Scrambler Simple Street Scrambler Question(s)

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by 3S1, Feb 26, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 3S1

3S1 Well-Known Member

Hello all, bit of a newbie here, but I have owned a gaggle of other bikes.

Im looking to buy a Street Scrambler, but Im wondering what the difference is between a 2018 and a 2019. I know that some major changes occurred around 2018... but which years would encompass the current model?

As always, TIA for your comments and suggestions.

2. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I had an 18 plate and traded it in for the upgraded version which is a 19 plate, but couldn’t be more precise on the actual status of a bike just based on its plate as some pre upgrades will doubtless have been sitting around in a showroom and poss end up on a 19 plate. The difference between the two is quite noticeable particularly the higher power which gives the boost just at the right revs, and the much better front brake. Can’t say I noticed the suspension upgrade. Certainly I would recommend the new SS over the initial version, but obviously check which it is before buying.. I seem to remember some cosmetic change on the speedo housing but don’t recall the original.. prob someone will be able to say which engine/ chassis numbers correspond to each version. Great bike, still got mine with no thought to change

3. TriumphalArch

TriumphalArch Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2021
    USA
    I believe you touched on the major differences- i.e. engine and front brake upgrade which are both significant. I have a 2020 SS which is the same as the ‘19.

4. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    The easiest way to tell whether the bike you are looking at is that one of the upgrades for 2019 was that the front brake was changed from a Nissin 2 piston calliper to a Brembo 4 piston calliper. That was in addition to a 10bhp increase in power.

5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
  6. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    I’ve ridden both, do yourself a big favour and get the later version, the 2018 feels as though a rev limiter has come on just as it starts to pull well, it’s actually the cam that is causing this, Triumph designed it this way to keep the power down so that there was a distinct power differential with their other models, as a result I found that engine very underwhelming!, when I rode the 2019 65PS model the new cam had completely resolved this, it pulls cleanly through the revs, far more enjoyable to ride.

• Like Like x 1