Simple Sat Nav For Non Tech Rider

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by curly, Jun 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bikerkate

Bikerkate New Member

Jun 19, 2018
    London, UK
    #21 Bikerkate, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    I don't think it needs phone signal for the route...once I had to use it and I didn't even have a SIM card in my phone and somehow or other it still worked.

Re. speed I'm hoping that it will be ok. I think that they're going to develop some special software for the motorbike version so will see!

• Like Like x 1
  2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yeah downside is it relies on a phone signal and the app on the phone. Interested to see what the bike ones like though.

3. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    :p[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    My Royal Enfield was slow enough for that to have been of some use! :cool::cool:

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Update, bought a Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S, I felt it seemed more intuitive than the price comparable Tom Tom.
    The unit has been wired into the bike and I have registered and updated the device.
    The maps / software update was done by wi-fi and took about 4 hours!
    This was something of a surprise as the unit boasts that it is ready to use on opening?
    I will be settling for visual display only and not using the bluetooth gubbins.
    I will have a look at using it today and see how I get on.
    I'll still have my trusty maps and scribbled notes of name places / road numbers though when in Spain next week!

Curly

• Like Like x 6
  6. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    You'll get used to it very quickly, I'm sure! Have fun in Spain!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well done! Just make sure it’s mounted high-ish so you don’t have to take your eyes too far off the road to look at it

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

@curly Get yourself on my route app .com, and plan your routes then send to the unit. Takes a couple of hours to learn, but worth it. If you get stuck, I'm happy to help you out.
    Ask to join the Triumph Forum group on the site. Loads of routes available from all of us.

On my Garmin, I put the routes in with lots of waypoints, then once on the unit, tell it to skip them, then it converts into one single route and not into lots of steps.

• Like Like x 1
  9. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Update, bought a Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S, I felt it seemed more intuitive than the price comparable Tom Tom.
    The unit has been wired into the bike and I have registered and updated the device.
    The maps / software update was done by wi-fi and took about 4 hours!
    This was something of a surprise as the unit boasts that it is ready to use on opening?
    I will be settling for visual display only and not using the bluetooth gubbins.
    I will have a look at using it today and see how I get on.
    I'll still have my trusty maps and scribbled notes of name places / road numbers though when in Spain next week!

Curly

10. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Thanks Mr O, to be honest most of what you've said has gone straight over the top of my head, this stuff is all virgin territory to me and my computer skills are extremely limited.
    Just had a load of unexpected work come my way so going out on the bike is not happening today now as planned.
    I will have a look at your route app as I really want to try to input some routes prior to arriving in Spain but as yet clueless as to how to do it, hopefully tonight when I have a look things will be a bit clearer.
    Curly

• Like Like x 1
  11. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Something I learnt on my last little jaunt into Scotland, if trying to plan a route on your satnav it’s a hell of a lot easier and quicker to use it in conjunction with a road atlas!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. HughJarse

HughJarse Well-Known Member

May 8, 2017
    The sat nav question will go on forever. I've owned a few over the years, fairly decent ones at that ... Garmin/TomTom/Becker, all with bluetooth, EU maps etc. etc. They're fine. I have reverted back to Google Maps for good I think although Here We Go is also quite good. There are others. Whilst a lot of people do know this there are still a lot of people who don't realise that you can download Google Map regions on your phone and use them offline which means you are not using mobile data at all. It's totally free. Furthermore, some others don't know that you can plan an interesting route on your pc then send it to your phone at the touch of a button so it ain't all about the boredom of straight A to B.
    Just my thoughts, at the end of the day we all do what suits us.

• Like Like x 1