Simple Indicators on Device

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by MrOrange, Jan 18, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

My first expierence of biking on the road was my CBT. The only problem I had, was leaving the indicators on. So bad that the instructor actually said that he was going to fail me, if i left them on one more time.
    Move forward 6 years, and I am still bloody useless at remembering to turn the little blinking beggars off, but getting better. then I bought a bloody bike with the reminder light ON THE TANK !!!!! How blinking useless is that ???
    SO I have spent the pricely sum of £3.50 and rigged up a system that goes 'BEEP' everytime they flash. Admittedly it sounds like a truck backing up, but hopefully it will help me to remember.

Just a pair of Piezo buzzers off Ebay, wired them up to the indicator warning light. Need a pair , as they are polarised unlike a bulb. Therefore need one for left and one for the right. Thought might have to put a diode in, but not needed. Just trimmed insulation on wire to the wee bulb, and soldered on. Glue gun used to fix them to underside of the tank cowl thingy. Not road tested yet, but are quite loud, so should be able to hear them ok, as road speed won't be that high as I pull away from a junction or just after pulled over / in. The snow it currently halting a road test!!!

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-24V-95D...hash=item5b116e4df4:m:mQGHcC1kZo9Qbq3S2-owQAw

• Like Like x 1
  2. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Nice modification. Thanks for posting!!!

3. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    My indicators turn themselves off automatically.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    "Ooooooooooh, hark at Gloria!"

• Like Like x 2
  5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Can't you get a unit that automatically cancels indicators? Apart from the thumb that is?

6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Don't think so, well not aftermarket. Would have to be a modern electical system to handle such complexity, not old school America electrics.

I have seen a buzzer that sounds after a certain length of time for sale, but thought i would try this first. like simple solutions.

7. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Don't ya just hate a SMARTAR$E
    :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Nice one Mr O, might just try it myself

• Like Like x 1
  9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Nice little job - my Bonnie had a beeper for the indicators option on the Acumen alarm it came fitted with. Started beeping after so many flashes with an ascending tone. Turned it off in the end as it drove me mad. My CBT instructor told me the best way not to forget to turn them off was to check the indicator switch as you pull the clutch in.

10. Can you please draw a diagram where you connected the buzzers to and the where the earth goes to
    Sorry unable to make it out in your pic
    I like what you done and want to do the same as i often leave the flashers on
    Many thanks Will be using this on my 2013 america
    Keith

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Easy enough. The two wires going to the indicator warning lamp, stripped about 5 mm length of insulation off of them. Didn't cut them just stripped back a length. Then take the red from one buzzer and the black from the other buzzer and soldered them together, then soldered both these to one of the feed wires, then repeat for the other two wires from the buzzer.

[​IMG]

12. Many nthanks Mr O

13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Went out for a bit of a soggy foggy run today. As a first test it was very succesful. Could here them easily up to 40mph and had a laugh when my pal on his America LT pulled away from the cafe and left his indicator on !!!

Never once left my indicator running and even my two pillions could hear them easily (Pillion'ed seperately, not some crazy up ride !!!). For the pricely sum of £3.50 and less than an hour in the garage, a nice simple solution.

For some reason they have a slightly different tone each, so I could even tell if it was the right (deeper) or left (higher) indicator that was flashing, nice little bonus. Probably due to the glue gun blobs I used to attatch them to the underside of the tank binnacle.