765 Service Light - Unable To Reset

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by johne, Dec 3, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Well the gizmo has landed and I've read the instructions, but the temperature in the garage is somewhat cool at the moment (no heating in there) , so I'll plug it in and sort things out when the ambient temperature is a bit less like the Baltic. :joy::joy:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Don't forget to unzip the PDF files before use, you can do all this in the comfort of home before connecting it to the machines ECU, once connected with the ignition on the DT will read the ECU data, it will be useful to take a photo of the numbers and e mail these to DT and they will send a code back, when entered it unlocks everything and you are good to go. It is more sophisticated than people think, you can disable (temporary or permanently) all manner of things (eg heated grips), this is useful in isolating items when fault finding more complex issues if they arise.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    All sorted! I got the unlock code from dealer tool and now the weather has warmed up I managed to reset the service interval warning with very little bother, so the good news is if I can do it then just about anyone can. ;)

• Like Like x 6
  4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Glad you have it sorted, you can carry out everything a dealer can using the tool, don't forget anything you do with the DT will not affect the ECU, that can't be accessed via the DT so no worries about messing anything up, everything can be easily put back to standard factory settings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I used Dealertool on my previous Street Scramblers with no issues. My new 1200 (along with other new models) now has a later 6 pin diagnostic connector and Dealertool does not support these yet. I also noticed today that when a service interval is reached you lose the odometer reading. It is replaced with "Service interval due" and the mileage reading starts counting from 0 with a minus figure. A reached the first 600m service interval today and went over by 24m so the mileage now says -24. Wierd!

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Pegscraper, Triumph are making it more difficult to re set things like the service light, it appears they want owners to take it to a Triumph dealer, you can have it independently serviced and Triumph say this will not invalidate the warranty, home servicing will they say void the warranty, it is a rip off with the servicing and repairs, almost a £1000 for a 12,000 mile service on say a STRS 765rs. Let's hope Dealertool come up with a fix soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I contacted DT back in March and they said the new bikes have ECU's with added security software to prevent third party access but they are 99% sure they will be able to support these bikes in the next month or so. They will also be able to supply a 16 to 6 pin adapter. I have the first service (600m) booked for later this week, which will be around £250, then it's 10k miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. Long gone are the days of a first service with free labour and just the oil and filter to pay for.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    .........I didn't notice any difference in performance or loss of any other functions, other than the odometer reading, when the service mileage was reached so, maybe, if you're not bothered about that and the service indicator being lit then you could service the bike yourself and ride as normal. I can see this putting people off buying these bikes when they're a few years old and out of warranty but still locked into dealer servicing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Just had my Speed Twin 900 1st service (600 miles) at Fowlers and charged £61 for oil and filter. Labour included in price of the bike.

Alfie

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    What, £250 for an oil and filter change?
    What else do you get for the cost?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    A service indicator reset and, erm......not sure what else.
    £249.24 (£256.44 including dealer charges) according to the online service booking. The first service on my first Street Scrambler (different dealer) was around the same yet the first service on the second one was around £60 for oil etc with free labour.

12. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
  13. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    Probably falls somewhere between theft and fraud :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Whilst this sounds about right it is an awful lot of crinkle. My Striple was two years old in October last year. In order to maintain my warranty and breakdown recovery on the bike I had an annual service carried out by the dealer before we went on our annual sojourn to Wales in August. In addition to the annual service I also had the brake fluid changed as it was only two months shy of this biannual stipulation.

Whilst I will happily undertake same on my Ducati myself I understand that the ABS pump needs to be purged and was unsure as to the procedure.

Anyway back to the cost which was £283 and the odometer reading was only 1,950| miles.

As an aside when I was getting the Ducati tested I asked my MoT man (not a Triumph dealer) if he had the facility to purge the ABS pump for the Striple’s biannual brake fluid change. He and his oppo both burst out laughing and said that this biannual requirement was a ripoff and advised me to purchase a brake fluid tester and only carry out this operation when the tester indicated that it was actually required.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I believe Dealertool has an ABS purge function, whatever that is. I changed the fluid on my ZZR in 2020 at 8 years old, using a pressure bleeder. It has ABS but there's no mention of any specific ABS purging procedure in the FSM. The brakes were fine before the change and felt exactly the same after it.

16. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Yes, Dealertool will purge the ABS modulator enabling a brake fluid change.

17. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    • Useful Useful x 2
  18. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Had the first (600m) service today and a very nice surprise. Booked online the price is £256.44 but ended up just £69 for parts with free labour! Plus, picked up a nice pair of leather Summer gloves for £65, reduced from £80 so happy days!:grinning::grinning:
    Today's lesson, don't believe everything you read on the internet.:joy: