Shindengen Series Type Regulator/rectifiers

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Flay, Aug 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    Over the years there has been much posted about upgrading charging systems by replacing older shunt reg/recs with newer series types. In my case I have fitted my 955i Tiger with the 775 using the Triumph link lead and all has been working fine. I believe the reg/rec of choice is now the 847 type though this is more desireable on high revving (+10 thou) engines.
    Just recently I aquired a Shindengen reg/rec off a nearly new - written off at under 200 miles ! - 2019 Kawasaki ZX10R, and this reg/rec is numbered SH866AA. This looks like a straight swap for the earlier 775 as the sockets appear identical except that there are 3 outlet pins which is interesting.
    Does anybody here know anything about this regulator, could it be used in place of the 775 and 847 ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    I didn't realise he was on this forum. All my info comes from his posts on triumphrat.net

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    I don't know it specifically, however I would suspect that it is a std SCR-Type Shunt Regulator, other than it is from a 2019, but that model has been used for quite some time - have no real judgement I'm afraid. Your only option is to try and see - if it gets REALLY Hot it's a shunt system - if it is only moderately warm, it's probably Series. The one thing it is probably NOT is a MOSFET Shunt device as these all are in the FH series. The acid test of course is to measure the current on the stator which would tell what it is.

On Kawasakis the extra pin is for headlight control and is an output tied to one (AC) phase of the Stator - it goes to a relay-logic circuit controlling the starter and headlights that keeps the headlight off completely at key-on until the engine is started and the starter button is released. You would just leave this pin un-terminated on a non-Kawasaki application.

• Like Like x 2
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Woh that is very useful info.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. motocat12

motocat12 New Member

Mar 18, 2020
    NC
    #5 motocat12, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    New user here and joined to pick this back up. I believe the SH866 is a series regulator & will be testing it out soon. All the shunt ones I've seen are potted and this is alloy plated but like said above doesn't have the mosfet prefix. The older zx10/14 bike's regulator was already mosfet so I can't see them going down. The case size also looks larger than the previous mosfet units similar to the SH847.

6. motocat12

motocat12 New Member

Mar 18, 2020
    NC
    Installed. 13.3v at Idle 14.3 up to 8000rpm. It's inside the nose fairing so I can't check it for heat.