Skid Lids

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Volksrat, Apr 29, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Abcght100

Abcght100 Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Norfolk
    I also have an X-lite carbon fibre helmet, the one with the union Jack on the sides. Fantastically light and comfortable the only downside is the noise I now have to use ear plugs which is a first but for some strange reason I seem to ride better with them in.

2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I've always worn earplugs and your'e right you do seem to ride better with them ,everything seems so much smoother,on the odd occasion I've not had earplugs in my riding is not near as smooth

3. Abcght100

Abcght100 Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Norfolk
    Totally agree I couldn't believe the difference it made.

4. dan1050triple

dan1050triple Member

May 31, 2016
    wirral
    there is a few models you know they look the same but the vents on the front are not the same what model do you have guys ? i found mine fine no noise

5. Abcght100

Abcght100 Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Norfolk
    I believe mine is the x802r model.

6. dan1050triple

dan1050triple Member

May 31, 2016
    wirral
    mine is x802,rr

7. Abcght100

Abcght100 Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Norfolk
    DSC_0106.JPG DSC_0106.JPG DSC_0106.JPG Well this is a first for me putting a picture of my helmet online but here it is in all its glory.;-)

• Like Like x 2
  8. dan1050triple

dan1050triple Member

May 31, 2016
    wirral
    yes is a r and and rr mine is a rr

9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  10. Abcght100

Abcght100 Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Norfolk
    I always think it's best to try on the lid you like before you buy just in case it doesn't suit you and if it does then try to find it cheaper online. I always liked the look of one particular caberg lid but when I tried it on it was awful so I was glad I hadn't just ordered it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. james.e.avery

james.e.avery New Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Cambridge
    I've always had a lot of wind whistling in my ears with Shoei helmets (XR1000 and XR1100)

If you're still after a quiet lid, try the Bell M6 Carbon, I recently got one and there is no wind noise whatsoever when it is fully closed and sealed. :)

12. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    That Bell carbon is a nice looking lid,just out of curiosity i checked out some other carbon lids..for the millionares on here there is the Aria RX-7 RC, sportsbikeshop have them on special offer were £2499 now £2249 :eek: ..better get my skates on before they are all sold out!!

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/63110

or they have the AGV pista gp project 46 at a bargain £899! still to steep for me :(

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1592

13. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i'd never heard of mt helmets before, but they seem to tick all the boxes at a very good price

14. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Hay Dougie check out this

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Before I saw this I would only buy a big name. After I read this, I was surprised how many big name helmets didn t make it, and how well some of the cheap lids did. This is my bench mark now.If it does not score a 5 on here why bother. independent government testing.
    What is also interesting is how some models do well and the next does nt

• Like Like x 3
  15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi JTD, I've never heard of this site before but it seems to take a very common sense approach to an important issue.

The results were VERY interesting too, with many cheaper helmets scoring remarkably well against models costing upwards of £500.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Good site - well spotted!

17. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Hi JTD like the big lad I'd never heard of sharp, since it is is the official government testing it seems strange that it is not promoted more and why are all helmets sold in the UK not forced to have this rating on them?. i have always bought a helmet that had the ACU gold sticker as i had assumed that meant it was the best quality you can get, and "supposedly" in the UK you are not allowed on any race track unless you have that sticker on your helmet,but after reading through the sharp web site which is very interesting and seeing that a £30 lid from Halfords has a higher rating than a lot of the well known makes including ARIA & SHOEI seems unbelievable o_O, but if that's what the tests show then have we all been getting severely ripped off by helmet manufacturers? :eek: :eek::eek: what i did find surprising was that there doesn't seem to be any mention anywhere on the web about what thickness the EPS (expanded polystyrene foam) has to be, surely that is every bit as important as the strength of the outer shell, as it is the foam that absorbs the energy in a crash.

• Like Like x 1
  18. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I stopped looking at this site cos all my helmets which I thought were good got a poor rating and it was making me nervous!:p I will go by it when I come to buy new.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I think a lot of the big guys built to the kite mark, and no further, this allowed them to concentrate on other aspects comfort, noise,etc. The annoying thing is I bought my lid then found out about Sharp ( like Crispey).

this is from the site its self;-

SHARP came into being in 2007, after the Department for Transport found real differences in the safety performance of motorcycle helmets available in the UK. While all helmets have to meet minimum safety standards, research showed that up to 50 lives could be saved each year if motorcyclists wore the safest helmets available to them.

That’s why SHARP is here.

Taking the best bits from current standards around the world, SHARP raises the bar – putting motorcycle helmets through a more rigorous and targeted testing process.