Featured Shoei JO Hawker Tc-5 open face helmet

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by crispey, Mar 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well you're probably familiar with Doris's lid
    ace2.jpg
    which was an old TopTek, noisy, tried to lift off my head at anything over 45mph and must weigh about 5 kilos, well it was getting too old and the lining was falling out, its not getting chucked but kept.
    It was time to get a new one
    IMG_2471.jpg

Well I bought one of these as I had tried on loads of different makes and found most to be uncomfortable around the forehead and also made me look like a teflon man.
    I had tried one on ages ago and found it to be amazingly comfortable and extremely light, just 1 kilo, when i picked up the box it came in I couldn't be sure there was a helmet in there!
    The problem with buying a new helmet is that you have no idea what its going to be like when riding, yes, you know it fits nicely or looks cool, never really both at the same time, but what about when you're on the bike doing sixty miles an hour?
    I had my first ride out with it today and yes, even though I say so myself, it looked cool! was still really comfortable at 70mph, did not try to lift and , for an open face helmet was very quiet.
    As mentioned before its only a kilo so less strain on the neck, visibility is great, to be expected on an open face, it has a pull down integral visor, very easy to use with 3 preset positions depending where you want it. you can wear glasses or sunglasses underneath quite comfortably
    IMG_2472.jpg
    It has d lock strap mechanism with a popper to secure the end of the strap, no getting flicked constantly under the chin and the leather and cloth lining is fully removable if it should need washing
    IMG_2474.jpg
    You can still wear goggles with it, probably not with the visor down though and it has a retaining strap on the back.
    I know its expensive £349 gone up by £50 from last year, but you can still get it from places at the old price of £299. I got mine from MotoLegends online for that price. Having tried several different makes on, this one to me was by far the lightest and most comfortable in the shop and has proved the same whilst out on Doris so for now I thank god for credit cards

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Hope all you Brexiteers are bloody satisfied with sterling crashing ;)

• Like Like x 3
  3. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Buy British!

• Like Like x 1
  4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    That is a nice looking helmet, must be carbon fibre at that weight ?

5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I tried that same style at J&S in Finedon a few weeks back. I liked to 01 version with the red on it. It's on my shortlist for the summer season, especially if I can find it cheaper. It's glass fibre btw.

6. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    not for the sake of a sore head! I drink british beer for that

• Like Like x 3
  7. v8dve

v8dve Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Southampton
    Yeah, nice one Crispey. I recently tried the Shoei J.O and also found it very comfortable. At the time the sales guy couldnt tell me if they did a tinted visor. Since found that there is a tinted visor available although has to purchased seperately.

8. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    I'm not a big fan of open face lids (though I used to live in a Davida in the mid eighties on my old Velo) - but the J0 would be my first choice. Looks a great mix of modern/retro.

Nice one crispey.

9. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    I am a fan of open face lids, just more comfortable, Davida for the Thruxton and Shoei J Cuise for the Explorer, when touring in warmer climes just better especially with sun visor.

Teejay

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #10 Rich Bryce, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Definitely going to buy one not least cos of all the weight I've lost I'm no longer a big 'ed so current summer HJC lid gets a bit flappy over 50mph. There's an on-line store selling the plain white or black for £260 and the ones with graphics for £300. I'm now prevaricating over which to choose. I have a white Tiger and a black Street Twin. The open face will mostly be worn posing on the ST. Don't want to be accused of being a copycat so maybe not the same as crispey but I do like the subtle blue/grey on the side. On the short list is this and others:
    Shoei Red.jpg

Shoei Black.jpg

Shoei Blue.jpg

Shoei Carburettor.jpg

Shoei White.jpg

11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well as long as we don't turn up at the same social function wearing the same helmet I'm sure it'll be fine

• Like Like x 1
  12. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Just took my shoei out on the tiger. Quite Buffetty at around 70mph but that's down to the screen, drop my head 5 " and the noise reduces by 75%
    Still very comfy and light. Really am going to have to sort my screen out!

13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Thinking of changing my AGV open face as it is quite noisy and does lift up at anything above 60 mph.
    Thought it was OK two years ago but not that happy with it now.

14. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Ditto

15. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Definitely no lifting on the shoei. Both on Doris and Traceyi would recommend you try one on, really light and comfy. Motolegends near Guildford have them in stock and sell them at the old price. Move quick and get the red one before Rlch does:p

16. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
  17. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well if we do arrange a meet up you could always ( I'm going to regret saying this) take my helmet for a spin!!:oops::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  18. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I already regret you saying that! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    That's where I saw them on line.

Cheeky fecker. Good mind now to turn up at GMU with a blue 'un.

20. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Hows the sizing on these lids? I mean like, if you normally wear a large in others brands does a large JO fit?