Sky Scam!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Tricky-Dicky, Jun 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Just a heads up i just received an email claiming to be from sky telling me that my DD has not gone though so be aware.!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I guess it make a change from " my name is Joe blog's and i have a fantastic business opportunity" or the old African prince who want to give you money.;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Sky themselves are crooks as far I'm concerned. Got fed up with them constantly putting prices up and binned them for FreeSat instead. I miss the Discovery and NatGeo channels a bit but not enough to keep lining Rupert Murdoch's pockets.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Streetgirl675

Streetgirl675 ...otherwise known as Streetgirl765

Dec 19, 2019
    Cheshire
    I get these type of emails all the time. Ranging from Sky, Paypal, HMRC, Amazon Prime etc. First check I do is look at the email address it is coming from as that is a dead give away. If it looks possibly correct I close the email and go onto the website myself, not through a link, and check there. 99% of the time its a scam and there is nothing wrong with the account. Remember to ALWAYS check the email address it comes from and NEVER click a link.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Got one from “Santander Bank” today. Wanted details confirming.
    I’m not with Santander.
    Ken.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Agreed, their prices are ridiculous IMO.

A tip for anyone who has a Sky NowTV Entertainment subscription, go online and cancel it. They will ask you about 3 or 4 times if you want to cancel it, and also ask you why, select the option for too expensive, then they will offer you a reduced price in order for you to stay. I did this a few months ago, and they reduced it from £9 per month to just £1.30 p/m for 3 months... then just before the end of the 3 months, I got an email from Sky to inform me that they had extended this for another 6 months, so 9 months at just £1.30 a month :) However when that expires I'll then cancel it, unless of course they reduce it again :D

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    A different one I received this last week was a text allegedly coming from Currys ( for our overseas friends this is a large electrical store chain and on line retailer) telling me my customer ID number had won a prize in their monthly draw asking me to click a link on my mobile. Oh no I didn't!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Years and years ago when the internet and email were fairly new I got an email at work from some African guy with the old scam "I've got millions but I need £500 off you to get access to the money, send me the £500 and I'll send you £10,000". I kept him on the leash for a couple of months trying to get some money out of him. Tight b'stard didn't send me a penny and eventually he gave up on me.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I had one from HMRC saying I need to claim my tax over payment within 7 days
    The email addressed me using my email as my name!
    Also, they don't own me any refund and if they did, it would be done through my PAYE code.

Another for the bin

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes I got caught. Couple of weeks I took my bike for a service at Bulldog. I got a call from my better half saying what card are you using to pay for the service. I told her my Halifax she said don't bother you account has be emptied other than five pounds. She had to pay for me over the phone. Now the only people I had used for a couple of weeks before that was amazon. Halifax were great and I had the money returned within a couple of hours. All the money was syphoned of by some games company over a 24 hour period in dribs and dabs. Dozers Dad
    I won't be able to help either sorry.
    Regards
    Joe.

• WTF WTF x 1
  11. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    :laughing:

Just received this from Sky...

Capture.PNG

So all in I will have had a NowTV entertainment pass for 15 months at a fraction of the normal price. By my crude maths it will have cost me roughly £29 for 15 months instead of over £140 :D

• Like Like x 5