Service

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by William Gillies, Jul 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. William Gillies

William Gillies Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Kelso
    hi folks got a price for a service on my thunderbird 1600 but they want £60 for parts which is OK but £160 for labour .ouch so might do it myself but not done a service on a bike since I was a teenager how hard can it be your thoughts

2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Don't know where Muddy Sump is based but @William Gillies is in Kelso, Scotland so may be an issue?

TBH a straight oil change type service is not that difficult for most shed mechanics.

3. William Gillies

Jul 17, 2018
    Kelso
    #3 William Gillies, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Thanks guys will have a look but I am a bit far for him . I think ..now i should manage a basic service

• Like Like x 2
  4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Muddysump doesn't do Thunderbirds as he says they need securing on a bike ramp to do it properly.

Copy of his email reply to me:
    MuddySump <[email protected]>
    Wed 24/06/2020 22:17

Hi HV
    No, don’t work on them sorry. You need to have them strapped to a bench really to be stable enough to work on.
    Don’t know anybody else to do it either.
    Thanks
    David

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The lubrication service is very straightforward.
    https://triumphbonneville.org/wp-content/uploads/triumph-maintenance-schedule.pdf
    Which bits of this schedule give you any concerns? Your air filter is probably fine. Blow it through backwards with an airline and save a few baubies! You can synchronise throttle bodies using TuneECU (free) and a laptop plus a cheap lead (which you need to buy.) Which service is due? You can order everything online and I assume you are well out of warranty anyway. You could just get the dealer (Edinburgh?) to do the diagnostic stuff, maybe while you wait.
    Coincidentally I was in Kelso this a.m.

• Like Like x 1
  6. William Gillies

Jul 17, 2018
    Kelso
    Hi . Its just a basic service I'm hoping to do . Plugs ...oil filter air filter and change the oil . I don't think much of two wheels at edinburgh (triumph dealer) so probably won't go there . Im off to Newcastle on Saturday so might pop into triumph dealer down there then wander up westgate Road not been there for a few years