Shock Service And Setup

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Bryan3R, Jun 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    #1 Bryan3R, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Finally got round to booking the Speed in for service of the Ohlins shock as it's a 7 year old bike, it had new fork seals and oil b4 I picked it up a year ago.
    Picked a crap day, but as it was about a 2 week wait for an appointment I decided to ride over in the rain! Made the mistake of putting phone in outside pocket, which got wet and died, which I only found out when I took it out once I got to Braintree, so had no directions. So after another hour I found them.
    Used FTR Suspension in Beazley End, Braintree in north Essex.
    All went well, all service items replaced and a fresh fill of Ohlins 5wt oil and regassed.
    Didn't need to have much adjusted as I had sorted out settings myself, ignoring the owners manual and winding all the preload off, which gave me the sag I was after. As it happens they only put half a turn back on the rear spring and left the fronts on 7 turns in. This gave me 38mm sag front and rear.
    I had put settings to standard when I first got the bike, but then went to the comfort settings which was a lot better for me, I weigh 12st 7lbs.
    James suggested going back to the standard settings, and going in 1 more click on the front compression damping.
    I'll see how it feels after some dry rides.

so my setting are:
    Front
    Sag = 38mm
    Preload = 7 turns in
    Comp = 14 clicks out
    Rebound = 10 clicks out

Rear
    Free sag = 12mm
    Rider sag = 38mm
    Preload = half turn in from fully out
    Comp = 17 clicks out
    Rebound = 10 clicks out

Cost
    service including oil £85
    remove and refit shock £40
    consumable internals £17.40
    VAT £28.88
    Total £173.28

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Looks good, but can’t help noticing the rebound settings only 10 clicks out. That’s slower rebounding than the track setting. How does it feel on bumpy roads?

3. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Ftr are a good firm, had my speed set up there when I first got it.

4. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    no. its faster Steve, 2 clicks further out = less damping.
    Roads were shit so cant ride it properly, I think I prefer the comfort setting as that what I changed to a few months ago, but I'll run with their suggested setting for a few rides and see how I fell.

5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    FTR did my previous Speed Triple 2010 too

6. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Sorry, had a grey moment . I have my rebound at 14 and feels pretty good. I’ll have to try a little slower and see what I think.

7. HTB

HTB New Member

May 25, 2019
    nottingham
    Be interesting to see if you stick with it.

I want to have a go at setting up my suspension, but am a little confused over getting the sag number. I understand what it is and how to set it up, but keep seeing different figures e.g. RIDE magazine said for most sports tourers and nakeds 10-15mm rear and 25 at the front, many others state 30-40mm and some a % of total travel available?? Yours is obviously within the 30-40mm range or is this the figure from % total lol?

I'm in the same boat that my bike (new RS) is too firm on the rough country lanes but great on good surfaces, so will be looking to set up more on the comfort side of things.

It's my first speedy and so any ideas from my fellow owners appreciated, 6ft, 17st.

8. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    #8 Bryan3R, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    They set rider sag at 38mm front and rear with me sat on the bike, that’s rider sag.
    Then need to check you have some free sag which is about 10-12mm.
    If you can’t get those numbers together then you would need spring change.
    With the factory set sag, my bike had no free sag on the rear, the front with standard 7 turns in was about right.
    As a guide the bike needs to be sitting in 1/3 of its travel with you sat on bike, this allows travel into dips, otherwise wheel would top out and lift off the road.
    Just checked the set up card, they set rear free sag at 12mm on the rear, not showing what the front was but should be about the same.

9. HTB

HTB New Member

May 25, 2019
    nottingham
    Cheers Bryan, makes sense now. I'll have a go next weekend if I can teach my mrs how to use a tape measure ;)

10. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    2595DFBA-BC77-42EE-82BD-CFFF7454FBFA.jpeg Stick a tiewrap round one of you fork lowers too, this will show you how much of your travel you are using, and you can increase/decrease preload as needed.
    Plus you can get her to slide up up when you are sitting on the bike, get off carefully and will show static sag.

11. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I thought static sag was the amount of travel from suspension fully extended to when weight’s on the wheels without a rider on. :confused:

12. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    I mixed it up a bit there, you can use it to measure both static and rider sag, slide it up to dust seal then unweight front to measure static, or with you sat on it for rider sag.
    But net best way to do rider as you could compress forks a bit getting off.
    There are a few videos on YouTube by Dave Moss showing how to measure and set sag.