Simple Sat Nav For Non Tech Rider

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by curly, Jun 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Off to Spain in 3 weeks, can't wait.
    We always rely on maps and apart from a few mishaps, always get where we want to go.
    Last year we were something of an oddity surrounded by bikes which were packed to the rafters with electronic wizardry, our tank bag containing a map visible through a clear plastic top was certainly the only one anywhere around us.
    This year I am tempted to try a sat nav.
    I do not want to have to mess around with updates from a computer, nor do I need a phone link, communications with the wife, audible instructions or any other "must have" gizmo.
    Is there a suitable unit out there that will fit my bill?
    This is perhaps too much to expect, but worth an ask.
    Curly

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    your mobile phone

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Hi Curly

Any of the base level models* from TomTom or Garmin will do this for you. There is no requirement to plug them in to a computer although you will not get any map updates from the version loaded if you don't - I plug my TomTom in every six months or so. You can turn off the voice, there is no requirement to sync your phone and they are pretty easy to use. Look out for discontinued models if you want a good deal as the basic features will still be there. Batteries should last a couple of hours unless you hook up a switched power feed and you can tuck them into your clear map pocket or get a suitable bar clamp.

*TomTom Rider 42 and the Garmin Zumo 346 are both £300 normally.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I'm useless with phones as well!
    I think this stuff is well out of my depth to be honest.

5. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Thanks for that SirTrev,
    I have looked at the Garmin unit you refer to at a local outlet for that price.
    I would be relying purely on visible instructions and wonder if this can work without being able to hear them?
    My eyesight is pretty good, but the screen isn't massive.
    Curly

6. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    If you are happy with maps, stick with them, they ad a bit of mystique to a trip, use the phone as a back up, have some practices before you go. As long as you enter your destination in you will get there but the route will be up to you

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Another possibly cheaper option is a car satnav housed in a bike specific waterproof cover (Givi manufacture some good ones and easily picked up on ebay). I would suggest getting a bluetooth unit fitted so you can hear the instructions rather than looking for them on the unit. Cheap bluetooth units that can be easily attached to your helmet are also picked up on ebay, you will have to make sure the satnav you buy has bluetooth, if it is a bike specfic satnav as those suggested by sirTrev, it will have bluetooth. Most satnavs do not have a huge battery life so you may have to consider power, either taken from the bike or external such as the external batteries that were discussed on the forum this week. Dilligaf identified some at a good price.
    I use my phone with google maps and co-pilot app, both work well and I can have some music too, I prefer this as one unit does everything. But I still have a paper map too :)
    Good luck curly, it seems like a chore, but once you have it set up they are very helpful.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    What kind of phone do you have?

9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Cheers.
    Co pilot app is that google or iphone?
    @curley whats your phone?

10. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    My phone is a cheap and very poor quality Doro something or other.
    I only buy cheap phones as they never last long, the last one was dropped down a pub toilet pan in Derby when I decided that answering the thing was no problem after several pints, wrong decision.
    i phones, blue tooth, all too complex and consequently out of bounds to me I'm afraid.
    The trouble is I'm not champing at the bit to learn about this stuff, I know I asked the question but I reckon I'm destined to stay in the stone age and carry on with maps.
    Thanks for all the advice and responses though
    Curly

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I think you'll struggle to find an easy half-way-house when it comes to gadgets like a sat nav.
    To get the best out of it, find the fun roads, etc, you need to put those routes in through a pc. Otherwise it will just take you the quickest route from a to b, rarely the best route n a bike.
    Stick to maps or jump in with both feet. We'll help you to use route planners like myroute-app if need be. Not that difficult, and worth it imho.

Never have sound on mine, too distracting. Just keep eye on screen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    I converted to Sat-nav a couple of years ago after getting lost in the last few miles of trips trying to find specific addresses. I have been using a car Tom Tom in the tank bag under the clear panel. It died on my last trip, probably lack of care and vibrations but it was cheap around £100 or so and did about 25,000 miles.
    We have named the Garmin my mate used the Magical Mystery Box as it sent us on some very strange diversions!

• Like Like x 1
  13. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Most car satnavs don’t Connect to helmet bluetooths. But They do have bigger screens. If you don’t want to use a pc then satnavs aren’t really for you as trying to set a route on one is a pia.

14. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    That's a very generous offer SJ, thanks.
    I am not working Thursday this week, a ride over to Nottingham anytime that day is no problem, even on my low tech Newchurch!
    How does this fit in with your plans?
    Have to go to work now and as my crappy phone ( or is it me? ) doesn't do e mail I won't be looking at this forum again until after 7pm tonight
    Curly

15. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Nothing wrong with maps provided you don't need glasses (like me) to read them. The other downside is that you have to stop to read them - not a problem on a scenic ride but a nightmare in a town or city. I would think about a cheap Bluetooth headset (mine is from Aldi) - not always a good idea to rely solely on looking at the screen. :)

16. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    I've mounted my TT Rider by the clocks so it's easy to glance at the route and see junction layouts. Might go with the bluetooth headphones one day but for now I'm happy with visible only. Agree with the above too on fun routes are best planned in advance on the PC (I use Tyre) but the avoid motorways features often has me on nice roads on it's own so I'm happy. Always have a map in the topbox and my phone as backups. As above I got to within five miles of my destination once three years ago and could not find it so gave in and bought the TT. Got a car one first and used a waterproof cover which was fine but wanted the windy route and better visibility so got the Rider after a year which is for me easier to see and I can get better mounts for it.

I know you can use a phone almost as well but I prefer dedicated units as they are a bit better suited for the application, even if you do have to carry more. Will be getting another GPS unit soon for my Geocaching as phones do not work well under tree canopies like full on hiking GPS units do.

Good luck with your choices Curly and if you're unsure just ask - we all started from scratch with new tech once.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Thanks SJ, got your number, text you Weds to see what suits?
    I'm thinking that what you and Sir Trev are saying is selling the idea to me, seeing it working will be very interesting indeed.
    Curly

18. Bikerkate

Bikerkate New Member

Jun 19, 2018
    London, UK
    Hey Curly,

This won't be ready in time for your trip in three weeks (and you do need Bluetooth on a reasonably good phone) but didn't want to not tell you about this option in case it was interesting in the future.

I use a Beeline (www.beeline.co) sat nav on my bicycle and they emailed me the other week to say that they're just about to launch a Kickstarter for a motorbike version (I'm just going to buy a mount so that I can put it on my Street Triple). It works really well on a bicycle! Super simple...I just put the route in on my phone and then it's just one big clear arrow to follow. Not hard tech wise to use (I am not good with tech and it's fine!) and definitely the best nav option I've found.

Haven't tried it yet on my motorbike but I think it's going to be awesome. Anyway they also said they're doing a competition to win one (no risks if you manage that!) and this is the link to enter for that: https://beeline.co/pages/moto-competition

I hope this helps with your decision. Let me know if you have any more questions about it :)

Kate

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Must admit I've been watching this for a while now - keeps coming up on Facebook but not yet ready for motorcycles (until now). Have signed up to be notified when it's ready - looks like a simple solution for not getting lost!

20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Beeline - That's OK when you have a phone signal to route find! You try when your leaving Durness ???

Too simple for use on a motorbike. OK when doing 10 mph around a city, but 60 mph up a nice A road in Scotland ??? I'll stick to a proper unit, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire

Oddly enough I have a Ram Mount on my bicycle and use my TomTom Rider on it when we're exploring new places by pedal power. It warns me of junctions way too early of course as I'm going slower than it expects me to be...