Shoei/sena Intercom Models

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by andyc1, Mar 23, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I've got a Shoei neotec 2 with the Sena SRL intercom. As far as I know its model specific. Just wondering if anybody knows will the intercom fit a GT air 2?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Its alright I have the answer... different mic for the SRL2 (for gt-air 2) but it should still work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    With it being built into the neotec,how will that work putting it on another lid?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    You have to remove plastic covers at either side of the lid and one at the back to install the sena, easily reversible. Actually a very neat arrangement.
    download.jpeg-2.jpg

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Aaron Brown

Aaron Brown apprentice mad reclusive genius

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    I had the SRL in my Neotec2. I took it back out and replaced it with a Sena 50. I detested the SRL, for two main reasons:
    • You have to bring the entire helmet in order to charge the SRL (there's no removable battery pack), and they put the charging port AT THE BOTTOM, so you have to put your helmet upside down, on its side, or hang it off of a counter to charge.
    • You can't use the SRL if it's charging. This was the dealbreaker for me. I do a lot of day-long rides, and I'll regularly run my bluetooth headset out of juice. With any of the other SENA units, this is no big deal. I pull off and park somewhere, pull out a charger pack, attach it to my SENA, put the charging pack in the pocket of my jacket, and ride on out, with the unit fully functional. You CANNOT DO THIS with the SRL. If it's charging, the unit is unusable until you unplug it again. That's an asinine design decision on SENA's part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Hey andyc1, what do you think of the Neotec? I've got my eye on one as my next helmet as soon as lockdown eases. I currently have a Schuberth C3 Pro but have been left unimpressed given the price they are.

7. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Haven't had an issue to be honest, its the only intercom I've owned. They give you an angled usb for charging but I always found myself resting the lid upside down against a wall because I dont like setting weight on the connector. Battery life is great though! 2 full days seem easy enough and that was was with the intercom constantly on and receiving sat-nav instrustions, @Dougie D can confirm, he has one too. I only really use it for touring.
    Removable battery does sound convenient but I've never felt the need to be able to charge it while in use since the battery life is very good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I don't intend to use an intercom but was thinking more of things like comfort, ventilation, etc.

9. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Its comfy! The chin vent is the best I've experienced, it shoots a strong blast of air right up the inside of the visor. Its also heavy though but I believe that is a characteristic of most flip up lids? I don't notice the weight while riding but I do when stationary. I think its got 2 safety ratings so its legal to ride with the front up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Slightly warm helmet too, but its not been a problem at all, worth mentioning though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #11 Pegscraper, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    The ventilation on the Schuberth is barely adequate IMO. In hot weather it's sweatily uncomfortable and it's a black one which doesn't help. It too is heavier than a normal full face helmet like the Arai RX7 it replaced. Wouldn't go back to a non-flip though.

12. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    The chin vent is superb! The vent on the top really just cools a pretty small spot on the top of your head :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aaron Brown

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    My battery on the SRL never once lasted more than a day on a single charge, even when coming straight off the charger before leaving in the morning. More like 7-8 hours at most between charges, if constantly in use, was my experience.

Every other SENA device I've owned has had superior battery performance.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Aaron Brown

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    I do like the Neotec helmet itself. It's comfortable, well-ventilated (even in the summers in central Texas), and fits snugly. It's a tad heavy, but so's every modular helmet I've ever worn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    like @andyc1 says, the battery life is good for a couple of normal riding days. I've found it to be a really comfortable lid (probably the comfiest lid I've had) and I've never noticed that it's heavier than other lids when I'm riding.it's also dead easy to use the flip up, unlike another flip up which i found really fiddly..i think it was a schuberth but not 100% on that

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    I've got a Shoei Neotec and the Sena 10U. Love the helmet and never really noticed the weight but that is similar to other flip ups. I had to get the 10U changed under warranty as the battery life was not good. The current one lasts a long time (never measured it but more than a day) but you can't charge and use it at the same time which is, as Aaron says, a bit asinine. On a tour you might need that ability as there is no way of telling how much juice is left.

• Like Like x 1
  17. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    With the srl you just say "hello Sena, check battery" and a nice lady tells you :)

18. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    I don't think the 10U has that - not enough room for someone to be inside it.....

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Picked up the new Shoei Neotec 2 today and very pleased with it. I went a size bigger than my Schuberth C3 Pro which I always found a bit tight on the forehead despite being the largest size available at 62-63 (XXL). The Shoei XXL is a 63-64 fit and is perfect, plus the top ventilation is way better along with the aforementioned chin vent. I think it's a tad noisier than the C3 but that doesn't really bother me. Overall the fit and finish are top notch.

• Like Like x 1