do like thos AR Pipes !!

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I guess it all depends how you run the bike...I'm 'mechanically sympathetic' and don't do high mileage or track days, so it won't be subjected to any hard labour or stresses. I'll do the 'reset adaption' to adjust the ECU and generally play it carefully. The dealer seems very keen to see it fitted, so I'll get their view once it's on too.

If it's lumpy, flat or stinks badly of petrol, I'll be on the phone to Hilltop o_O

13. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    HI I can't find that combination on the AR site on the link. Where is that picture form . I like the Titanium laser etched with black end and sensible length can.

14. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    I am mechanically sympathetic, always fully warm and long trips but occasionally I like to use full throttle though the first few gears ...

• Like Like x 1
  15. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I photoshopped the picture myself, because that's the combo that I fancied, but they didn't have an image on their site ;)

Choosing is the hardest part!

The laser etching is much more prominent in reality - there are plenty of similar pics on their instagram page.

16. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Who doesn't like to use full throttle! By mechanically sympathetic, I mean I keep an eye in the mirrors for bits of cog bouncing down the road :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    OK,, great ! I will take look,

Thanks for your quick responses !

• Like Like x 1
  18. Leigh O'Sullivan

Sep 3, 2018
    Oxford
    My 2018 keeps cutting out or going into limp mode when I go near 8000 revs the bike limits power instantly then stalls. I start the bike up run it to 8000 and it does it again??? Anyone got any ideas

19. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Hi Leigh
    Is your bike fully run In or still in running in mode?
    I've never experienced this, maybe a trip to your dealer is on the cards.

20. Leigh O'Sullivan

Sep 3, 2018
    Oxford
    Fully run in its something electrical very strange. Going to the dealer on the 23 I’ll keep you posted!

• Like Like x 1