Silverstone Unofficial Results.

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by darkman, Aug 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    40137811_10212609835496630_2788214844971548672_n.jpg

• Funny Funny x 11
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Cancelled according to BT coverage :-(

3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:mad:Sat all Feckin day waiting for them to make a Feckin decision :mad:
    Bunch of sissy pants softies :mad:
    Ended up watching football instead :)
    Proper sport played by men who didn’t stay in the changing rooms just because it was raining :eek:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    #4 DANSOME, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    I can't really blame the riders. From where I was sitting, the track looked more like a pool than something worthy of doing 200mph on. Even the safety-cars were having trouble keeping it between the lines and almost lost it a couple of times. Someone has definitely cut corners when it came to resurface this circuit (same happened at COTA with less dramatic results, mind you). Heads should roll!
    Also, this was my first time at a British GP but for a race that is held in such a rain-prone region I was surprised to find so few places to seek shelter from the elements.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    I sat in all day waiting for the racing. Was supposed to start early at 11.30 UK time. What a waste of a day.
    Surely they can come up with some sort of drainage. They need to urgently fix this issue or look for a different venue. There that’s my 2 pennies worth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    While sharing the general disappointment the issue was clearly aquaplaning in c**p visibility.

After a day on and off the bus and Rabat getting mown down in a multiple skate off that will likely end his season, if not worse, I don’t blame the riders.

Armchair warriors have no bones, never mind skin, in the game. How many of us fancy aquaplaning at 80 never mind 160?

Silverstone has been let down by its asphalt contractors and race direction needs to be more decisive sooner and act and inform accordingly. If track conditions are marginal why not a rolling start behind a pace car after 3 or 4 laps? That would give all concerned a better feel for the art of the possible and for raised hands to deliver a red flag.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I can see a messy insurance wrangle between Donna, Silverstone and the asphalt contractors as to what was beyond whose control .....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Donna - Freudian slip!

9. Help me Obi Wan...

Help me Obi Wan... Well-Known Member

Rain.

Rain Idiots.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    I have just received the following email:

"Dear Customer,

Following Silverstone Circuit’s cancellation announcement of the 2018 GoPro British Grand Prix on Sunday, we are sincerely sorry for how this has impacted you as our customer.

The reason for the cancellation of the race were safety concerns due to the extreme weather conditions, which is beyond our control. In circumstances such as this, only Silverstone Circuit can release a policy in response to the situation, and we will work with them to communicate and support this process to our customers.

We understand you are eager to receive further information about a potential refund for your tickets. However, it may take a number of days for Silverstone Circuit to announce the official procedures surrounding the cancellation. We are grateful for your patience whilst we wait for this information.

Thank you for your understanding."

To me this translates to:

"Dear Customer,
    We are preparing the lube. Brace for entry!
    Thank you for understanding"

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Can’t believe they would try and wriggle out of a full refund. It’s no different to a cancellation of a music concert.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yes, got the same email, not holding my breath, I'm sure they'll be telling me how I still enjoyed the Friday & Saturday action and offer some half arsed voucher for next year. :rolleyes:
    I follow all the MotoGP rounds on telly (only reason I subscribe BTsport) but first time I've attended live for many years, doubt I'll bother again anytime soon. Cost of tickets and accommodation and the vagaries of the Great British weather make it just not worth the pain (IMO).
    Only plus side, by 1:00pm I was wet and cold enough to call it a day, as it turned out - one of my better decisions.
    (I'm obviously just as big a wuss as the riders ;))

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    It was ridiculous really, us here in Holland are not that far from the UK but it was pretty nice on Sunday here. I think if I ever move back to England I’ll buy myself some high heeled Wellies (do they make them??)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Sods law prevails, unusually we've had a glorious scorching summer for months.....until last week. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Defo would have event cancellation insurance cover. So everyone who purchased a ticket for Sunday should & im sure will get a refund

16. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    Same here. Last time I attended a GP was in Estoril in 2006 where Nicky Hayden was infamously took out by Dani Pedrosa during the championship that he would end up winning.
    Despite yesterday's disappointment I'm still eager to see another GP (I nearly got emotional just from hearing those machines roar during WUP). Maybe I'll wait until next year to see Triumph's engines in action but this time I will definitely be aiming for a southern GP, probably in sunny Spain!

17. Help me Obi Wan...

Help me Obi Wan... Well-Known Member

But don't they (footballers) wear gloves to keep their hands warm and funny bicycle shorts in winter ?.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    last time i went to a british GP was over 25 years ago at Donnington,that was the year Niall Mackenzie nicked 3rd place from Foggy as he ran out of fuel at the last corner,Doohan crashed into Schwantz..facilities were abysmal and the prices for the food (if you could call it that) were ridiculous. GPs in Europe are so much better in every way

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The last time I was at Silverstone was the epic Roberts/Sheene race viewed from Becketts. I saw far more in subsequent TV replays less the smell of two stroke oil........

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dave Teece

Dave Teece Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    And just how many Triumph Forum buddies does this flat hold? :kissing_heart:

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Dave Teece

Dave Teece Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    And just how many Triumph Forum buddies does this flat hold? :kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 2