Service intervals

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Richard H, Jul 20, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Due to go away on holiday on the bike shortly, the bikes got about 5200 miles on at the moment and I expect it to have around 6800 on when I return. Service book says service at 6000 or one year (bike is only 8 months old), so do I get it done now early or wait until its over the recommended service miles?

It had its first service at 663 miles in November

I wonder how far out on getting your bike serviced would cause issues if you have a warranty claim? Perhaps some of the dealers on here may have an opinion?

2. Was in a similar position with my first service Rich - track day approaching and running out of time to get the miles in for 1st service so called Bill Smith Motors (The supplier) who advised they'd want AT LEAST the stated 500 miles before carrying out the service. A first, not a second service I know but the principle may still apply...

3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Think I've made my mind up now, even if the bike has 6800 when I return it will still have only just done over the 6000 miles since the first service. Need to get your money's worth with the amount main dealers charge for a service!

What's everyone paying for a 6000 mile service?

4. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    I think it depends on how flexible your dealer is as far as any future warranty issues? My dealer sold a new Tiger to a guy who was going straight off on a 1500 ish mile trip around Europe - way over the recommended miles for the first service! They said no worries and gave him a bottle of oil to top it up if needed and said bring it in when you get back! :upyeah:
    However would it put you off to see bigger gaps in the service book than recommended if buying a bike second hand?

5. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I think you know I've had major issues with dealer services but in general Triumph dealers seem fairly relaxed about deviating from stated intervals so 6,800 should be OK. I think I used to pay about £140 for a 6,000 miler and about £400 for the 12.

• Like Like x 1
  6. almack

almack Member

May 17, 2013
    Nottingham, UK
    I would do it before, as you will still do the next one at 12k so it's immaterial if you do 800 miles extra after the service or 800 miles extra before the service. Doing it before though will also help with checking the bike over for your holiday.